Re: Honolulu city directories

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2002
      Cadia,

      As promised, here are the Honolulu City Directory entries:

      1917:
      Blanding Donald, artist Hawn Gazette Co, rms The Wolters

      1921:
      Blanding Donald B, painter Tom Sharp, rms 1041 Alakea

      1922:
      Blanding Donald, designer Gurrey's Ltd, bds 1041 Alakea
      Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R), r 1041 Alakea
      Blanding James K, framer Gurrey's Ltd, bds 1041 Alakea

      1923:
      Blanding Donald, ad writer C R Frazier Co, r 250g Kaiulani av
      Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R), bds 250g Kaiulani av
      Blanding James K, clk C R Frazier Co, bds 250g Kaiulani av

      1924:
      Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R) rms 1111 Union
      " James K librarian C R Frazier & Co, rms 1111 Union

      1925:
      Blanding Don Artist 403 Boston bldg, Tel 6042 r 1063 Lunalilo
      " Ida K (wid Hugh R) r 1063 Lunalilo
      " James K librarian C R Frazier Co r 1063 Lunalilo

      1926:
      Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R) r 1106 Punchbowl
      " James K librarian Mellen Associates r 1106 Punchbowl

      1927:
      Blanding Don slsmn Hon S-B r The Wolters apts

      1928:
      Blanding Don with Hon S-B

      NOTES: All entries are typed exactly as they appeared. I'm curious
      where 'The Wolters' was? The indication is that his brother James AND
      his mother Ida BOTH passed away in 1926. Tom Sharp owned a sign
      company, and somewhere Blanding mentioned that he painted signs to
      make a living. Gurrey's was an art shop in Honolulu. Blanding
      designed souvenirs for them. George Mellen took over the Charles R.
      Frazier advertising agency in 1925 or 1926...he must have kept James
      on. Blanding left Hawaii in 1924...and 1926. We know that in 1926 he
      was in Los Angeles...but where was he in 1924. New York? He mentions
      NY in Paradise Loot.

      ~~Keith
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 3:00 AM
        Keith...

        I have an answer to your question (message #2795):

        "...but where was he in 1924. New York? He mentions NY in Paradise
        Loot."

        I have just started reading the Honolulu Star-Bulletin from 1925. On
        January 20, the following item appears:

        ***********

        DON BLANDING COMING
        BACK TO HAWAII SOON

        Don Blanding, former Honolulu artist and writer, will soon return to
        the islands after about eight months' absence. He went to Europe
        last summer for study, stayed awhile in London and Paris, and
        returned to new York late last fall. He is returning to Hawaii to
        join the staff of the Charles R. Frazier Co. He is expected next
        month.

        ***********

        A second item appears in the February 4, 1925 edition:

        ***********

        DON BLANDING WRITES
        OF COLORFUL MARKETS
        FOUND IN HONOLULU

        Don Blanding, former Honolulan, is the author of a feature story in a
        recent issue of the New York Herald Tribune entitled "Social and
        Esthetic Pleasure to Market in Honolulu." It deals with the
        picturesque phases of marketing here and is filled with local color.
        Blanding, who went to Europe last year for art studies, is returning
        to Honolulu the end of this month.

        ***********

        I'm preparing for this weekend's Tacoma Dome antiques show and will
        not have an opportunity to read more S-B microfilm until next
        Monday. I'll try to locate the Herald Tribune article -- probably
        late January 1925 -- though I'm not sure the Seattle library has
        microfilm for the Herald Tribune.

        Anyone have direct and immediate access to the Trib?

        Message 3 of 6 , May 15 5:05 AM
          Thanks Cadia,

          That certainly fills a hole in my timeline. I might try and see if
          any European art schools existing from that time period have records
          of Blanding attending in either 1919 or 1924.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 15 7:07 AM
            Keith,

            I thought you might like those little tidbits! In the next week or
            so I'll be reading February-April 15, 1925, microfilm and hope there
            will be more details about DB's sojourn in Europe and New York.