RE: [aloha-donblanding] ] Billie Jean Creager-Aker's Family

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
      Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

      Tj,

      I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
      already gave you. No phone numbers either.

    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
        tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
      • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
          Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
          Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
        • melinda young
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
            Hi!
            I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
            devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
            Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
            appreciated by old Don Himself.
            Melinda

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • missndn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
              Hi,

              I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
              and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
              describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

              MissNDN

            • melinda young
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                Hi!
                I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                that either might have been but never were or that
                were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                which is timeless.

                At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                let me know.
                Holymola1

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                  Check E-Bay

                • Helen Allen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                    I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                    played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                    Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                    think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                    listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                    poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                    grandchildren.