Honolulu city directories

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2002
      Hi,

      Have just learned that the National Archives & Records Administration
      (NARA) has obtained city directories circa 1930 for a number of
      American cities. They have been microfilmed and are available at the
      13 Regional Facilities.

      Of particular interest is the listing for Honolulu directories 1927-
      1934. Who knows who and what we could locate!

      I won't have an opportunity to visit the National Archives here in
      Seattle until at least mid-February, so if anyone else would like to
      start some research, that would be great!

      More information:

      http://www.nara.gov/genealogy/citydirs.html

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2002
        Cadia,

        I have photocopies of Blanding's addresses from the Honolulu
        directories for the years 1917-1928, as well as for several other
        people. I'll dig those up and post tomorrow.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2002
          Cadia,

          As promised, here are the Honolulu City Directory entries:

          1917:
          Blanding Donald, artist Hawn Gazette Co, rms The Wolters

          1921:
          Blanding Donald B, painter Tom Sharp, rms 1041 Alakea

          1922:
          Blanding Donald, designer Gurrey's Ltd, bds 1041 Alakea
          Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R), r 1041 Alakea
          Blanding James K, framer Gurrey's Ltd, bds 1041 Alakea

          1923:
          Blanding Donald, ad writer C R Frazier Co, r 250g Kaiulani av
          Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R), bds 250g Kaiulani av
          Blanding James K, clk C R Frazier Co, bds 250g Kaiulani av

          1924:
          Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R) rms 1111 Union
          " James K librarian C R Frazier & Co, rms 1111 Union

          1925:
          Blanding Don Artist 403 Boston bldg, Tel 6042 r 1063 Lunalilo
          " Ida K (wid Hugh R) r 1063 Lunalilo
          " James K librarian C R Frazier Co r 1063 Lunalilo

          1926:
          Blanding Ida K (wid Hugh R) r 1106 Punchbowl
          " James K librarian Mellen Associates r 1106 Punchbowl

          1927:
          Blanding Don slsmn Hon S-B r The Wolters apts

          1928:
          Blanding Don with Hon S-B

          NOTES: All entries are typed exactly as they appeared. I'm curious
          where 'The Wolters' was? The indication is that his brother James AND
          his mother Ida BOTH passed away in 1926. Tom Sharp owned a sign
          company, and somewhere Blanding mentioned that he painted signs to
          make a living. Gurrey's was an art shop in Honolulu. Blanding
          designed souvenirs for them. George Mellen took over the Charles R.
          Frazier advertising agency in 1925 or 1926...he must have kept James
          on. Blanding left Hawaii in 1924...and 1926. We know that in 1926 he
          was in Los Angeles...but where was he in 1924. New York? He mentions
          NY in Paradise Loot.

          ~~Keith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14 3:00 AM
            Keith...

            I have an answer to your question (message #2795):

            "...but where was he in 1924. New York? He mentions NY in Paradise
            Loot."

            I have just started reading the Honolulu Star-Bulletin from 1925. On
            January 20, the following item appears:

            ***********

            DON BLANDING COMING
            BACK TO HAWAII SOON

            Don Blanding, former Honolulu artist and writer, will soon return to
            the islands after about eight months' absence. He went to Europe
            last summer for study, stayed awhile in London and Paris, and
            returned to new York late last fall. He is returning to Hawaii to
            join the staff of the Charles R. Frazier Co. He is expected next
            month.

            ***********

            A second item appears in the February 4, 1925 edition:

            ***********

            DON BLANDING WRITES
            OF COLORFUL MARKETS
            FOUND IN HONOLULU

            Don Blanding, former Honolulan, is the author of a feature story in a
            recent issue of the New York Herald Tribune entitled "Social and
            Esthetic Pleasure to Market in Honolulu." It deals with the
            picturesque phases of marketing here and is filled with local color.
            Blanding, who went to Europe last year for art studies, is returning
            to Honolulu the end of this month.

            ***********

            I'm preparing for this weekend's Tacoma Dome antiques show and will
            not have an opportunity to read more S-B microfilm until next
            Monday. I'll try to locate the Herald Tribune article -- probably
            late January 1925 -- though I'm not sure the Seattle library has
            microfilm for the Herald Tribune.

            Anyone have direct and immediate access to the Trib?

            Message 5 of 6 , May 15 5:05 AM
              Thanks Cadia,

              That certainly fills a hole in my timeline. I might try and see if
              any European art schools existing from that time period have records
              of Blanding attending in either 1919 or 1924.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 15 7:07 AM
                Keith,

                I thought you might like those little tidbits! In the next week or
                so I'll be reading February-April 15, 1925, microfilm and hope there
                will be more details about DB's sojourn in Europe and New York.