Re: "Leetag, the Legend"

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
      We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
      us <smile>

      Welcome Michael!

      I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
      I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
      undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
      once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
      experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
      off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
      including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
      think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
      these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
      Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
      black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
      from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

      I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
      if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

      Keith
    • luahiniwai
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
        Keith,
        I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
        paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
        Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
        mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
        and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
        the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
        again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
        trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
        painted a lot for the trade.

        Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
        year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
        <smile>

        aloha, michael