Re: DB's High school nickname

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Michael,

      Hope you enjoyed your visit with Jeannie! I spoke with her the other
      night and she mentioned you were coming over to see the "loot" that
      she and Mike have collected over the past couple of decades.

      Actually, what she's unpacked is only the proverbial tip of the
      iceberg.

      Just so the other group members aren't kept completely in the dark --
      and, no, Michael did not find out about the collection from me -- a
      couple of old friends who have moved back to Honolulu are preparing
      to downsize their collection of Hawaiiana, which includes a good deal
      of rare and wonderful Don Blanding dishes, books and, yes, the high
      school annual.

      Most of the items for sale will be available for inspection beginning
      about mid-April. Jeannie has asked me to spread the word. One
      caveat -- she will not ship anything, nor will items be placed on
      eBay, so you'll have to either live in Hawaii, travel there, or
      arrange with a friend to purchase on your behalf.

      Perhaps Jeannie may be able to photograph items as they come out of
      boxes and provide some scans for our perusal. Our telephone
      conversation did not get into that, but it's a thought.

      Meanwhile, if you would like to contact Jeannie, the e-mail address is

      Lynchm003@...

      Please let her know that you are a member of the Aloha, Don Blanding
      Collectors Society and that you are a serious collector.

      Another thought: anyone up for a group meeting in Honolulu for the
      75th anniversary of Lei Day, this coming May 1. A lot will depend on
      the state of my finances, but I'm thinking about it....and it would
      be a great opportunity to bring back some treasures.

      Hmm?

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        One more page from the Lawton yearbook:

        RECORDS OF THE KANGAROO COURT:

        Student: Donald
        Crime: Ballet dancer
        Evidence: Picture
        Punishment: "Something busted"

        There are some other hilarious crimes & punishments for other
        students too.

        Keith
      • Mike Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
          Cadia,
          Yeah, amazing how much stuff Jeannie and Mike have. My wife
          and I have offered to help them sell any of the stuff that
          we dont buy <smile>, so we could help by shipping stuff to
          other members on the mainland. They do have a ton of stuff
          and there will be more than enough to go around, (although
          we have already put dibs on the maroon HF set).

          If you and any other members are serious about coming out
          here in May, just let me know, I can help with good cheap
          places to stay, things to do, etc. Also, my wife and I
          would love to host a dinner party or reception type
          gathering at our home if anyone comes out. It would be great
          to share our collections with other serious DB/Hawaiiana
          fans and we would be happy to set something up.

          Also, the Honolulu Academy of Arts is having a huge show to
          kick off a new collectors book that will be definitive for
          Hawaiian stuff and which has a bunch of my blanding and
          tepco and wallace stuff in it. I will find out dates
          because I think they will overlap. In addition, they are
          interested in doing a whole Blanding show so perhaps we can
          all work together to put something great on (more after I
          have chatted with their people about the size, scope, etc.).

          All the best, Michael

          On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 04:02:51 -0000
        • curt blanding
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
            Cadia,

            I would be delighted to photograph any and all of Jeannie's collection
            with my digital camera and put a web-album on my website. I am
            only about 12 miles from Honolulu (when I'm not traveling for work).
            It would be good to start collecting high quality photos of DB pieces
            and eventually compile a CD which could be distributed to the group.

            Curt :-)