Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: DB's High school nickname

  • K Cotter
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Funny you said that, because I immediately thought of "frou frou", which is
      how the word is spelled...being French. And my mind I also depicted a
      feather boa or some such bit of frippery and we all know the rest of the
      story. I was afraid to post it as I seem to step on toes!

      But since you initiated the subject; yes indeedy, even in those proper old
      days, I can imagine him in a "Chorus Girl" lineup at what they called "Hi
      Jinks" in high school and college in them thar days where the boys dressed
      in women's clothes to the hilarity of all!

      Ha ha! Karen C.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        There is a humorous photo section in the yearbook which is
        entitled "The Stranded Thespians."

        There are three seperate photographs featuring a troupe of
        vaudevillians in various costumes enacting a little story.

        One of the costumed players is I believe Don Blanding, dressed in a
        ballerina outfit. Perhaps this is the source of his nickname "frow-
        frow."

        Keith
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          Michael,

          Hope you enjoyed your visit with Jeannie! I spoke with her the other
          night and she mentioned you were coming over to see the "loot" that
          she and Mike have collected over the past couple of decades.

          Actually, what she's unpacked is only the proverbial tip of the
          iceberg.

          Just so the other group members aren't kept completely in the dark --
          and, no, Michael did not find out about the collection from me -- a
          couple of old friends who have moved back to Honolulu are preparing
          to downsize their collection of Hawaiiana, which includes a good deal
          of rare and wonderful Don Blanding dishes, books and, yes, the high
          school annual.

          Most of the items for sale will be available for inspection beginning
          about mid-April. Jeannie has asked me to spread the word. One
          caveat -- she will not ship anything, nor will items be placed on
          eBay, so you'll have to either live in Hawaii, travel there, or
          arrange with a friend to purchase on your behalf.

          Perhaps Jeannie may be able to photograph items as they come out of
          boxes and provide some scans for our perusal. Our telephone
          conversation did not get into that, but it's a thought.

          Meanwhile, if you would like to contact Jeannie, the e-mail address is

          Lynchm003@...

          Please let her know that you are a member of the Aloha, Don Blanding
          Collectors Society and that you are a serious collector.

          Another thought: anyone up for a group meeting in Honolulu for the
          75th anniversary of Lei Day, this coming May 1. A lot will depend on
          the state of my finances, but I'm thinking about it....and it would
          be a great opportunity to bring back some treasures.

          Hmm?

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
            One more page from the Lawton yearbook:

            RECORDS OF THE KANGAROO COURT:

            Student: Donald
            Crime: Ballet dancer
            Evidence: Picture
            Punishment: "Something busted"

            There are some other hilarious crimes & punishments for other
            students too.

            Keith
          • Mike Pfeffer
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
              Cadia,
              Yeah, amazing how much stuff Jeannie and Mike have. My wife
              and I have offered to help them sell any of the stuff that
              we dont buy <smile>, so we could help by shipping stuff to
              other members on the mainland. They do have a ton of stuff
              and there will be more than enough to go around, (although
              we have already put dibs on the maroon HF set).

              If you and any other members are serious about coming out
              here in May, just let me know, I can help with good cheap
              places to stay, things to do, etc. Also, my wife and I
              would love to host a dinner party or reception type
              gathering at our home if anyone comes out. It would be great
              to share our collections with other serious DB/Hawaiiana
              fans and we would be happy to set something up.

              Also, the Honolulu Academy of Arts is having a huge show to
              kick off a new collectors book that will be definitive for
              Hawaiian stuff and which has a bunch of my blanding and
              tepco and wallace stuff in it. I will find out dates
              because I think they will overlap. In addition, they are
              interested in doing a whole Blanding show so perhaps we can
              all work together to put something great on (more after I
              have chatted with their people about the size, scope, etc.).

              All the best, Michael

              On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 04:02:51 -0000
            • curt blanding
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
                Cadia,

                I would be delighted to photograph any and all of Jeannie's collection
                with my digital camera and put a web-album on my website. I am
                only about 12 miles from Honolulu (when I'm not traveling for work).
                It would be good to start collecting high quality photos of DB pieces
                and eventually compile a CD which could be distributed to the group.

                Curt :-)