Re: Message 2718 Re Keith's Bibliography

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      Chris & Helen,

      As far as I know there is not a poem entitled "West of the Sunset." I
      think Blanding borrowed the line from his poem 'Some Lines Scrawled
      on the Door of Vagabond's House' which precedes the poem 'Vagabond's
      House' itself.

      "West of the sunset stands my house, and east of the dawn..."

      The poem can be found in several of his books. Hope that helps.

      Keith
    • cholyday
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
        Thanks Keith
        When you say that "I think Blanding borrowed the line from his
        poem 'Some Lines.......", was "West of the Sunset" ever chosen by DB
        as a title? The collection "West of the Sunset" may have just been a
        publishing house's choice for a title, or was it ever a DB
        request/wish to publish an anthology?
        Thanks for your reply here - I thought I had read the line somewhere
        in DB's books, and perhaps he should have called that poem "West of
        the Sunset" in the first place! It is a great line, and one I'd
        remember better than "Some Lines Scrawled....."
        Chris

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
          g'day Chris,

          Of course you are right...Blanding did not pick the line for his
          anthology...as he was six feet under...or rather, his ashes had
          already been skattered over Waikiki. It is a good title, though.

          For those who haven't read the poem, here it is in full:

          SOME LINES SCRAWLED ON THE DOOR OF VAGABOND'S HOUSE

          West of the sunset stands my house,
          There . . . and east of the dawn;
          North to the Arctic runs my yard;
          South to the Pole, my lawn;
          Seven seas are to sail my ships
          To the ends of the earth . . . beyond;
          Drifters' gold is for me to spend
          For I am a vagabond.

          Fabulous cities are mine to loot;
          Queens of the earth to wed;
          Fruits of the world are mine to eat;
          The couch of a king, my bed;
          All that I see is mine to keep;
          Foolish, the fancy seems
          But I am rich with the wealth of sight,
          The coin of the realm of dreams.

          Great poem, which sums up how Blanding wanted to be
          perceived...however far from the truth it really was.

          Keith
        • cholyday
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
            --- Thanks again Keith, yes, it is a great poem. Thanks for putting
            it up here. I have Vagabond's House and I knew that I had read
            the 'west of the sunset' phrase somewhere!! My mistake was thinking
            that it was a poem title.
            And what about:

            Suns haste to set, that so remoter lights
            Beckon the wanderer to his vaster home

            Any takers on who wrote these lines?
            Regards all

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
              Ralph Waldo Emerson
            • K Cotter
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                Shucks, I thought it was Robert Schuller. :o)
              • cholyday
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
                  Right on the money
                  I think you guys told me before that DB liked Emerson
                  Regards