Re: [aloha-donblanding] Blandingmobile

  • Michael Brookman
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
      Oh, boy! Was that the one where you had to walk down a narrow flight of
      stairs from the street? Where there were lots of cobwebs and dust? If it
      is, you sure brought back memories! I didn't go to school there, but I
      visited all my high school classmates who did from '77 through '83. (Some
      were on the 5 year plan.) michael

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
        Michael: Yup thats the place....I wonder if it was there when DB was around
        (smile)...tj
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
          Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

          Tj,

          I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
          already gave you. No phone numbers either.

        • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
            tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
          • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
              Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
              Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
            • melinda young
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                Hi!
                I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
                devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
                Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
                appreciated by old Don Himself.
                Melinda

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • missndn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Hi,

                  I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
                  and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
                  describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

                  MissNDN

                • melinda young
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                    Hi!
                    I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                    Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                    time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                    WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                    Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                    many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                    indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                    is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                    wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                    plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                    have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                    so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                    it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                    it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                    personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                    that either might have been but never were or that
                    were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                    Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                    which is timeless.

                    At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                    lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                    let me know.
                    Holymola1

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                      Check E-Bay

                    • Helen Allen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                        I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                        played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                        Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                        think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                        listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                        poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                        grandchildren.