] Billie Jean Creager-Aker's Family

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
      TJ,

      When in Chowchilla, look up Else Mc Laughlin���..mention Jack and Billie
      Akers name as they were/are good friends and �she knows everyone and
      everything�.

      When in Phoenix call Jack- Frank as he is known there.

    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
        tj

        Glad you're back in the sunshine. I may have a few detective
        assignments for your old Blandingmobile. One is in Berkeley.

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
          Haven't been in Berkeley for a while....used to go to a little ole hole in
          the wall bar called the Rathskeller (sp?) in my younger years...Let me
          know.....tj
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
            Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla notes from the phone calls I had before I
            abandoned you all to retire. I'll need to get a review from you on what
            you've dug up...names, phone numbers, etc. You might email me privately on
            that stuff. After being retired for the last 3 weeks, its beginning to dawn
            on me that I really don't have to go back to work next Monday...good God,
            what will I do??? (smile).........tj
          • Michael Brookman
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
              Oh, boy! Was that the one where you had to walk down a narrow flight of
              stairs from the street? Where there were lots of cobwebs and dust? If it
              is, you sure brought back memories! I didn't go to school there, but I
              visited all my high school classmates who did from '77 through '83. (Some
              were on the 5 year plan.) michael

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                Michael: Yup thats the place....I wonder if it was there when DB was around
                (smile)...tj
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

                  Tj,

                  I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
                  already gave you. No phone numbers either.

                • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
                    tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
                  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
                      Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
                    • melinda young
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Hi!
                        I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
                        devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
                        Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
                        appreciated by old Don Himself.
                        Melinda

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • missndn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                          Hi,

                          I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
                          and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
                          describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

                          MissNDN

                        • melinda young
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                            Hi!
                            I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                            Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                            time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                            WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                            Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                            many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                            indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                            is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                            wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                            plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                            have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                            so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                            it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                            it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                            personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                            that either might have been but never were or that
                            were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                            Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                            which is timeless.

                            At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                            lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                            let me know.
                            Holymola1

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                              Check E-Bay

                            • Helen Allen
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                                played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                                Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                                think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                                listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                                poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                                grandchildren.