Blanding oil painting photos

  • luahiniwai
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hello all,
      I recently came into possession of a rare Don Blanding oil painting
      of his beloved Kihikihi fish (Moorish Idols). As you can see from
      the pics that I just posted to the site the painting is quite
      colorful (understatement). However, it does grow on you. Thought
      you all might have some knowledge of his oil painting efforts and of
      course thought you all would appreciate seeing another piece of
      ephemera.

      Hope all is well with all of you, Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
        Michael,

        I'd love to see this painting, but for the life of me I can't locate
        where you have posted it...give us a hint.

        Keith
      • Michael T Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
          Keith,
          My bad!!! I posted the pictures in the sub-folder named "Don Blanding Oil Painting" which is within the following string of folders: Photo Albums > Vernon Kilns... > Wekeula's Ph... > Don Blanding Oil Painting. Hope that helps you find it and let me know if you want a higher quality photo for your web site.

          Aloha, Michael

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
            Michael,

            Got it! Thanks.

            Is there any indication as to when Blanding painted this? By it's
            style, It looks like a later painting, maybe in the later forties or
            the fifties when he was experimenting with lots of color.

            If you send me a straight-on shot, I'd like to include on my
            website's gallery. I like to represent his more obscure work there.

            Keith

            p.s. I was thrilled to get a signed first edition of Vagabond's House
            with a nice dustjacket on ebay last week. I had found 3 or 4 1sts
            before, but never with the dj.
          • Michael T Pfeffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
              Keith,
              No idea when it was painted. You are right, it is certainly obscure, but I swear it grows on you after a while. I figured it would be worth picking up to add to my mass of Blanding stuff. I will take a good photo and post or email it to you for the other web site.

              Good find for VH with the dj intact! Not much of great import on this end, did get a bunch of Hilo from a guy on the big island including some nice 8" soup bowls. Also, just got a line on about 40 pieces of Rockwell Kent's Salamina including several of the rarer serving dishes from a guy in Canada so am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

              Much Aloha and congrats on little "honolulu" again :), Michael
              Is there any indication as to when Blanding painted this? By it's
              style, It looks like a later painting, maybe in the later forties or
              the fifties when he was experimenting with lots of color.

              If you send me a straight-on shot, I'd like to include on my
              website's gallery. I like to represent his more obscure work there.

              Keith

              p.s. I was thrilled to get a signed first edition of Vagabond's House
              with a nice dustjacket on ebay last week. I had found 3 or 4 1sts
              before, but never with the dj.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor