Vernon Rarities

  • luahiniwai
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
      Hello all,
      As an avid collector, I have come across several rarities by Vernon
      Kilns in the DB designs and I wanted to run one of them by the gang
      to see if anyone has any pieces in this variety. I have been able to
      collect 4 or 5 dinner plates (all 9.5 inch) and a chop plate in the
      Hawaiian Flowers pattern in a brown color. The color is a little
      different from the Hilo coloration, which suggests that it is a
      separate color, but no one seems to recognize brown as a distinct
      color variety. The backstamp does say Hawaiian Flowers, which also
      suggests that these are not mistakes where the Hilo coloration was
      left off (this does occur in Honolulu from time to time). The
      coloration is also distinct from the brown used on the glamour
      pattern. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any other forms in
      this coloration (coffee pots, bowls, S+P shakers, etc.). If so, this
      would cement the brown as a distinct coloration, which may be already
      known to others, but which would be new to me.

      Also, I would love to see pictures of a variety I have heard of where
      they took sections (single large moorish idol fish) from the large
      transfer and put them on the small salad plates. If anyone has one,
      could you post a photo?

      I will try and take a few photos tonight and post them in a folder in
      the photo section for review.

      Hope to hear from some of you and Aloha, Michael
    • luahiniwai
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
        Hello again,
        Just went through the goodies closet and dug out the brown DB
        Hawaiian Flowers. It is, after all, the same color as the Hilo
        pattern, but each and every piece that I have (both 9.5 and 10.5 inch
        luncheon and dinner plates, but no chop plate) says Hawaiian Flowers
        on the bottom and not Hilo. Pictures are forthcoming, but didnt want
        to mislead. Aloha, Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
          Michael: I have 3 of the aquarium plates....71/2 inch - 81/2 inch and a 91/2
          inch plates. I suppose the 71/2 inch might be consideere a salad plate. I'm
          not sure thats what it was intended for. Cadia might know this. I also have
          a collection of Hawaiian flowers in a deep maroon almost brown color but I
          haven't bought a dinner plate to match out yet. I don't think this color is
          unique but I do like it. As Wekula has done, I thought I might photograph
          my collection and post it for all to see. That won't happen until after the
          holidays however. I got very jealous of Wekula's fabulous collection, but I
          have a few nice pieces also. I've been collecting mainly to get a single
          sample of each pattern but like all of us, I have cost limitations. My goal
          was to create a collection of each pattern that represented what an entire
          set might look like. My collection will eventually be donated to a museum
          for display.
          Does anyone out there really think DB's Vernon Kilns ceramics are worth
          what we are actually bidding them up for? Has anyone actually gone out on
          the appraisal market and had their pieces or collection appraised for value?
          I'm very curious about this. There are a few people who can buy what they
          want at any price, but as a "common" collector, many pieces and books are
          going clean out of sight. Very discouraging in a way. So, what about the
          appraisal factors, anyone out there game for an answer?
          I've also found a site called REPRODUCTIONS.COM. I haven't gone into it
          yet, but was curious if they made any Vernon Kilns reproductions that might
          be out in our market. This company advertises that they will create a
          reproduction of pieces in your set that are broken or missing. Hmmmmm,
          wouldn't that be a shock. Cadia, is this possible or have you better info
          than my suspicious enforcement mind might have?
          Signing off.............tj
        • Michael T Pfeffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
            TJ,
            Sorry for the confusion, actually, I am the dreaded "wekeula" but that name and many iterations of it were taken on Yahoo so I had to hunt around for a different Hawaiian name to use. Strange because wekeula is just the name of a kind of goat fish and one wouldnt think that there would be too many people who want to use a name like that, but there it is. Thank you for the compliments on the collection, it has been a pleasure to collect and each piece has its own story. Perhaps a short tale on the genesis of wekeula's odyssey is in order. The first DB blanding pieces I ever bought were two salad plates in HF orange. Imagine my dismay when I found out that orange is the rarest color in Hawaiian Flowers!!! Needless to say, that sparked my collecting habits (which anyone who knows me will tell you are huge) and off I went. Next up were some Lei Lani plates, but I found that the Lei Lani didnt do much for me and I switched gears to Hilo and Honolulu, which I like very much. Of course Coral Reef is another favorite and then I found Delight and Ecstasy and the rest is history. Like you, I have tried to gather a collection of all of the different varieties and ended up collecting many of the rarer pieces (chops, coffee pots, and tea pots). I too would like to donate a good portion of my collection to a museum some day, hopefully in Hawaii, but perhaps on the mainland. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy expanding and refining the collection. Like most of you I became quite intrigued by DB and have most of the books and such, but have focused primarily on the VK pottery.

            As per the Aquarium pieces, that is different from the piece I am referring to. I have heard that they sometimes took a segment of the coral reef transfer and placed it on the small plates. This resulted in a large moorish idol fish basically covering the plate. I have never seen one so was hoping one of you might have one to photograph. . . I love the aquarium design, but it is usually too pricey and so I have only collected a very few pieces in it.

            As for the value of this stuff, since I have been one of the people paying huge prices for a lot of this stuff, I would like to address this thought and see what you all think. Obviously, we all agree that DB was an influential and important artist (and I use the term to encompass both literary gifts as well as painting/etching/drawing). Vernon Kilns was one of the only premier ceramics companies in America during this period (at least when compared to many of the fine china companies of Europe). Putting these two together to create something as beautiful as the pottery we all love is a major step in creating value. Then, when you consider the fact that they only made most of his patterns for one or perhaps two years (1938-1940), you have a real collectible. Since HF was made for four years and Lei Lani for eight, they are a little more common and hence less valuable, but are pretty darn rare when all things are considered. To me, all of this suggests that we have a real collectible on our hands. A famous artist, a famous company, and a very limited production time and run. These are the hallmarks of what makes a desirable item truly valuable. We all know that we cannot have complete sets in all of these patterns and we are amongst the most avid collectors. There just aren't enough pieces to go around, much less to flood the market with pieces. Even with Ebay, which has opened this field up to the masses we see that the rare pieces command a high premium and even plates and such are pretty expensive and rising as we go. While I have not had my collection independently appraised, I would think that these pieces are going to continue to increase in value, as they obviously have since many collectors put together some of the sets that have come up in recent years. As one of the "uncommon" collectors, I can assure you that I too would rather pay substantially less than I have to for some of these pieces and I occasionally worry that the bottom of the market might fall out, but generally I am bullish on where the values of these pieces are headed. However, I think that the pricing we are seeing on Ebay is independent of what we can all find out there in the "real" world. Obviously, more and more antique stores are putting things up on Ebay, but there are still tons of items out there that we all find at affordable prices. The Ebay prices are a reflection, I think, of a whole new generation of people falling in love with this stuff (me included). All of a sudden people are finding his pottery and loving it and seeing that, with patience and money, they too can have a working set of dishes or some really great display stuff. There are really only a handful of major major collectors out there who are buying many pieces at high prices (I am a glaring example), but I think that there are quite a few collectors out there trying to create usable sets of stuff. Who knows where it is all headed, but I do know one thing: his stuff is never going to get MORE common. Anyway, perhaps I have only set myself up to have to pay even higher prices for rare pieces, but I think that DB's stuff is still undervalued.

            In the end, I buy pieces because I think they are truly beautiful and I love to look at my displays (my fiancé catches me on occasion and just shakes her head) and I really love it when people come over and get intrigued by this stuff and want to know how they can become collectors too. I guess that makes his work priceless to me.

            Would love to chat more and I will be posting many more photos in a "wekeula" section if that is amenable to the group. I have many more pieces and would really like to take some time and create good photos for all to see so I hope you will all allow me to share what I have with all of you and know that it is in the spirit of sharing and not to make anyone too jealous or put out. Besides, some of you might see a piece I am missing and want it to become a part of the collection <smile> (just kidding. . . mostly).

            Happy Holidays to all,
            Michael
            aka "wekeula"

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
              Because I can't compete with you on the rarer more expensive pieces, I
              don't bid on them unless they might complete or compliment a part of my
              collection. As a result, I wait until you get your fill and then maybe I can
              swoop in and get rarer piece. That's just the way this auction stuff works.
              I am glad that these pieces are going to you and staying in one place. I
              really dread the thought of all of DB's better quality ceramics being
              scattered to the wind. I'll be checking the photo site out. I thought that
              my show in Carmel might have dredged up more ceramic pieces or sets, but,
              that was not the case. As I now travel the west coast I'll be looking for
              pieces where ever I end up. When I was vacationing in Hawaii, I found
              little, and certainly expected more. Those pieces I saw in antique stores
              were priced very high as you said...........tj