Re: DB's High school nickname

  • lowry66
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Michael,
      If you don't mind me asking, where did this copy of "Lore" end
      up? According to newspaper accounts at the time, there were actually
      300 printed. The senior class (of which thee were 40 members)
      published it. That was only the second annual published, the first
      was the "Tomahawk" in 1905.
      Any insight into the meaning of the nickname? I've alway thought
      it may have been a popular culture reference of some knid.
      Jim W.
    • Gerald Argetsinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        lowry66 wrote:

        > Michael,
        > If you don't mind me asking, where did this copy of "Lore" end
        > up? According to newspaper accounts at the time, there were actually
        > 300 printed. The senior class (of which thee were 40 members)
        > published it. That was only the second annual published, the first
        > was the "Tomahawk" in 1905.
        > Any insight into the meaning of the nickname? I've alway thought
        > it may have been a popular culture reference of some knid.
        > Jim W.

        It's often a reference to donote being "artsy". In theatre, one might refer to a
        costume or set that has a lot of nicknacks, lace, etc. as "using a lot of frow frow,
        frue-frue, frew-frew," or whatever.

        Jerry

      • K Cotter
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          Funny you said that, because I immediately thought of "frou frou", which is
          how the word is spelled...being French. And my mind I also depicted a
          feather boa or some such bit of frippery and we all know the rest of the
          story. I was afraid to post it as I seem to step on toes!

          But since you initiated the subject; yes indeedy, even in those proper old
          days, I can imagine him in a "Chorus Girl" lineup at what they called "Hi
          Jinks" in high school and college in them thar days where the boys dressed
          in women's clothes to the hilarity of all!

          Ha ha! Karen C.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
            There is a humorous photo section in the yearbook which is
            entitled "The Stranded Thespians."

            There are three seperate photographs featuring a troupe of
            vaudevillians in various costumes enacting a little story.

            One of the costumed players is I believe Don Blanding, dressed in a
            ballerina outfit. Perhaps this is the source of his nickname "frow-
            frow."

            Keith
          • duchess017
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
              Michael,

              Hope you enjoyed your visit with Jeannie! I spoke with her the other
              night and she mentioned you were coming over to see the "loot" that
              she and Mike have collected over the past couple of decades.

              Actually, what she's unpacked is only the proverbial tip of the
              iceberg.

              Just so the other group members aren't kept completely in the dark --
              and, no, Michael did not find out about the collection from me -- a
              couple of old friends who have moved back to Honolulu are preparing
              to downsize their collection of Hawaiiana, which includes a good deal
              of rare and wonderful Don Blanding dishes, books and, yes, the high
              school annual.

              Most of the items for sale will be available for inspection beginning
              about mid-April. Jeannie has asked me to spread the word. One
              caveat -- she will not ship anything, nor will items be placed on
              eBay, so you'll have to either live in Hawaii, travel there, or
              arrange with a friend to purchase on your behalf.

              Perhaps Jeannie may be able to photograph items as they come out of
              boxes and provide some scans for our perusal. Our telephone
              conversation did not get into that, but it's a thought.

              Meanwhile, if you would like to contact Jeannie, the e-mail address is

              Lynchm003@...

              Please let her know that you are a member of the Aloha, Don Blanding
              Collectors Society and that you are a serious collector.

              Another thought: anyone up for a group meeting in Honolulu for the
              75th anniversary of Lei Day, this coming May 1. A lot will depend on
              the state of my finances, but I'm thinking about it....and it would
              be a great opportunity to bring back some treasures.

              Hmm?

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                One more page from the Lawton yearbook:

                RECORDS OF THE KANGAROO COURT:

                Student: Donald
                Crime: Ballet dancer
                Evidence: Picture
                Punishment: "Something busted"

                There are some other hilarious crimes & punishments for other
                students too.

                Keith
              • Mike Pfeffer
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Cadia,
                  Yeah, amazing how much stuff Jeannie and Mike have. My wife
                  and I have offered to help them sell any of the stuff that
                  we dont buy <smile>, so we could help by shipping stuff to
                  other members on the mainland. They do have a ton of stuff
                  and there will be more than enough to go around, (although
                  we have already put dibs on the maroon HF set).

                  If you and any other members are serious about coming out
                  here in May, just let me know, I can help with good cheap
                  places to stay, things to do, etc. Also, my wife and I
                  would love to host a dinner party or reception type
                  gathering at our home if anyone comes out. It would be great
                  to share our collections with other serious DB/Hawaiiana
                  fans and we would be happy to set something up.

                  Also, the Honolulu Academy of Arts is having a huge show to
                  kick off a new collectors book that will be definitive for
                  Hawaiian stuff and which has a bunch of my blanding and
                  tepco and wallace stuff in it. I will find out dates
                  because I think they will overlap. In addition, they are
                  interested in doing a whole Blanding show so perhaps we can
                  all work together to put something great on (more after I
                  have chatted with their people about the size, scope, etc.).

                  All the best, Michael

                  On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 04:02:51 -0000
                • curt blanding
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
                    Cadia,

                    I would be delighted to photograph any and all of Jeannie's collection
                    with my digital camera and put a web-album on my website. I am
                    only about 12 miles from Honolulu (when I'm not traveling for work).
                    It would be good to start collecting high quality photos of DB pieces
                    and eventually compile a CD which could be distributed to the group.

                    Curt :-)