Re: [aloha-donblanding] Museum

  • MauiBandB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9, 2002
      Call the Maui Culture and Arts Center Hokulani Holt Padilla she can guide
      you to the proper way to use their venue which is probably perfect. 808 242
      2787 hokulani@...

      good luck

      aloha
      Maui Tom

    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 9, 2002
        Hi, all....

        Glad this discussion has been started! As most of you know, my
        original intent when I started this group over 2 years ago was to
        establish a non-profit organization whose purpose would be three-fold:

        To acquire DB-related memorabilia for display (permanent or traveling
        exhibits).

        To disseminate information about Blanding.

        To offer scholarships or grants to promising students who wish to
        pursue a writing or art career and who embrace the "aloha spirit"
        that DB so loved.

        I am now in a position to set up a non-profit, which would need at
        least enough members to form a board of directors and elect
        officers. Paid memberships and donations would provide both working
        capital and investment funds.

        Personally, I'd like to see a traveling exhibit, or smaller local
        displays at libraries, historical societies, banks or other
        businesses, and antiques/collectibles shows. Each venue would
        provide an opportunity for new memberships and tax-deductible
        donations.

        At some point, a permanent museum (or collection within an existing
        entity) might be feasible. To that end, my preference would be
        Hawaii, specifically Honolulu where DB actually lived and worked.
        (He also worked in Hilo, but has no direct connection with Maui or
        other areas of Hawaii.)

        A case can certainly be made for both the Oklahoma and California,
        both being more accessible to travelers than Hawaii. However,
        cultural museums tend to favor their local history and not a specific
        individual who happened to be born in the area. The bulk of DB's
        work was devoted to Hawaii, and that is where DB fans and collectors
        would expect to find information about him.

        The focus of the Bishop Museum is on natural science, not the arts.
        On the museum's website, the sole reference to Don Blanding and Lei
        Day leads directly to my website!

        Let's get more discussion going -- I hope that group members who have
        not participated lately will join in.

        ~~Cadia
      • K Cotter
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9, 2002
          Excellent thoughts, Cadia. Karen C.
        • MauiBandB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9, 2002
            Cadia

            I think your efforts to this end are laudable. I would like to help but at
            this point don't have an idea how. Perhaps I could help with finding a
            location in Honolulu. Definitely I would like to support a traveling exhibit
            to Maui. I would also be willing to offer assistance to the board.

            aloha
            Maui Tom

          • Michael Pfeffer
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
              Cadia,
              Great thoughts. I had a short talk with George Ellis, the
              director of the Honolulu Academy Art tonight (at the
              opening of a new show on Art and Antiques in private
              collections, which will be a new book as well, and where a
              sample of my blanding wares were prominently displayed)
              and he expressed a keen interest in discussing the
              possibility of putting together or taking care of a
              permanent collection of Blanding materials. While the
              Academy does not have a lot of free space (given their
              huge inventory of stuff), they are by far the best
              repository for art and antiques in Hawaii and would
              safeguard anything that was given them. He thought that
              it might be a great complement to their recent efforts to
              collect exhaustive collections of John Kelley and Charles
              Bartlett. So, there is one lead that might pan out and I
              think it would be worth considering at least putting
              together one collection of stuff for the Academy, even if
              it is not the end all of "our" collective BLanding stuff.

              I am happy to help out in any way that I can, Aloha,
              Michael

              On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 01:31:46 EDT
              MauiBandB@... wrote:

              Michael T. Pfeffer
            • MauiBandB@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                Good job Michael
                I think the art academy is a good idea.
                maui tom

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                  I do like Cadia's ideas. We had discussion on this several years ago
                  also but we were too new to know what to do. In the last 3 years we have
                  seen our group grow. I personally prefer Hawaii as the location for some
                  kind of permanent or somewhat permanent museum or repository of our
                  collections. Whether we put our collections on loan or donate might be an
                  area for discussion as I don't know the policies of museums. I believe
                  Hawaii honors DB in a way that no other State can. Hawaii was DB's heart and
                  soul, even when he was not living there. We have a small museum here in
                  Vacaville and I will make it a point to got there and meet with the Director,
                  just to get information. We also have an Arts Council here and I'll check
                  into that, as I am very interested in Foundation Grants for the Arts, that I
                  think we could apply for if we are a Non-Profit.
                  As to drawing tourists. I can only speak from my personal experience of
                  the Carmel show. There were many many people in attendance that had not
                  heard of Don Blanding. However, by walking through the displays, reading
                  some of his poetry and seeing his artwork, they became enthralled with him.
                  I can't describe the reaction of some of the people that I met. They were
                  truely impressed with DB. I personally spoke to many of these people and
                  gave some personal tours of our collection. So, I do believe that with an
                  appropriate descriptive display and some brief literature regarding who DB
                  was, that we can draw other people into our group with our permanent display.

                  I believe the Non-profit idea would solidify the group and give us a
                  permanent presence that we don't have right now. And I think this will also
                  allow people to provide financial support to us, where that can't happen
                  right now. I think that with a Non-profit status, we might also be in line
                  for some Foundation Grants for the Arts that would allow us to go after other
                  DB material out there that invididually we cannot afford to purchase. As an
                  example....I am negotiating for the rights to some material I found in
                  Carmel, some of which was displayed in my show. I have not gone too high on
                  the money count because it's out of my own pocket but I will end up
                  purchasing it eventually at some $$ price. If we had the Non-Profit, we
                  could more easily go in and determine value and purchase it. Perhaps as a
                  venture for our Non-profit we can create our own Kovel's style book regarding
                  DB collectibles with valuations on each item that will serve the general
                  public and dealers as to the value of various items, as best we can do
                  that???? Just a thought....a money maker???
                  I am willing to assist on the development of the Board. I've not
                  created one from the ground up before, but I have sat on a lot of Non-profit
                  Boards before. So, whatever help I can be let me know. I am retired now and
                  I can spend some time doing some research and/or legwork as needed. This is
                  exciting to me and I support it wholeheartedly...............tj
                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                    I think TJ has a point that Hawaii does honor Don every Lei Day. Perhaps we could make it a condition if we use a museum as a repository that they must do a Lei Day exhibit and send out a press release each year before lei day to insure his legacy is properly recognized.

                    Maui Tom
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                      Maui Tom has a great idea on Lei Day.......it's a natural for DB to be
                      honored on that day. Also, I am still confused as to the status of DB in
                      Hawaiian history. I don't know that he was ever proclaimed as Hawaii's Poet
                      Laureate but he is ofter referred to as such in various articles, etc. Does
                      anyone have the answer on that?
                      I like Karen's analogy that we tie one flower at a time but end up with
                      a Lei. Thats sort of what we are doing, so lets not let the next flower sit
                      to long.....tj
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                        Michael or Maui Tom: Perhaps for us mainlanders you could provide somekind
                        of brief description or a website we could visit for the Academy. How long
                        have they been around, how are they financed, and in so many words, how
                        secure is their future, as best one can predict this? This would help me a
                        lot......thanks.......tj
                      • duchess017
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                          Hi, all...

                          If I'm remembering correctly, the Academy has been around since at
                          least the time DB lived in Hawaii. I think I've seen articles
                          about them in some of the old Star-Bulletin microfilm I've been
                          reading -- though nothing with Blanding's name in it.

                          Speaking of Lei Day, as many of you may know, DB always offered a
                          prize for "the best blue lei" in each year's competition.

                          Michael (or anyone else in Hawaii), can you verify if that prize is
                          still offered in his memory? If not, I would like to propose that,
                          as a group, we create such a prize (or 1st, 2nd, 3rd) starting now.
                          In the 1930s, I believe first prize was something like $15 and the
                          total of DB's contribution about $50.

                          I don't know what today's prize levels are (maybe $50-75 for 1st
                          prize?) but it's the thought that counts anyway.

                          We'll have to hurry, and I'm not sure who handles the competition
                          now, but I'd really like to see the "blue lei" as part of the
                          festivities.

                          ~~Cadia
                        • duchess017
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                            Maui Tom,

                            I like it! Press is what we'll need...and now's a good time to
                            start. May I suggest that each of us, individually, send a
                            short "letter to the editor" to the Star-Bulletin (and/or
                            Advertiser), promoting DB's Lei Day legacy and mentioning this
                            group? Both have websites from which you can obtain their mailing
                            addresses. I'm not sure if they take e-mail submissions.

                            Perhaps as a group we could buy a small display ad in the Star-
                            Bulletin scheduled for May 1 or a day or two beforehand.

                            I am also working to complete transcription of DB's 1928 S-B articles
                            proposing and promoting the first Lei Day. In addition to placing
                            them on the group site (where some of them already reside), I am
                            going to publish them on my own website, at least for awhile if not
                            permanently.

                            Promote, promote, promote. If nothing else, DB was a wonderful
                            publicist, and it's up to us to continue the tradition!

                            ~~Cadia
                          • duchess017
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                              TJ,

                              I love your idea of a "value guide" for DB memorabilia....of course
                              some things will always be "market price" but a guide of our various
                              finds would be useful.

                              As for the non-profit, I already have the paperwork, just need to dig
                              it out and put the details together. Writing bylaws is a little
                              tricky, but with some help from you guys and several other sources, I
                              think we can put something together within the next couple of months.

                              Meanwhile, some sort of promotional flyer or card for this group, as
                              it exists, would be great. Something simple, easily photocopied and
                              available as a stuffer or hand-out to as many people as possible. (I
                              routinely send show flyers and other promotional material with my
                              checks to eBay sellers and in outgoing packages, and provide them at
                              antiques/collectibles shows.) Postcard format would be ideal.
                              Anyone want to create one?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                                Cadia: tj awaits your direction regarding the Non-Profit and a Board. Other
                                than the legal ends of this, I will help do whatever is needed. As any
                                Non-profit I've belonged to, we always had a mission statement of some kind.
                                Sounds kind of corny here, but maybe we need to review it a bit......tj
                              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                                  Don't believe there is any continuing prize given in his name. Anywhere in
                                  Hawaii. I am not sure where there is an annual lei competition on Oahu on
                                  Lei Day. There is one on Maui at the Outrigger Wailea where Hula Moons
                                  restaurant is.
                                  I am sure they would welcome this type of participation.

                                  aloha
                                  Maui Tom

                                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2002
                                    http://www.honoluluacademy.org/ 1927 was the year of its inception same as
                                    Lei day cool ah!
                                    Honolulu Academy of Arts
                                    A Museum for Everyone
                                    A Registered National Historic Place
                                    accredited by the
                                    American Association of Museums

                                    In founding the Honolulu Academy of Arts in 1927, Anna Rice Cooke wanted to
                                    share her love of the arts with the children and people of Hawaii: "That our
                                    children of many nationalities and races, born far from the centers of art,
                                    may receive an intimation of their own cultural legacy and wake to the ideals
                                    embodied in the arts of their neighbors…"
                                    From that vision the Academy has become "A Museum for Everyone," both a
                                    destination for international visitors and a magnet for the people of Hawaii.
                                    The multiculturalism of Hawaii, so deeply appreciated by Anna Rice Cooke, is
                                    reflected in the Academy's renowned collections of both Western and Asian
                                    art.

                                    Among the most notable features of the Academy's permanent holdings of 35,000
                                    works are the James A. Michener Collection of ukiyo-e prints and the Samuel
                                    H. Kress Foundation collection of Italian Renaissance paintings. Traditional
                                    arts of Africa, the Pacific and the Americas are also well represented, as
                                    are textiles and 17,000 works on paper.
                                    In celebration of its upcoming 75th anniversary in 2002, the Academy recently
                                    opened the Luce Pavilion Complex which adds two, 4,000 square-foot galleries
                                    to the museum's 30 other exhibition spaces. The second floor gallery is the
                                    permanent home for the Academy's collection of indigenous and traditional
                                    Hawaiian art.
                                    The Honolulu Academy of Arts is a private, non-profit institution located in
                                    a historic building not far from downtown Honolulu or Waikiki. With its full
                                    schedule of studio art classes, gallery tours, school programs, family
                                    activities, as well as a film and performance series, the Academy is dynamic
                                    and ever-changing--fulfilling the dream of Anna Rice Cooke and distinguishing
                                    itself as Hawaii's premier arts institution.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 11, 2002
                                      Thanks for the website info on the Academy. Will lock in on it today and
                                      view it....tj
                                    • sdjartist2
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 23, 2002
                                        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
                                        > Cadia: tj awaits your direction regarding the Non-Profit and a
                                        Board. Other
                                        > than the legal ends of this, I will help do whatever is needed.
                                        As any
                                        > Non-profit I've belonged to, we always had a mission statement of
                                        some kind.
                                        > Sounds kind of corny here, but maybe we need to review it a
                                        bit......tj
                                        I agree with this and I believe a mission statement would help focus
                                        a group of this size into being more effective.