Re: Billie Jean Creager-Aker's Family

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
      Great work Bev!

      Buba...that's an unusual nickname. So the letters were from their
      Vagabond's House on Wheels?...great stuff!

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
        tj is back from some vagabonding into Montana and is now wanting to
        get back into the frey with some research.........tj

        tj,

        What did your friend in Sacramento find out about Armine�s death there in
        1944. The Von Tempsky�s of Maui and Milo Shepard of the Jack London Ranch
        would like to know? Not to mention all of us.

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
          TJ,

          When in Chowchilla, look up Else Mc Laughlin���..mention Jack and Billie
          Akers name as they were/are good friends and �she knows everyone and
          everything�.

          When in Phoenix call Jack- Frank as he is known there.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
            Wow, has Bev taken off on that Chowchilla connection or what! Great work
            Bev! tj is back from some vagabonding into Montana and is now wanting to
            get back into the frey with some research......Being the newly retired guy, I
            have to figure out what the hell to do now!...............tj
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
              Bev: Nothing has turned up on Armine's death in Fresno. However, now that I
              have a little more time to nose around, I'll go up there myself and see what
              I can find. I also wanted to talk at the Chowchilla people a little more,
              though I think we've uncovered the best connection and your work in meeting
              them is really interesting. When I come out of Mexico in March, I have
              friends in Phoenix area that I will be visiting and would like to visit with
              the Ackers also. If you get prints of photo's, art, etc, I'd like to get
              copies of it and will pay the price for copy work, etc. I'm really
              interested in the 1936-1940 period of time that included Chowchilla/Carmel,
              etc. Armine was in there also during this period of time. She might not be
              totally connected to DB in this time period but there was that comradre (sp?)
              and support that existed between them.
              Montana is a beautiful State but at 0 degrees, it was more than my body
              could stand.....my poooooor car was nothing but ice and took 30 minutes to
              warm up, etc. Glad to be in Calif!!!
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                tj

                Glad you're back in the sunshine. I may have a few detective
                assignments for your old Blandingmobile. One is in Berkeley.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                  Haven't been in Berkeley for a while....used to go to a little ole hole in
                  the wall bar called the Rathskeller (sp?) in my younger years...Let me
                  know.....tj
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                    Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla notes from the phone calls I had before I
                    abandoned you all to retire. I'll need to get a review from you on what
                    you've dug up...names, phone numbers, etc. You might email me privately on
                    that stuff. After being retired for the last 3 weeks, its beginning to dawn
                    on me that I really don't have to go back to work next Monday...good God,
                    what will I do??? (smile).........tj
                  • Michael Brookman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                      Oh, boy! Was that the one where you had to walk down a narrow flight of
                      stairs from the street? Where there were lots of cobwebs and dust? If it
                      is, you sure brought back memories! I didn't go to school there, but I
                      visited all my high school classmates who did from '77 through '83. (Some
                      were on the 5 year plan.) michael

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                        Michael: Yup thats the place....I wonder if it was there when DB was around
                        (smile)...tj
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                          Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

                          Tj,

                          I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
                          already gave you. No phone numbers either.

                        • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
                            tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
                          • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
                              Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
                              Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
                            • melinda young
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                                Hi!
                                I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
                                devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
                                Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
                                appreciated by old Don Himself.
                                Melinda

                                http://shopping.yahoo.com
                              • missndn@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  Hi,

                                  I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
                                  and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
                                  describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

                                  MissNDN

                                • melinda young
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                    Hi!
                                    I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                                    Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                                    time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                                    WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                                    Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                                    many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                                    indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                                    is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                                    wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                                    plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                                    have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                                    so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                                    it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                                    it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                                    personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                                    that either might have been but never were or that
                                    were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                                    Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                                    which is timeless.

                                    At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                                    lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                                    let me know.
                                    Holymola1

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                      Check E-Bay

                                    • Helen Allen
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                        I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                                        played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                                        Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                                        think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                                        listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                                        poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                                        grandchildren.