Blandingmobile

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
      tj

      Glad you're back in the sunshine. I may have a few detective
      assignments for your old Blandingmobile. One is in Berkeley.

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
        Haven't been in Berkeley for a while....used to go to a little ole hole in
        the wall bar called the Rathskeller (sp?) in my younger years...Let me
        know.....tj
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
          Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla notes from the phone calls I had before I
          abandoned you all to retire. I'll need to get a review from you on what
          you've dug up...names, phone numbers, etc. You might email me privately on
          that stuff. After being retired for the last 3 weeks, its beginning to dawn
          on me that I really don't have to go back to work next Monday...good God,
          what will I do??? (smile).........tj
        • Michael Brookman
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
            Oh, boy! Was that the one where you had to walk down a narrow flight of
            stairs from the street? Where there were lots of cobwebs and dust? If it
            is, you sure brought back memories! I didn't go to school there, but I
            visited all my high school classmates who did from '77 through '83. (Some
            were on the 5 year plan.) michael

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
              Michael: Yup thats the place....I wonder if it was there when DB was around
              (smile)...tj
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

                Tj,

                I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
                already gave you. No phone numbers either.

              • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
                  tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
                • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 2 5:35 PM
                    Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
                    Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
                  • melinda young
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 3 7:14 AM
                      Hi!
                      I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
                      devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
                      Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
                      appreciated by old Don Himself.
                      Melinda

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • missndn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 3 5:44 PM
                        Hi,

                        I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
                        and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
                        describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

                        MissNDN

                      • melinda young
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 4 7:59 AM
                          Hi!
                          I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                          Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                          time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                          WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                          Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                          many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                          indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                          is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                          wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                          plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                          have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                          so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                          it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                          it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                          personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                          that either might have been but never were or that
                          were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                          Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                          which is timeless.

                          At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                          lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                          let me know.
                          Holymola1

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 4 8:05 AM
                            Check E-Bay

                          • Helen Allen
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 4 9:03 AM
                              I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                              played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                              Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                              think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                              listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                              poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                              grandchildren.