Re: [aloha-donblanding] Somerset Maugham

  • Michael Brookman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
      A good question! Maugham is one of my favorites. I wondered if there was any
      connection. Maugham seemed to spend more of his time in the South Pacific,
      but did go through SF and Hawaii and was certainly a social butterfly. Hmmm.
      michael

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
        Yes, Michael, that correlates with what I know. I have also recently learned
        that Maugham spent some time in Southern California (Hollywood ? ) in the
        early 1940s, probably when "The Razor’s Edge" was being filmed. He
        reportedly became interested in a group of literary people who formed the
        Vedanta Society in a house owned by Mrs.Carrie Mead Wyckoff of South
        Pasadena. It would be interesting to know whether Blanding was ever involved
        with this group.
      • NELSON W BLACK
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
          A friend of mine, D.G.Wills, runs a bookstore in La Jolla. He is a fan (and
          semi-scholar) of Somerset Maughn in general and The Razor's Edge in
          particular. Dennis may know something about any Maughn/Blanding
          association.

          Nelson W. Black

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
            Try this link on for size: