Message 2718 Re Keith's Bibliography

  • cholyday
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2001
      Cadia,
      Thanks for your posts pointing out these resources available to us. I
      just wanted you to know that these are much appreciated - and yes, I
      do have a Yahoo User ID, which is the best part about a site like
      this!

      I have a question re 'West Of The Sunset' - what a great title. Was
      this a DB poem? My web browser said 'no'. I think this title is so
      good as it conveys a little of the DB spirit - the sense that there
      is something else waiting over the horizon, it's why I like the
      concept of 'horizonless' or 'no boundaries' too.

      Who came up with this title?

      Thanks
      Chris
    • Helen Allen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2001
        West of the Sunset is a Book and a wonderful poem that really brings in the
        spirit of 'vagabond' as only Don Blanding could do. If you want/need a copy
        of the poem I will be glad to type one for you.

        > Thanks for your posts pointing out these resources available to us. I
        > just wanted you to know that these are much appreciated - and yes, I
        > do have a Yahoo User ID, which is the best part about a site like
        > this!
        >
        > I have a question re 'West Of The Sunset' - what a great title. Was
        > this a DB poem? My web browser said 'no'. I think this title is so
        > good as it conveys a little of the DB spirit - the sense that there
        > is something else waiting over the horizon, it's why I like the
        > concept of 'horizonless' or 'no boundaries' too.
        >
        > Who came up with this title?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Chris

      • cholyday
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
          --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "Helen Allen" <helena@g...> wrote:
          > Thanks Helen - I see that this book was published in 1966. Was the
          poem in the book for the first time, or was it published in an
          earlier book of DB poems?
          Yes, I would love to see a copy of the poem - how long is it? If it
          is too long, maybe someone could scan it to me?
          Let me know - and thanks
          Kind regards
          Chris

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
            Chris & Helen,

            As far as I know there is not a poem entitled "West of the Sunset." I
            think Blanding borrowed the line from his poem 'Some Lines Scrawled
            on the Door of Vagabond's House' which precedes the poem 'Vagabond's
            House' itself.

            "West of the sunset stands my house, and east of the dawn..."

            The poem can be found in several of his books. Hope that helps.

            Keith
          • cholyday
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
              Thanks Keith
              When you say that "I think Blanding borrowed the line from his
              poem 'Some Lines.......", was "West of the Sunset" ever chosen by DB
              as a title? The collection "West of the Sunset" may have just been a
              publishing house's choice for a title, or was it ever a DB
              request/wish to publish an anthology?
              Thanks for your reply here - I thought I had read the line somewhere
              in DB's books, and perhaps he should have called that poem "West of
              the Sunset" in the first place! It is a great line, and one I'd
              remember better than "Some Lines Scrawled....."
              Chris

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
                g'day Chris,

                Of course you are right...Blanding did not pick the line for his
                anthology...as he was six feet under...or rather, his ashes had
                already been skattered over Waikiki. It is a good title, though.

                For those who haven't read the poem, here it is in full:

                SOME LINES SCRAWLED ON THE DOOR OF VAGABOND'S HOUSE

                West of the sunset stands my house,
                There . . . and east of the dawn;
                North to the Arctic runs my yard;
                South to the Pole, my lawn;
                Seven seas are to sail my ships
                To the ends of the earth . . . beyond;
                Drifters' gold is for me to spend
                For I am a vagabond.

                Fabulous cities are mine to loot;
                Queens of the earth to wed;
                Fruits of the world are mine to eat;
                The couch of a king, my bed;
                All that I see is mine to keep;
                Foolish, the fancy seems
                But I am rich with the wealth of sight,
                The coin of the realm of dreams.

                Great poem, which sums up how Blanding wanted to be
                perceived...however far from the truth it really was.

                Keith
              • cholyday
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                  --- Thanks again Keith, yes, it is a great poem. Thanks for putting
                  it up here. I have Vagabond's House and I knew that I had read
                  the 'west of the sunset' phrase somewhere!! My mistake was thinking
                  that it was a poem title.
                  And what about:

                  Suns haste to set, that so remoter lights
                  Beckon the wanderer to his vaster home

                  Any takers on who wrote these lines?
                  Regards all

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson
                  • K Cotter
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                      Shucks, I thought it was Robert Schuller. :o)
                    • cholyday
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
                        Right on the money
                        I think you guys told me before that DB liked Emerson