Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Museum

  • MauiBandB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9, 2002
      Cadia

      I think your efforts to this end are laudable. I would like to help but at
      this point don't have an idea how. Perhaps I could help with finding a
      location in Honolulu. Definitely I would like to support a traveling exhibit
      to Maui. I would also be willing to offer assistance to the board.

      aloha
      Maui Tom

    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
        Cadia,
        Great thoughts. I had a short talk with George Ellis, the
        director of the Honolulu Academy Art tonight (at the
        opening of a new show on Art and Antiques in private
        collections, which will be a new book as well, and where a
        sample of my blanding wares were prominently displayed)
        and he expressed a keen interest in discussing the
        possibility of putting together or taking care of a
        permanent collection of Blanding materials. While the
        Academy does not have a lot of free space (given their
        huge inventory of stuff), they are by far the best
        repository for art and antiques in Hawaii and would
        safeguard anything that was given them. He thought that
        it might be a great complement to their recent efforts to
        collect exhaustive collections of John Kelley and Charles
        Bartlett. So, there is one lead that might pan out and I
        think it would be worth considering at least putting
        together one collection of stuff for the Academy, even if
        it is not the end all of "our" collective BLanding stuff.

        I am happy to help out in any way that I can, Aloha,
        Michael

        On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:31:46 EDT
        MauiBandB@... wrote:

        Michael T. Pfeffer
      • MauiBandB@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
          Good job Michael
          I think the art academy is a good idea.
          maui tom

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
            I do like Cadia's ideas. We had discussion on this several years ago
            also but we were too new to know what to do. In the last 3 years we have
            seen our group grow. I personally prefer Hawaii as the location for some
            kind of permanent or somewhat permanent museum or repository of our
            collections. Whether we put our collections on loan or donate might be an
            area for discussion as I don't know the policies of museums. I believe
            Hawaii honors DB in a way that no other State can. Hawaii was DB's heart and
            soul, even when he was not living there. We have a small museum here in
            Vacaville and I will make it a point to got there and meet with the Director,
            just to get information. We also have an Arts Council here and I'll check
            into that, as I am very interested in Foundation Grants for the Arts, that I
            think we could apply for if we are a Non-Profit.
            As to drawing tourists. I can only speak from my personal experience of
            the Carmel show. There were many many people in attendance that had not
            heard of Don Blanding. However, by walking through the displays, reading
            some of his poetry and seeing his artwork, they became enthralled with him.
            I can't describe the reaction of some of the people that I met. They were
            truely impressed with DB. I personally spoke to many of these people and
            gave some personal tours of our collection. So, I do believe that with an
            appropriate descriptive display and some brief literature regarding who DB
            was, that we can draw other people into our group with our permanent display.

            I believe the Non-profit idea would solidify the group and give us a
            permanent presence that we don't have right now. And I think this will also
            allow people to provide financial support to us, where that can't happen
            right now. I think that with a Non-profit status, we might also be in line
            for some Foundation Grants for the Arts that would allow us to go after other
            DB material out there that invididually we cannot afford to purchase. As an
            example....I am negotiating for the rights to some material I found in
            Carmel, some of which was displayed in my show. I have not gone too high on
            the money count because it's out of my own pocket but I will end up
            purchasing it eventually at some $$ price. If we had the Non-Profit, we
            could more easily go in and determine value and purchase it. Perhaps as a
            venture for our Non-profit we can create our own Kovel's style book regarding
            DB collectibles with valuations on each item that will serve the general
            public and dealers as to the value of various items, as best we can do
            that???? Just a thought....a money maker???
            I am willing to assist on the development of the Board. I've not
            created one from the ground up before, but I have sat on a lot of Non-profit
            Boards before. So, whatever help I can be let me know. I am retired now and
            I can spend some time doing some research and/or legwork as needed. This is
            exciting to me and I support it wholeheartedly...............tj
          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
              I think TJ has a point that Hawaii does honor Don every Lei Day. Perhaps we could make it a condition if we use a museum as a repository that they must do a Lei Day exhibit and send out a press release each year before lei day to insure his legacy is properly recognized.

              Maui Tom
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                Maui Tom has a great idea on Lei Day.......it's a natural for DB to be
                honored on that day. Also, I am still confused as to the status of DB in
                Hawaiian history. I don't know that he was ever proclaimed as Hawaii's Poet
                Laureate but he is ofter referred to as such in various articles, etc. Does
                anyone have the answer on that?
                I like Karen's analogy that we tie one flower at a time but end up with
                a Lei. Thats sort of what we are doing, so lets not let the next flower sit
                to long.....tj
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                  Michael or Maui Tom: Perhaps for us mainlanders you could provide somekind
                  of brief description or a website we could visit for the Academy. How long
                  have they been around, how are they financed, and in so many words, how
                  secure is their future, as best one can predict this? This would help me a
                  lot......thanks.......tj
                • duchess017
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                    Hi, all...

                    If I'm remembering correctly, the Academy has been around since at
                    least the time DB lived in Hawaii. I think I've seen articles
                    about them in some of the old Star-Bulletin microfilm I've been
                    reading -- though nothing with Blanding's name in it.

                    Speaking of Lei Day, as many of you may know, DB always offered a
                    prize for "the best blue lei" in each year's competition.

                    Michael (or anyone else in Hawaii), can you verify if that prize is
                    still offered in his memory? If not, I would like to propose that,
                    as a group, we create such a prize (or 1st, 2nd, 3rd) starting now.
                    In the 1930s, I believe first prize was something like $15 and the
                    total of DB's contribution about $50.

                    I don't know what today's prize levels are (maybe $50-75 for 1st
                    prize?) but it's the thought that counts anyway.

                    We'll have to hurry, and I'm not sure who handles the competition
                    now, but I'd really like to see the "blue lei" as part of the
                    festivities.

                    ~~Cadia
                  • duchess017
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                      Maui Tom,

                      I like it! Press is what we'll need...and now's a good time to
                      start. May I suggest that each of us, individually, send a
                      short "letter to the editor" to the Star-Bulletin (and/or
                      Advertiser), promoting DB's Lei Day legacy and mentioning this
                      group? Both have websites from which you can obtain their mailing
                      addresses. I'm not sure if they take e-mail submissions.

                      Perhaps as a group we could buy a small display ad in the Star-
                      Bulletin scheduled for May 1 or a day or two beforehand.

                      I am also working to complete transcription of DB's 1928 S-B articles
                      proposing and promoting the first Lei Day. In addition to placing
                      them on the group site (where some of them already reside), I am
                      going to publish them on my own website, at least for awhile if not
                      permanently.

                      Promote, promote, promote. If nothing else, DB was a wonderful
                      publicist, and it's up to us to continue the tradition!

                      ~~Cadia
                    • duchess017
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                        TJ,

                        I love your idea of a "value guide" for DB memorabilia....of course
                        some things will always be "market price" but a guide of our various
                        finds would be useful.

                        As for the non-profit, I already have the paperwork, just need to dig
                        it out and put the details together. Writing bylaws is a little
                        tricky, but with some help from you guys and several other sources, I
                        think we can put something together within the next couple of months.

                        Meanwhile, some sort of promotional flyer or card for this group, as
                        it exists, would be great. Something simple, easily photocopied and
                        available as a stuffer or hand-out to as many people as possible. (I
                        routinely send show flyers and other promotional material with my
                        checks to eBay sellers and in outgoing packages, and provide them at
                        antiques/collectibles shows.) Postcard format would be ideal.
                        Anyone want to create one?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                          Cadia: tj awaits your direction regarding the Non-Profit and a Board. Other
                          than the legal ends of this, I will help do whatever is needed. As any
                          Non-profit I've belonged to, we always had a mission statement of some kind.
                          Sounds kind of corny here, but maybe we need to review it a bit......tj
                        • MauiBandB@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                            Don't believe there is any continuing prize given in his name. Anywhere in
                            Hawaii. I am not sure where there is an annual lei competition on Oahu on
                            Lei Day. There is one on Maui at the Outrigger Wailea where Hula Moons
                            restaurant is.
                            I am sure they would welcome this type of participation.

                            aloha
                            Maui Tom

                          • MauiBandB@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                              http://www.honoluluacademy.org/ 1927 was the year of its inception same as
                              Lei day cool ah!
                              Honolulu Academy of Arts
                              A Museum for Everyone
                              A Registered National Historic Place
                              accredited by the
                              American Association of Museums

                              In founding the Honolulu Academy of Arts in 1927, Anna Rice Cooke wanted to
                              share her love of the arts with the children and people of Hawaii: "That our
                              children of many nationalities and races, born far from the centers of art,
                              may receive an intimation of their own cultural legacy and wake to the ideals
                              embodied in the arts of their neighbors…"
                              From that vision the Academy has become "A Museum for Everyone," both a
                              destination for international visitors and a magnet for the people of Hawaii.
                              The multiculturalism of Hawaii, so deeply appreciated by Anna Rice Cooke, is
                              reflected in the Academy's renowned collections of both Western and Asian
                              art.

                              Among the most notable features of the Academy's permanent holdings of 35,000
                              works are the James A. Michener Collection of ukiyo-e prints and the Samuel
                              H. Kress Foundation collection of Italian Renaissance paintings. Traditional
                              arts of Africa, the Pacific and the Americas are also well represented, as
                              are textiles and 17,000 works on paper.
                              In celebration of its upcoming 75th anniversary in 2002, the Academy recently
                              opened the Luce Pavilion Complex which adds two, 4,000 square-foot galleries
                              to the museum's 30 other exhibition spaces. The second floor gallery is the
                              permanent home for the Academy's collection of indigenous and traditional
                              Hawaiian art.
                              The Honolulu Academy of Arts is a private, non-profit institution located in
                              a historic building not far from downtown Honolulu or Waikiki. With its full
                              schedule of studio art classes, gallery tours, school programs, family
                              activities, as well as a film and performance series, the Academy is dynamic
                              and ever-changing--fulfilling the dream of Anna Rice Cooke and distinguishing
                              itself as Hawaii's premier arts institution.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 11, 2002
                                Thanks for the website info on the Academy. Will lock in on it today and
                                view it....tj
                              • sdjartist2
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 23, 2002
                                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
                                  > Cadia: tj awaits your direction regarding the Non-Profit and a
                                  Board. Other
                                  > than the legal ends of this, I will help do whatever is needed.
                                  As any
                                  > Non-profit I've belonged to, we always had a mission statement of
                                  some kind.
                                  > Sounds kind of corny here, but maybe we need to review it a
                                  bit......tj
                                  I agree with this and I believe a mission statement would help focus
                                  a group of this size into being more effective.