Honolulu Star-Bulletin - January - April 1926

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2002
      Hello, all....

      I have just finished transcribing 5 articles written 1n 1926 by Don
      Blanding from Los Angeles (in the form of letters, actually). They
      were published in the S-B between February 27 and April 24. The
      first of the series was actually a letter dated February 6, from the
      Christie Hotel in Hollywood. They are in Files: Publications:
      Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

      Two of the photos, related to the "Our Gang" articles (March), are
      much too dark to be scanned; even the photocopies off microfilm are
      just mud. However, I have previously added two photos of DB with
      actress Leatrice Joy to Files: Don Blanding: Photos.

      Another article was scheduled for May 1, 1926, and I hope the next
      batch of microfilm will yield May-August 1926.

      The March 6 article is particularly interesting. DB writes
      about "Our Gang," especially Farina, and the John Gilbert
      picture, "The Big Parade." Somewhere I believe I've read that Joe
      Cobb (the fat boy of "our Gang") is still alive in California.
      Anybody want to find out if this is true, and if he recalls
      DB's "shark story?"

      In the March 13 article, DB reveals that he had a brief role as a
      reporter in "Silence" starring H. B. Warner. A P.S. describes his
      newly found "Hawaiian bungalow in California."

      The March 13 piece also mentions the Wampas Frolic, probably held in
      late February or very early March. I am wondering if DB's poem
      about "Virgin Annie" was part of this event. Recently, a
      correspondent queried me about a small booklet that included not
      only DB's humorous poem but also other "off color" pieces. More
      details forthcoming when I find out more about this item.

      Meanwhile, could someone dig into microfilm of the February-March
      1926 Los Angeles papers and see if anything on the Wampas Frolic
      turns up?

      I hope you'll enjoy reading these 1926 articles -- they are a rare
      glimpse into DB as a young man!

      ~~Cadia
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2002
        Hello, all....

        Additional material in Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-Bulletin
        includes short items on the closing of Cross-Roads Studios, the sale
        by Charles Frazier of his advertising company to George Mellen, and
        the move of "Doc" Adams from the Honolulu Advertiser to the Hawaii
        and Princess Theaters.

        ~~Cadia
      • Allen Sawtelle
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2002
          My Grandfather opened the Princess Theater in 1922 and that's where he and
          Gram met Don. They were close buddies for the rest of their lives. Gramp
          opened the Waikiki Theater in 1936 and managed it and played the organ until
          Sept., 1955. Don was always part of the "family" and moved back to the
          mainland when Carmen and Ed did. Best regards, Allen

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20, 2002
            Thanks for sharing Allen

            aloha
            Maui Tom

          • K Cotter
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2002
              Hi Cadia - Here's a photo of Joe Cobb for those who might not remember him
              and an update on his current location. I'll see if I can find something
              more specific. Karen C

              Are any of the Rascals still alive?
              Indeed. Let's see, Shirley Jean Measures (Rickert) is extremely active today
              and is even a member of Our Gang Online. (You can even send her an email if
              you like, shirleyjean@...). Tommy "Butch" Bond is also very
              active promoting the Cabin Fever videos. Porky (Eugene Gordon Lee) lives in
              Minnesota. Going way back to the silents, Joe Cobb and Eugene "Pineapple"
              Jackson are both living in Southern California, as is Mary Ann Jackson.
              Jerry Tucker lives on the East coast. Dorothy DeBorba is also quite active
              and lives here in Northern California. It is rumored that Harry Spear is
              alive, but nobody knows for sure. Of course, Jackie Cooper is still working
              in Hollywood, and Robert Blake has had a long movie career, until last year
              and especially since yesterday! Jean Darling lives in Ireland.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21, 2002
                Allen, send me your home address on my private line.........I have copied all
                your music and need to send it back to you.........tj