Re: Blanding on eBay now at $643. What is record?

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      Cadia,

      An original drawing from the 25th edition of Vagabond's House sold on
      ebay a few months ago for about $250.

      Keith
    • tamsui1984
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2001
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "tamsui1984" <tamsui1984@y...> wrote:
        > Good morning folks.
        > I see this morning that the bidding on eBay for
        > the original illustration from PILOT BAILS OUT
        > has now gotten serious.

        I was trolling the net for news and thought I would
        check to see what this artwork realized last night.
        Bidding closed at $875 (U.S.) having failed to meet
        the vendor reserve. So it didn't sell, unless the
        owner does a deal off eBay with the highest bidder.
        It would be instructive to know what you all think
        of the artwork that was offered. It was an interesting
        piece, but certainly far from his best. Is it worth
        even the $875 ? Cadia, I think, thought that the current
        wave of patriotism sweeping the land would put a premium
        on this item, which is WW2 related.
        I don't have this book in my library. I wonder... Kieth,
        you are the resident artist in this group. Which are
        the best images in PILOT BAILS OUT?

        Ron Jack in Canada
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
          Hi Ron,

          You asked about the artwork in Pilot Bails Out.

          I feel that the art in this volume was not his best...most of it
          being made up of repetitive images of clouds and planes. Certainly it
          took him awhile to draw all the puffy clouds...but he didn't put alot
          of joy into the individual pieces. Of course the book doesn't have a
          particularly joyous content.

          There is a great image accompanying Bataan Falls which sums up the
          futility of war for me...and the Centaur on page 22 (his trademark)
          is very good.

          I honestly feel his illustrative peak was around the late thirties
          when he published Drifter's Gold...he had a few nice pieces in
          Floridays too. After that he gets a little stale. His last few books
          had hardly any original drawings at all, and I just think he got a
          little burned out on everything.

          My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
          Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
          Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
          have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way to
          make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
          years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.

          Keith
        • tamsui1984
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
            --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:

            > My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
            > Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
            > Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
            > have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way
            > make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
            > years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.
            >
            > Keith

            Thanks Keith. I admit to smiling in satisfaction when I read
            your comments because I had been wondering if I had been
            missng something. I trust your judgement, if not my own.
            I have said before that I am not a fan of his poetry. It was his
            pre-WW2 book illustration that attracted me, and still does. His
            wanderings and personal contacts interest me, because I am by instinct
            a biographer and collector of interesting characters.
            It remains to be established .... I leave that to you, how much
            Blandings style was influenced by others in the colony of painters
            and illustrators living in Hawaii in his early days. I think it is
            fair to say that he adapted to the 'market', (a better phrase escapes
            me at the moment) rather than leading the pack in any particular
            medium. I do not mean to dismiss his work. Not at all.

            I have wondered, since joining this group, if you have ever read
            Michener's RASCALS IN PARADISE (1957)? If you haven't, you will
            enjoy "Leetag, the Legend", which is one of my favorite chapters.
            I feel certain that Blanding would have owned a copy and would have
            also been emotionally attached to that particular chapter. I am
            going to read it again over the Holidays, and perhaps we might
            discuss it.

            Cheers! Ron Jack in rainy B.C.
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
              Ron

              I enjoyed reading your comments, and agree with you. I think Don was
              heavily influenced by his artist friends in 1920s Hawaii (Frank N.
              Moore, Howard H. Hitchcock & Kimo Wilder)...but his style never
              really evolved very far from his commercial art roots.

              I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but I
              have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

              At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation of
              the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
              high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit middle
              earth. I wonder if DB ever read the Hobbit?...probably not his cup of
              tea.

              Keith
            • tamsui1984
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                > I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but
                > have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

                > At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation
                of
                > the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
                > high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit
                >middle earth.
                > Keith

                OK Keith. We'll hold off discussing Michener until you've read
                that chapter on Edgar Leeteg. (OOPs I wrote "Leetag" before.)
                He was a painter in the tropics, of course.

                It looks like Tolkien is going to be very hot for months. One of
                my hobbies it doing novel study with highschool and college students.
                I'm in the diffult position of having three requests to work with
                students on LORD OF THE RINGS, a trilogy I haven't read. So I
                purchased Lin Carter's book "TOLKIEN: A Look Behind the Lord of
                the Rings" (1969). I'm two thirds through Carter and I have to
                decide by the New Year if I want to tackle the novels or beg off.

                Merry Christmas to everyone on the Group.
                Ron Jack in Canada
              • luahiniwai
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                  Hello all,
                  The dreaded "wekeula" from ebay has joined the fray. Alas, someone
                  else has that handle on Yahoo, so I had to choose another Hawaiian
                  name for this account. Oh well, it keeps it all interesting. Just
                  wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

                  I think that DB was more original than we give him credit for with
                  his wood block prints and drawings. There really do not seem to have
                  been many others doing similar work (although Huq Luquiens and
                  Emerson come to mind). I think that he really captured the essence
                  of the spirit of the islands in his prints and we can only guess at
                  the impact that those images have had on motivating people to come to
                  the islands to see it all for themselves. I also agree with Keith
                  though, that it would have been great to see what he would have done
                  had he focused less on poetry and the related prints and more on
                  painting or even plain artistic print making.

                  Much Aloha to all and Happy Holidays, Michael

                  ps, I have a rather huge collection of his stuff so if anyone ever
                  needs info in his pottery or books or whatever feel free to email
                  me. . .

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                    Ron,

                    I've read Lin Carter's book...a long time ago, and seem to remember
                    it being well written and insightful. But there's nothing like the
                    real thing and I would highly recommend you read the trilogy...you
                    won't regret it.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                      We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
                      us <smile>

                      Welcome Michael!

                      I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
                      I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
                      undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
                      once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
                      experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
                      off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
                      including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
                      think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
                      these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
                      Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
                      black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
                      from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

                      I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
                      if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

                      Keith
                    • luahiniwai
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                        Keith,
                        I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
                        paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
                        Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
                        mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
                        and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
                        the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
                        again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
                        trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
                        painted a lot for the trade.

                        Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
                        year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
                        <smile>

                        aloha, michael