Re: Message 2718 Re Keith's Bibliography

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      g'day Chris,

      Of course you are right...Blanding did not pick the line for his
      anthology...as he was six feet under...or rather, his ashes had
      already been skattered over Waikiki. It is a good title, though.

      For those who haven't read the poem, here it is in full:

      SOME LINES SCRAWLED ON THE DOOR OF VAGABOND'S HOUSE

      West of the sunset stands my house,
      There . . . and east of the dawn;
      North to the Arctic runs my yard;
      South to the Pole, my lawn;
      Seven seas are to sail my ships
      To the ends of the earth . . . beyond;
      Drifters' gold is for me to spend
      For I am a vagabond.

      Fabulous cities are mine to loot;
      Queens of the earth to wed;
      Fruits of the world are mine to eat;
      The couch of a king, my bed;
      All that I see is mine to keep;
      Foolish, the fancy seems
      But I am rich with the wealth of sight,
      The coin of the realm of dreams.

      Great poem, which sums up how Blanding wanted to be
      perceived...however far from the truth it really was.

      Keith
    • cholyday
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
        --- Thanks again Keith, yes, it is a great poem. Thanks for putting
        it up here. I have Vagabond's House and I knew that I had read
        the 'west of the sunset' phrase somewhere!! My mistake was thinking
        that it was a poem title.
        And what about:

        Suns haste to set, that so remoter lights
        Beckon the wanderer to his vaster home

        Any takers on who wrote these lines?
        Regards all
        Chris

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
          Ralph Waldo Emerson
        • K Cotter
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
            Shucks, I thought it was Robert Schuller. :o)
          • cholyday
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
              Right on the money
              I think you guys told me before that DB liked Emerson
              Regards