Re: DB Hoopla

  • cholyday
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
      I liked your story here tj - but you'd be too young back in '62 to
      be out at 4am wouldn't you?.....ha ha
      Your comments about DB made me think about why I like Blanding.
      I haven't read many of his books yet, but already I can tell from his
      style that he wrote and drew from a big heart, with a clear head for
      the right words in the right sequence and with a steady hand for
      detail.
      If you've got the heart, the head and the hands like DB had, you are
      going to connect with people!
      Regards
      Chris
      --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
      > At my Carmel show, people who had never before seen anything
      done by DB
      > were so impressed with his unique style of combining prose with art
      that was
      > relevant for his time and place. Many people were impressed with
      his use of
      > words that one lady commented that "he could describe smoke and
      you'd think
      > you could smell it". It was interesting to observe casual browsers
      stop and
      > end up reading the entire poem with joy. Allen Sawtelle's painting
      that he
      > graciously loaned me, was the subject of many philosophical
      discussions as to
      > the meaning behind the painting. Like most of us, I don't think
      that DB was
      > the primer artist or poet of his time, but he was unique. I always
      viewed
      > him as a frustrated social anthropologist who seemed to be able to
      worm his
      > way into the hearts and cultures of those he happened to be with.
      He made a
      > living with some mundane tasks, but always seemed to observe his
      surroundings
      > and sketch them and write about them, capturing the moment as he
      saw it and
      > as only he could describe it. He really did live in the present.
      I'm not
      > sure I've read other poetry or have seen other artwork that does
      what DB's
      > did for me. I still remember 1962 in Seattle Washington, randomly
      selecting
      > a book off a shelf at a coffee house at 4am and reading Vagabonds
      > House........the pursuit was on after that..........tj
    • Michael T Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
        To echo Chris, TJ summed up the feeling that DB put into his poems and drawings perfectly and I think it is a testament to his abilities that we still find his poems relevant.

        Aloha,
        Michael
        I liked your story here tj - but you'd be too young back in '62 to
        be out at 4am wouldn't you?.....ha ha
        Your comments about DB made me think about why I like Blanding.
        I haven't read many of his books yet, but already I can tell from his
        style that he wrote and drew from a big heart, with a clear head for
        the right words in the right sequence and with a steady hand for
        detail.
        If you've got the heart, the head and the hands like DB had, you are
        going to connect with people!
        Regards
        Chris
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
        > At my Carmel show, people who had never before seen anything
        done by DB
        > were so impressed with his unique style of combining prose with art
        that was
        > relevant for his time and place. Many people were impressed with
        his use of
        > words that one lady commented that "he could describe smoke and
        you'd think
        > you could smell it". It was interesting to observe casual browsers
        stop and
        > end up reading the entire poem with joy. Allen Sawtelle's painting
        that he
        > graciously loaned me, was the subject of many philosophical
        discussions as to
        > the meaning behind the painting. Like most of us, I don't think
        that DB was
        > the primer artist or poet of his time, but he was unique. I always
        viewed
        > him as a frustrated social anthropologist who seemed to be able to
        worm his
        > way into the hearts and cultures of those he happened to be with.
        He made a
        > living with some mundane tasks, but always seemed to observe his
        surroundings
        > and sketch them and write about them, capturing the moment as he
        saw it and
        > as only he could describe it. He really did live in the present.
        I'm not
        > sure I've read other poetry or have seen other artwork that does
        what DB's
        > did for me. I still remember 1962 in Seattle Washington, randomly
        selecting
        > a book off a shelf at a coffee house at 4am and reading Vagabonds
        > House........the pursuit was on after that..........tj

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor