DB Hoopla

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2001
      At my Carmel show, people who had never before seen anything done by DB
      were so impressed with his unique style of combining prose with art that was
      relevant for his time and place. Many people were impressed with his use of
      words that one lady commented that "he could describe smoke and you'd think
      you could smell it". It was interesting to observe casual browsers stop and
      end up reading the entire poem with joy. Allen Sawtelle's painting that he
      graciously loaned me, was the subject of many philosophical discussions as to
      the meaning behind the painting. Like most of us, I don't think that DB was
      the primer artist or poet of his time, but he was unique. I always viewed
      him as a frustrated social anthropologist who seemed to be able to worm his
      way into the hearts and cultures of those he happened to be with. He made a
      living with some mundane tasks, but always seemed to observe his surroundings
      and sketch them and write about them, capturing the moment as he saw it and
      as only he could describe it. He really did live in the present. I'm not
      sure I've read other poetry or have seen other artwork that does what DB's
      did for me. I still remember 1962 in Seattle Washington, randomly selecting
      a book off a shelf at a coffee house at 4am and reading Vagabonds
      House........the pursuit was on after that..........tj
    • cholyday
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
        I liked your story here tj - but you'd be too young back in '62 to
        be out at 4am wouldn't you?.....ha ha
        Your comments about DB made me think about why I like Blanding.
        I haven't read many of his books yet, but already I can tell from his
        style that he wrote and drew from a big heart, with a clear head for
        the right words in the right sequence and with a steady hand for
        detail.
        If you've got the heart, the head and the hands like DB had, you are
        going to connect with people!
        Regards
        Chris
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
        > At my Carmel show, people who had never before seen anything
        done by DB
        > were so impressed with his unique style of combining prose with art
        that was
        > relevant for his time and place. Many people were impressed with
        his use of
        > words that one lady commented that "he could describe smoke and
        you'd think
        > you could smell it". It was interesting to observe casual browsers
        stop and
        > end up reading the entire poem with joy. Allen Sawtelle's painting
        that he
        > graciously loaned me, was the subject of many philosophical
        discussions as to
        > the meaning behind the painting. Like most of us, I don't think
        that DB was
        > the primer artist or poet of his time, but he was unique. I always
        viewed
        > him as a frustrated social anthropologist who seemed to be able to
        worm his
        > way into the hearts and cultures of those he happened to be with.
        He made a
        > living with some mundane tasks, but always seemed to observe his
        surroundings
        > and sketch them and write about them, capturing the moment as he
        saw it and
        > as only he could describe it. He really did live in the present.
        I'm not
        > sure I've read other poetry or have seen other artwork that does
        what DB's
        > did for me. I still remember 1962 in Seattle Washington, randomly
        selecting
        > a book off a shelf at a coffee house at 4am and reading Vagabonds
        > House........the pursuit was on after that..........tj
      • Michael T Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2001
          To echo Chris, TJ summed up the feeling that DB put into his poems and drawings perfectly and I think it is a testament to his abilities that we still find his poems relevant.

          Aloha,
          Michael
          I liked your story here tj - but you'd be too young back in '62 to
          be out at 4am wouldn't you?.....ha ha
          Your comments about DB made me think about why I like Blanding.
          I haven't read many of his books yet, but already I can tell from his
          style that he wrote and drew from a big heart, with a clear head for
          the right words in the right sequence and with a steady hand for
          detail.
          If you've got the heart, the head and the hands like DB had, you are
          going to connect with people!
          Regards
          Chris
          --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., TJMarkle@c... wrote:
          > At my Carmel show, people who had never before seen anything
          done by DB
          > were so impressed with his unique style of combining prose with art
          that was
          > relevant for his time and place. Many people were impressed with
          his use of
          > words that one lady commented that "he could describe smoke and
          you'd think
          > you could smell it". It was interesting to observe casual browsers
          stop and
          > end up reading the entire poem with joy. Allen Sawtelle's painting
          that he
          > graciously loaned me, was the subject of many philosophical
          discussions as to
          > the meaning behind the painting. Like most of us, I don't think
          that DB was
          > the primer artist or poet of his time, but he was unique. I always
          viewed
          > him as a frustrated social anthropologist who seemed to be able to
          worm his
          > way into the hearts and cultures of those he happened to be with.
          He made a
          > living with some mundane tasks, but always seemed to observe his
          surroundings
          > and sketch them and write about them, capturing the moment as he
          saw it and
          > as only he could describe it. He really did live in the present.
          I'm not
          > sure I've read other poetry or have seen other artwork that does
          what DB's
          > did for me. I still remember 1962 in Seattle Washington, randomly
          selecting
          > a book off a shelf at a coffee house at 4am and reading Vagabonds
          > House........the pursuit was on after that..........tj

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor