"Leetag, the Legend"

  • tamsui1984
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
      --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:

      > My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
      > Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
      > Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
      > have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way
      > make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
      > years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.
      >
      > Keith

      Thanks Keith. I admit to smiling in satisfaction when I read
      your comments because I had been wondering if I had been
      missng something. I trust your judgement, if not my own.
      I have said before that I am not a fan of his poetry. It was his
      pre-WW2 book illustration that attracted me, and still does. His
      wanderings and personal contacts interest me, because I am by instinct
      a biographer and collector of interesting characters.
      It remains to be established .... I leave that to you, how much
      Blandings style was influenced by others in the colony of painters
      and illustrators living in Hawaii in his early days. I think it is
      fair to say that he adapted to the 'market', (a better phrase escapes
      me at the moment) rather than leading the pack in any particular
      medium. I do not mean to dismiss his work. Not at all.

      I have wondered, since joining this group, if you have ever read
      Michener's RASCALS IN PARADISE (1957)? If you haven't, you will
      enjoy "Leetag, the Legend", which is one of my favorite chapters.
      I feel certain that Blanding would have owned a copy and would have
      also been emotionally attached to that particular chapter. I am
      going to read it again over the Holidays, and perhaps we might
      discuss it.

      Cheers! Ron Jack in rainy B.C.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
        Ron

        I enjoyed reading your comments, and agree with you. I think Don was
        heavily influenced by his artist friends in 1920s Hawaii (Frank N.
        Moore, Howard H. Hitchcock & Kimo Wilder)...but his style never
        really evolved very far from his commercial art roots.

        I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but I
        have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

        At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation of
        the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
        high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit middle
        earth. I wonder if DB ever read the Hobbit?...probably not his cup of
        tea.

        Keith
      • tamsui1984
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
          > I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but
          > have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

          > At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation
          of
          > the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
          > high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit
          >middle earth.
          > Keith

          OK Keith. We'll hold off discussing Michener until you've read
          that chapter on Edgar Leeteg. (OOPs I wrote "Leetag" before.)
          He was a painter in the tropics, of course.

          It looks like Tolkien is going to be very hot for months. One of
          my hobbies it doing novel study with highschool and college students.
          I'm in the diffult position of having three requests to work with
          students on LORD OF THE RINGS, a trilogy I haven't read. So I
          purchased Lin Carter's book "TOLKIEN: A Look Behind the Lord of
          the Rings" (1969). I'm two thirds through Carter and I have to
          decide by the New Year if I want to tackle the novels or beg off.

          Merry Christmas to everyone on the Group.
          Ron Jack in Canada
        • luahiniwai
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
            Hello all,
            The dreaded "wekeula" from ebay has joined the fray. Alas, someone
            else has that handle on Yahoo, so I had to choose another Hawaiian
            name for this account. Oh well, it keeps it all interesting. Just
            wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

            I think that DB was more original than we give him credit for with
            his wood block prints and drawings. There really do not seem to have
            been many others doing similar work (although Huq Luquiens and
            Emerson come to mind). I think that he really captured the essence
            of the spirit of the islands in his prints and we can only guess at
            the impact that those images have had on motivating people to come to
            the islands to see it all for themselves. I also agree with Keith
            though, that it would have been great to see what he would have done
            had he focused less on poetry and the related prints and more on
            painting or even plain artistic print making.

            Much Aloha to all and Happy Holidays, Michael

            ps, I have a rather huge collection of his stuff so if anyone ever
            needs info in his pottery or books or whatever feel free to email
            me. . .

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
              Ron,

              I've read Lin Carter's book...a long time ago, and seem to remember
              it being well written and insightful. But there's nothing like the
              real thing and I would highly recommend you read the trilogy...you
              won't regret it.

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
                us <smile>

                Welcome Michael!

                I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
                I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
                undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
                once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
                experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
                off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
                including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
                think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
                these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
                Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
                black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
                from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

                I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
                if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

                Keith
              • luahiniwai
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                  Keith,
                  I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
                  paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
                  Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
                  mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
                  and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
                  the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
                  again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
                  trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
                  painted a lot for the trade.

                  Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
                  year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
                  <smile>

                  aloha, michael