Lucky Me!

  • kittykowkow
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2001
      Hello, Michael. I am Karen Cotter, otherwise known as "kittykowkow"

      I was the lucky recipient of 9 pieces of DB's pottery when my
      mother's estate was divided between my sister and I. My sister
      thought it was really ugly! I had found several pieces here in the
      greater Los Angeles area in the 1970's when I began my collecting
      career during which I bought a lot of collectible pottery I spotted
      at estate sales and garage sales. I bought 8 individual pieces of
      Coral Reef, Leilani, and maroon HF. over a period of 5 years and
      never paid more than a dollar apiece. No one knew what they had at
      that time and it was just some old lady's "stuff". I must say that
      although I go into antique shops here in CA from time to time, I
      think in the last 20 years I have seen only 2 pieces, both salad
      plates and about $10 at that time. No, I didn't buy them, I thought
      they were too expensive. Ack!

      I have never seen even a partial set...my mother had the HF blue
      coffee pot, four cups and saucers, creamer and sugar. Sadly she
      broke the creamer and sugar during her bout with Alzheimer's. It was
      a delight to see your collection and I hope Cadia will let you tell
      us all about it! If not, I am sure those of us who are interested
      can give you our e-mail addy and you can just create your history for
      us and cc: us all! Karen Cotter
    • Michael T Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2001
        Karen,
        Thanks for the support. Cadia, please do let me know if I am overstepping any boundaries. I am thrilled to find a whole group of DB fans and it is great to know that there are so many of us out there who appreciate his work as much as I do.

        An interesting part of all of this is that I would say that over 90% of my collection has come from California collectors (no surprise), but that very few pieces have come from Hawaii. His stuff is very popular here and pieces and the occasional set do turn up, but they command an instant premium and are snatched up almost immediately. I had always thought that more of his stuff would be out here, but almost all of what turns up is either Hawaiian Flowers or Lei Lani. In the last three years I am aware of three complete (more or less) sets of Hawaiian Flowers, three sets of Lei Lani, and one set of blue Coral Reef (not sold yet, but I am ever hopeful) that have come up for sale. The 6 sets of HF and Lei Lani were bought and resold several times by antique dealers who doubled the price every time and who have standing orders for sets of Hawaiian Flowers from local families who love this stuff and who have old partial sets. It is well known, so there must be a good bit of it out here, but it just doesnt seem to turn up to often. Only rarely do I see even single pieces of Coral Reef, Honolulu, Hilo, or the Glamour variations. Perhaps that is because they were only produced for 1 or 2 years? I hear that Florida has a lot and I have also had luck in Oregon and Seattle. The oddest find I had was a mint pair of orange Coral Reef S+Ps in an antique store in Calaveras County (sp.?) in California. The rest of the store was old mining stuff and a few pieces of cheap white china and the odd curio. Sitting right there were the orange beauties ($35 and she thought she was ripping me off), but the woman who ran the place couldnt tell me a thing about how they got there or whether there was more lurking about. I am working on securing a complete set for 8 in maroon HF from Canada, but we will see if that deal ever happens. Apparently, the owner moved to Canada in the early 1950s and took all of his Hawaii stuff with him, including a set of HF and some tepco and wallace stuff in shadowleaf. He has passed away, but the kids dont really like the tropical stuff (!!???) and decided to sell it all and I was fortunate enough to know the guy who was in charge of the estate.

        Anyway, enough of my stories for now.

        Thanks again for the great letter and Aloha,
        Michael

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor