Re: Message 2718 Re Keith's Bibliography

  • cholyday
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      Thanks Keith
      When you say that "I think Blanding borrowed the line from his
      poem 'Some Lines.......", was "West of the Sunset" ever chosen by DB
      as a title? The collection "West of the Sunset" may have just been a
      publishing house's choice for a title, or was it ever a DB
      request/wish to publish an anthology?
      Thanks for your reply here - I thought I had read the line somewhere
      in DB's books, and perhaps he should have called that poem "West of
      the Sunset" in the first place! It is a great line, and one I'd
      remember better than "Some Lines Scrawled....."
      Chris

      --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:
      > Chris & Helen,
      >
      > As far as I know there is not a poem entitled "West of the Sunset."
      > think Blanding borrowed the line from his poem 'Some Lines Scrawled
      > on the Door of Vagabond's House' which precedes the
      poem 'Vagabond's

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
        g'day Chris,

        Of course you are right...Blanding did not pick the line for his
        anthology...as he was six feet under...or rather, his ashes had
        already been skattered over Waikiki. It is a good title, though.

        For those who haven't read the poem, here it is in full:

        SOME LINES SCRAWLED ON THE DOOR OF VAGABOND'S HOUSE

        West of the sunset stands my house,
        There . . . and east of the dawn;
        North to the Arctic runs my yard;
        South to the Pole, my lawn;
        Seven seas are to sail my ships
        To the ends of the earth . . . beyond;
        Drifters' gold is for me to spend
        For I am a vagabond.

        Fabulous cities are mine to loot;
        Queens of the earth to wed;
        Fruits of the world are mine to eat;
        The couch of a king, my bed;
        All that I see is mine to keep;
        Foolish, the fancy seems
        But I am rich with the wealth of sight,
        The coin of the realm of dreams.

        Great poem, which sums up how Blanding wanted to be
        perceived...however far from the truth it really was.

        Keith
      • cholyday
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
          --- Thanks again Keith, yes, it is a great poem. Thanks for putting
          it up here. I have Vagabond's House and I knew that I had read
          the 'west of the sunset' phrase somewhere!! My mistake was thinking
          that it was a poem title.
          And what about:

          Suns haste to set, that so remoter lights
          Beckon the wanderer to his vaster home

          Any takers on who wrote these lines?
          Regards all

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
            Ralph Waldo Emerson
          • K Cotter
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
              Shucks, I thought it was Robert Schuller. :o)
            • cholyday
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
                Right on the money
                I think you guys told me before that DB liked Emerson
                Regards