Welcome, Justice!

  • kittykowkow
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
      You are now in a group of kindred souls who have all read those
      captivating words, some as children, such as I, who am now a 64-year-
      old-"child", still in love with those wonderful early books, and some
      who have just discovered the Don Blanding trove! You will meet some
      very interesting people and their dedication to uncovering the
      minutest details of Don Blanding, his relatives, friends and lovers
      will astonish you. The door to Vagabond's House is open! Step right
      in! Can you smell the faded frangipani and hear the muted voices from
      the past? Karen
    • tamsui1984
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
        Good morning folks.
        I see this morning that the bidding on eBay for
        the original illustration from PILOT BAILS OUT
        has now gotten serious.
        It has jumped to $643 (U.S.) but still hasn't reached
        vendor reserve. (I'll bet that figure is no secret.)
        Though I use eBay as a research source, I have
        never purchased from it. Can anyone tell me
        what the record is on eBay only, for an original
        painting or drawing by Blanding?

        Curious in British Columbia... Ron
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
          Hi,

          I've never seen another "original" Blanding book illustration on
          eBay -- though I might have missed something! However, within the
          past 10 years or so, a series of brush-and-ink drawings sold for
          about $2500 each (before internet).

          Size, condition, subject and other variables enter into the
          determination of value. Sometimes it's just a matter of who has
          money to spend.

          Generally, Blanding's Hawaiiana commands high prices; given the
          current emphasis on military and patriotic matters, this WWII
          illustration probably will garner some attention. However, not enough
          Blanding artwork has surfaced on the open market to suggest a value.

          Although I was aware of the Pilot Bails Out illustration some time
          ago, I do not know what the reserve on it may be.

          I do hope that one or more members of this group will win the item;
          then at least we'll be able to keep track of it.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
            Cadia,

            An original drawing from the 25th edition of Vagabond's House sold on
            ebay a few months ago for about $250.

            Keith
          • tamsui1984
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2001
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "tamsui1984" <tamsui1984@y...> wrote:
              > Good morning folks.
              > I see this morning that the bidding on eBay for
              > the original illustration from PILOT BAILS OUT
              > has now gotten serious.

              I was trolling the net for news and thought I would
              check to see what this artwork realized last night.
              Bidding closed at $875 (U.S.) having failed to meet
              the vendor reserve. So it didn't sell, unless the
              owner does a deal off eBay with the highest bidder.
              It would be instructive to know what you all think
              of the artwork that was offered. It was an interesting
              piece, but certainly far from his best. Is it worth
              even the $875 ? Cadia, I think, thought that the current
              wave of patriotism sweeping the land would put a premium
              on this item, which is WW2 related.
              I don't have this book in my library. I wonder... Kieth,
              you are the resident artist in this group. Which are
              the best images in PILOT BAILS OUT?

              Ron Jack in Canada
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
                Hi Ron,

                You asked about the artwork in Pilot Bails Out.

                I feel that the art in this volume was not his best...most of it
                being made up of repetitive images of clouds and planes. Certainly it
                took him awhile to draw all the puffy clouds...but he didn't put alot
                of joy into the individual pieces. Of course the book doesn't have a
                particularly joyous content.

                There is a great image accompanying Bataan Falls which sums up the
                futility of war for me...and the Centaur on page 22 (his trademark)
                is very good.

                I honestly feel his illustrative peak was around the late thirties
                when he published Drifter's Gold...he had a few nice pieces in
                Floridays too. After that he gets a little stale. His last few books
                had hardly any original drawings at all, and I just think he got a
                little burned out on everything.

                My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
                Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
                Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
                have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way to
                make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
                years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.

                Keith
              • tamsui1984
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:

                  > My favorite books of his from a design standpoint were probably
                  > Vagabond's House, Songs of the Seven Senses, Let Us Dream and Memory
                  > Room...some excellent stuff!!! I sometimes wonder how well he would
                  > have developed his art if he had not stumbled onto poetry as a way
                  > make a living. He spent so much of his time painting in his younger
                  > years, and I think he had some real talent in that area.
                  >
                  > Keith

                  Thanks Keith. I admit to smiling in satisfaction when I read
                  your comments because I had been wondering if I had been
                  missng something. I trust your judgement, if not my own.
                  I have said before that I am not a fan of his poetry. It was his
                  pre-WW2 book illustration that attracted me, and still does. His
                  wanderings and personal contacts interest me, because I am by instinct
                  a biographer and collector of interesting characters.
                  It remains to be established .... I leave that to you, how much
                  Blandings style was influenced by others in the colony of painters
                  and illustrators living in Hawaii in his early days. I think it is
                  fair to say that he adapted to the 'market', (a better phrase escapes
                  me at the moment) rather than leading the pack in any particular
                  medium. I do not mean to dismiss his work. Not at all.

                  I have wondered, since joining this group, if you have ever read
                  Michener's RASCALS IN PARADISE (1957)? If you haven't, you will
                  enjoy "Leetag, the Legend", which is one of my favorite chapters.
                  I feel certain that Blanding would have owned a copy and would have
                  also been emotionally attached to that particular chapter. I am
                  going to read it again over the Holidays, and perhaps we might
                  discuss it.

                  Cheers! Ron Jack in rainy B.C.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                    Ron

                    I enjoyed reading your comments, and agree with you. I think Don was
                    heavily influenced by his artist friends in 1920s Hawaii (Frank N.
                    Moore, Howard H. Hitchcock & Kimo Wilder)...but his style never
                    really evolved very far from his commercial art roots.

                    I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but I
                    have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

                    At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation of
                    the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
                    high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit middle
                    earth. I wonder if DB ever read the Hobbit?...probably not his cup of
                    tea.

                    Keith
                  • tamsui1984
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                      > I have read a number of Michener's books, including 'Hawaii' - but
                      > have not read 'Rascals...' - I'll have to add it to my reading list.

                      > At the moment I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings in anticipation
                      of
                      > the movie. The Tolkien stories were a great source of escapism in my
                      > high school days, and I'm finding it very nostalgic to revisit
                      >middle earth.
                      > Keith

                      OK Keith. We'll hold off discussing Michener until you've read
                      that chapter on Edgar Leeteg. (OOPs I wrote "Leetag" before.)
                      He was a painter in the tropics, of course.

                      It looks like Tolkien is going to be very hot for months. One of
                      my hobbies it doing novel study with highschool and college students.
                      I'm in the diffult position of having three requests to work with
                      students on LORD OF THE RINGS, a trilogy I haven't read. So I
                      purchased Lin Carter's book "TOLKIEN: A Look Behind the Lord of
                      the Rings" (1969). I'm two thirds through Carter and I have to
                      decide by the New Year if I want to tackle the novels or beg off.

                      Merry Christmas to everyone on the Group.
                      Ron Jack in Canada
                    • luahiniwai
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                        Hello all,
                        The dreaded "wekeula" from ebay has joined the fray. Alas, someone
                        else has that handle on Yahoo, so I had to choose another Hawaiian
                        name for this account. Oh well, it keeps it all interesting. Just
                        wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

                        I think that DB was more original than we give him credit for with
                        his wood block prints and drawings. There really do not seem to have
                        been many others doing similar work (although Huq Luquiens and
                        Emerson come to mind). I think that he really captured the essence
                        of the spirit of the islands in his prints and we can only guess at
                        the impact that those images have had on motivating people to come to
                        the islands to see it all for themselves. I also agree with Keith
                        though, that it would have been great to see what he would have done
                        had he focused less on poetry and the related prints and more on
                        painting or even plain artistic print making.

                        Much Aloha to all and Happy Holidays, Michael

                        ps, I have a rather huge collection of his stuff so if anyone ever
                        needs info in his pottery or books or whatever feel free to email
                        me. . .

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                          Ron,

                          I've read Lin Carter's book...a long time ago, and seem to remember
                          it being well written and insightful. But there's nothing like the
                          real thing and I would highly recommend you read the trilogy...you
                          won't regret it.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                            We better switch back to Blanding topics, otherwise Cadia will scold
                            us <smile>

                            Welcome Michael!

                            I agree with you that Blanding's illustration was very original...but
                            I was refering to his earlier paintings, which were mainly fish and
                            undersea panels and for the most part catered to tourists. I think
                            once he had the success of Vagabond's House he was allowed to
                            experiment more with his illustrative technique and it really took
                            off. Blanding was good friends with several engravers in Honolulu,
                            including John Poole, John Kelly and Juliette May Fraser...and I
                            think he learned some of his technique (and eye for detail) from
                            these artists. DBs adwork for the newspapers and the Charles R.
                            Frazier advertising company was also good training for his later
                            black & white work. Of course he also learned some of his technique
                            from Chin Chong the candlemaker...as described in TODAY IS HERE.

                            I'd be interested in obtaining an inventory list of your collection
                            if you were willing to send it to me via private email.

                            Keith
                          • luahiniwai
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                              Keith,
                              I had forgotten about Horatio Nelson Poole (more known for his Calif.
                              paintings and hawaii paintings, but also quite an engraver) and John
                              Poole, but they did some great work during that period. A friend of
                              mine handled a huge lot of both brother's etchings a few years back
                              and they were really incredible and now that you mention it I can see
                              the influence on DB. Point well taken on the earlier stuff, but then
                              again, there were a lot of "starving" artists working on the tourist
                              trade in those days and even Hitchcock and other well known artists
                              painted a lot for the trade.

                              Anyway, hope all of you find a bit of blanding in your stockings this
                              year--I am holding out for an orange 17 inch chop plate in coral reef
                              <smile>

                              aloha, michael