Re: Message 2718 Re Keith's Bibliography

  • cholyday
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
      --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "Helen Allen" <helena@g...> wrote:
      > Thanks Helen - I see that this book was published in 1966. Was the
      poem in the book for the first time, or was it published in an
      earlier book of DB poems?
      Yes, I would love to see a copy of the poem - how long is it? If it
      is too long, maybe someone could scan it to me?
      Let me know - and thanks
      Kind regards
      Chris

      West of the Sunset is a Book and a wonderful poem that really brings
      in the
      > spirit of 'vagabond' as only Don Blanding could do. If you
      want/need a copy
      > of the poem I will be glad to type one for you.

      Was

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
        Chris & Helen,

        As far as I know there is not a poem entitled "West of the Sunset." I
        think Blanding borrowed the line from his poem 'Some Lines Scrawled
        on the Door of Vagabond's House' which precedes the poem 'Vagabond's
        House' itself.

        "West of the sunset stands my house, and east of the dawn..."

        The poem can be found in several of his books. Hope that helps.

        Keith
      • cholyday
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
          Thanks Keith
          When you say that "I think Blanding borrowed the line from his
          poem 'Some Lines.......", was "West of the Sunset" ever chosen by DB
          as a title? The collection "West of the Sunset" may have just been a
          publishing house's choice for a title, or was it ever a DB
          request/wish to publish an anthology?
          Thanks for your reply here - I thought I had read the line somewhere
          in DB's books, and perhaps he should have called that poem "West of
          the Sunset" in the first place! It is a great line, and one I'd
          remember better than "Some Lines Scrawled....."
          Chris

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
            g'day Chris,

            Of course you are right...Blanding did not pick the line for his
            anthology...as he was six feet under...or rather, his ashes had
            already been skattered over Waikiki. It is a good title, though.

            For those who haven't read the poem, here it is in full:

            SOME LINES SCRAWLED ON THE DOOR OF VAGABOND'S HOUSE

            West of the sunset stands my house,
            There . . . and east of the dawn;
            North to the Arctic runs my yard;
            South to the Pole, my lawn;
            Seven seas are to sail my ships
            To the ends of the earth . . . beyond;
            Drifters' gold is for me to spend
            For I am a vagabond.

            Fabulous cities are mine to loot;
            Queens of the earth to wed;
            Fruits of the world are mine to eat;
            The couch of a king, my bed;
            All that I see is mine to keep;
            Foolish, the fancy seems
            But I am rich with the wealth of sight,
            The coin of the realm of dreams.

            Great poem, which sums up how Blanding wanted to be
            perceived...however far from the truth it really was.

            Keith
          • cholyday
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
              --- Thanks again Keith, yes, it is a great poem. Thanks for putting
              it up here. I have Vagabond's House and I knew that I had read
              the 'west of the sunset' phrase somewhere!! My mistake was thinking
              that it was a poem title.
              And what about:

              Suns haste to set, that so remoter lights
              Beckon the wanderer to his vaster home

              Any takers on who wrote these lines?
              Regards all

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                Ralph Waldo Emerson
              • K Cotter
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                  Shucks, I thought it was Robert Schuller. :o)
                • cholyday
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
                    Right on the money
                    I think you guys told me before that DB liked Emerson