Re: Blanding on eBay now at $643. What is record?

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi,

      I've never seen another "original" Blanding book illustration on
      eBay -- though I might have missed something! However, within the
      past 10 years or so, a series of brush-and-ink drawings sold for
      about $2500 each (before internet).

      Size, condition, subject and other variables enter into the
      determination of value. Sometimes it's just a matter of who has
      money to spend.

      Generally, Blanding's Hawaiiana commands high prices; given the
      current emphasis on military and patriotic matters, this WWII
      illustration probably will garner some attention. However, not enough
      Blanding artwork has surfaced on the open market to suggest a value.

      Although I was aware of the Pilot Bails Out illustration some time
      ago, I do not know what the reserve on it may be.

      I do hope that one or more members of this group will win the item;
      then at least we'll be able to keep track of it.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
        Cadia,

        An original drawing from the 25th edition of Vagabond's House sold on
        ebay a few months ago for about $250.

        Keith
      • tamsui1984
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2001
          --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "tamsui1984" <tamsui1984@y...> wrote:
          > Good morning folks.
          > I see this morning that the bidding on eBay for
          > the original illustration from PILOT BAILS OUT
          > has now gotten serious.

          I was trolling the net for news and thought I would
          check to see what this artwork realized last night.
          Bidding closed at $875 (U.S.) having failed to meet
          the vendor reserve. So it didn't sell, unless the
          owner does a deal off eBay with the highest bidder.
          It would be instructive to know what you all think
          of the artwork that was offered. It was an interesting
          piece, but certainly far from his best. Is it worth
          even the $875 ? Cadia, I think, thought that the current
          wave of patriotism sweeping the land would put a premium
          on this item, which is WW2 related.
          I don't have this book in my library. I wonder... Kieth,
          you are the resident artist in this group. Which are
          the best images in PILOT BAILS OUT?

          Ron Jack in Canada
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
            Hi Ron,

            You asked about the artwork in Pilot Bails Out.

            I feel that the art in this volume was not his best...most of it
            being made up of repetitive images of clouds and planes. Certainly it
            took him awhile to draw all the puffy clouds...but he didn't put alot
            of joy into the individual pieces. Of course the book doesn't have a
            particularly joyous content.

            There is a great image accompanying Bataan Falls which sums up the
            futility of war for me...and the Centaur on page 22 (his trademark)
            is very good.

            I honestly feel his illustrative peak was around the late thirties
            when he published Drifter's Gold...he had a few nice pieces in
            Floridays too. After that he gets a little stale. His last few books
            had hardly any original drawings at all, and I just think he got a
            little burned out on everything.

            My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
            Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
            Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
            have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way to
            make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
            years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.

            Keith
          • tamsui1984
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:

              > My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
              > Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
              > Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
              > have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way
              > make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
              > years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.
              >
              > Keith

              Thanks Keith. I admit to smiling in satisfaction when I read
              your comments because I had been wondering if I had been
              missng something. I trust your judgement, if not my own.
              I have said before that I am not a fan of his poetry. It was his
              pre-WW2 book illustration that attracted me, and still does. His
              wanderings and personal contacts interest me, because I am by instinct
              a biographer and collector of interesting characters.
              It remains to be established .... I leave that to you, how much
              Blandings style was influenced by others in the colony of painters
              and illustrators living in Hawaii in his early days. I think it is
              fair to say that he adapted to the 'market', (a better phrase escapes
              me at the moment) rather than leading the pack in any particular
              medium. I do not mean to dismiss his work. Not at all.

              I have wondered, since joining this group, if you have ever read
              Michener's RASCALS IN PARADISE (1957)? If you haven't, you will
              enjoy "Leetag, the Legend", which is one of my favorite chapters.
              I feel certain that Blanding would have owned a copy and would have
              also been emotionally attached to that particular chapter. I am
              going to read it again over the Holidays, and perhaps we might
              discuss it.

              Cheers! Ron Jack in rainy B.C.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                Ron

                I enjoyed reading your comments, and agree with you. I think Don was
                heavily influenced by his artist friends in 1920s Hawaii (Frank N.
                Moore, Howard H. Hitchcock & Kimo Wilder)...but his style never
                really evolved very far from his commercial art roots.

                I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but I
                have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

                At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation of
                the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
                high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit middle
                earth. I wonder if DB ever read the Hobbit?...probably not his cup of
                tea.

                Keith
              • tamsui1984
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                  > I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but
                  > have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

                  > At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation
                  of
                  > the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
                  > high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit
                  >middle earth.
                  > Keith

                  OK Keith. We'll hold off discussing Michener until you've read
                  that chapter on Edgar Leeteg. (OOPs I wrote "Leetag" before.)
                  He was a painter in the tropics, of course.

                  It looks like Tolkien is going to be very hot for months. One of
                  my hobbies it doing novel study with highschool and college students.
                  I'm in the diffult position of having three requests to work with
                  students on LORD OF THE RINGS, a trilogy I haven't read. So I
                  purchased Lin Carter's book "TOLKIEN: A Look Behind the Lord of
                  the Rings" (1969). I'm two thirds through Carter and I have to
                  decide by the New Year if I want to tackle the novels or beg off.

                  Merry Christmas to everyone on the Group.
                  Ron Jack in Canada
                • luahiniwai
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                    Hello all,
                    The dreaded "wekeula" from ebay has joined the fray. Alas, someone
                    else has that handle on Yahoo, so I had to choose another Hawaiian
                    name for this account. Oh well, it keeps it all interesting. Just
                    wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

                    I think that DB was more original than we give him credit for with
                    his wood block prints and drawings. There really do not seem to have
                    been many others doing similar work (although Huq Luquiens and
                    Emerson come to mind). I think that he really captured the essence
                    of the spirit of the islands in his prints and we can only guess at
                    the impact that those images have had on motivating people to come to
                    the islands to see it all for themselves. I also agree with Keith
                    though, that it would have been great to see what he would have done
                    had he focused less on poetry and the related prints and more on
                    painting or even plain artistic print making.

                    Much Aloha to all and Happy Holidays, Michael

                    ps, I have a rather huge collection of his stuff so if anyone ever
                    needs info in his pottery or books or whatever feel free to email
                    me. . .

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                      Ron,

                      I've read Lin Carter's book...a long time ago, and seem to remember
                      it being well written and insightful. But there's nothing like the
                      real thing and I would highly recommend you read the trilogy...you
                      won't regret it.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                        We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
                        us <smile>

                        Welcome Michael!

                        I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
                        I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
                        undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
                        once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
                        experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
                        off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
                        including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
                        think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
                        these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
                        Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
                        black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
                        from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

                        I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
                        if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

                        Keith
                      • luahiniwai
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                          Keith,
                          I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
                          paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
                          Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
                          mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
                          and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
                          the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
                          again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
                          trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
                          painted a lot for the trade.

                          Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
                          year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
                          <smile>

                          aloha, michael