Hugh Ross Blanding - 1921 obituary

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hello, everyone...

      From the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, I have just transcribed the obituary
      and funeral notice for Hugh Ross Blanding, who died in Honolulu on
      June 13, 1921. It is in:

      Files: /Obituaries/Family/Hugh Ross Blanding

      1851; the obituary gives the date as 1853, and the funeral notice
      specifies that he was 68 years, 4 months and 1 day old. That would
      make his birth date February 12, 1853.

      What's interesting about this item is that apparently Judge Blanding
      was hospitalized the day after he arrived in Honolulu. Also, his son
      James K. was already living in Honolulu with DB and did not arrive
      with his parents aboard the Maui on June 9.

      According to a newspaper article, the Maui left San Francisco a day
      late and was delayed yet another day due to turbine troubles and a
      young, inexperienced crew. At the time, there was a shipping strike
      on the West Coast and subsitute crew members were staffing the ships
      that were able to sail.

      I'll transcribe this article later on.

      ~~Cadia
    • keith2draw@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
        Thanks Cadia,

        Now we have a new mystery...did James in fact go before his
        parents...or was he with them when they arrived? Which newspaper had
        the story right?

        p.s...I have a new email address: keith2draw @ adelphia.net

        Keith
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
          Keith,

          The Star-Bulletin obit is backed up by the June 9 passenger list of
          the Maui -- only Judge and Mrs. Blanding arrived at that time.

          What date do you have for DB returning to Honolulu in 1921, or
          earlier? That will give us a starting point. I suspect both he and
          his brother James K. arrived in Honolulu together.

          I've finished reading both the June and July 1921 S-B's. Nothing
          further on DB but I did find a couple of interesting articles (July)
          on Riley Allen and his return to Honolulu (and the editorship of the
          S-B). He'd been with the American Red Cross for 3 years in Siberia.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
            Cadia,

            I haven't been able to find out when Blanding returned to Hawaii, but
            I still believe it was early 1921. Perhaps they did come together
            from the Chicago/Rockland area.

            Hmmm...I'll have to check with my Rockland source to see if Jim
            Blanding was listed in the local directory there in 1920 or 1921.