Re: "Leeteg, the Legend"

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
      Ron,

      I've read Lin Carter's book...a long time ago, and seem to remember
      it being well written and insightful. But there's nothing like the
      real thing and I would highly recommend you read the trilogy...you
      won't regret it.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
        We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
        us <smile>

        Welcome Michael!

        I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
        I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
        undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
        once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
        experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
        off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
        including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
        think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
        these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
        Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
        black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
        from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

        I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
        if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

        Keith
      • luahiniwai
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
          Keith,
          I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
          paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
          Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
          mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
          and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
          the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
          again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
          trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
          painted a lot for the trade.

          Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
          year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
          <smile>

          aloha, michael