Billie Jean Creager-Aker's Family

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
      HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!

      We just returned from Phoenix and Thanksgiving with our children and their
      relatives there. We had a great time. The part that will interest you all is
      that Hal and I spent a number of hours with Billie Jeans husband Frank and one
      of their daughters Jackie at Frank and Billie Jeans home in Tempe.

      What a welcoming and friendly family they are. Frank talked about Don and
      Jackie remembered things that had been said about him. Jackie never met Don,
      but Frank had been with him many times in Chowchilla. Don was at their
      wedding in 1944 and gave them a 10x15” black/white drawing of themselves for
      Christmas ’46. There are 6 or 7 art pieces of Don’s that were given to Pinkie
      in their entry way.

      There were letters from Don and Buba (Scotty’s nick name) sent during their
      auto trip of the Southwest in 1936. Jackie was unable to find the jewelry
      that Don had sent Billie Jean over the years, maybe I’ll see it next time I
      visit. I have copies of photos of Pinkie and Will Creager, Billie Jean and
      Franks wedding in the Creager backyard and of Billie Jean in 1981. They just
      took them off the wall, gave us all the old letters and sent us off to Kinko’s
      like they had know us for years.

      When we go back the next time, we will copy the art in the entry way.
      Another daughter BJ (Billie Jean) will come with what she has and we will
      visit more.

      I will post the photos next month after I get Christmas up in the house and
      gifts out the door.

      ARMINE VON TEMPSKY

      I have been talking by phone with Randy Von Tempsky, Armine’s nephew/ son of
      brother Poli, in Maui. He was born in 1945 and his sister Armine was born on
      the Bing Crosby Ranch in Nevada in 1946 where his dad Poli was Ranch Manager
      for a few years.

      He, like Maui Tom’ will check with friends in Hana about Auntie Pinau. He
      use to be a tour guide to Hana. He does not recall his Aunties talking about
      Don Blanding ever visiting the Von Tempsky’s. He has sent me to the Maui
      News, which is celebrating 100 years in operation this year. He said if Don
      was there, there would be something in the paper about it.

      He said his Sister Armine, knew Al Ball and visited him frequently in
      California. Unfortunately she died in 1977 and never married, so that lead is
      a dead end. Randy went to Maui at the age of 17, on his own. I think his Mom
      and sister stayed in California. The Von Tempsky girls raised him from there.
      He lived on Arrow One, the ranch that Louis and Randal Von Tempsky originally
      owned before Louis became manager of the Baldwin Ranch. Auntie Alexia
      (Randal’s daughter) lived in the big house, Auntie Gwen lived in the guest
      house and Auntie Jackie (Inez Mac Phee) lived close by and “all wanted him to
      stay with them.”

      He too has been very generous with his time and loves to “Talk Story” about
      the things he know of his family, Maui and the Hawaiian’s.

    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
        Great work Bev!

        Buba...that's an unusual nickname. So the letters were from their
        Vagabond's House on Wheels?...great stuff!

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
          tj is back from some vagabonding into Montana and is now wanting to
          get back into the frey with some research.........tj

          tj,

          What did your friend in Sacramento find out about Armine�s death there in
          1944. The Von Tempsky�s of Maui and Milo Shepard of the Jack London Ranch
          would like to know? Not to mention all of us.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
            TJ,

            When in Chowchilla, look up Else Mc Laughlin���..mention Jack and Billie
            Akers name as they were/are good friends and �she knows everyone and
            everything�.

            When in Phoenix call Jack- Frank as he is known there.

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 29, 2001
              Wow, has Bev taken off on that Chowchilla connection or what! Great work
              Bev! tj is back from some vagabonding into Montana and is now wanting to
              get back into the frey with some research......Being the newly retired guy, I
              have to figure out what the hell to do now!...............tj
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                Bev: Nothing has turned up on Armine's death in Fresno. However, now that I
                have a little more time to nose around, I'll go up there myself and see what
                I can find. I also wanted to talk at the Chowchilla people a little more,
                though I think we've uncovered the best connection and your work in meeting
                them is really interesting. When I come out of Mexico in March, I have
                friends in Phoenix area that I will be visiting and would like to visit with
                the Ackers also. If you get prints of photo's, art, etc, I'd like to get
                copies of it and will pay the price for copy work, etc. I'm really
                interested in the 1936-1940 period of time that included Chowchilla/Carmel,
                etc. Armine was in there also during this period of time. She might not be
                totally connected to DB in this time period but there was that comradre (sp?)
                and support that existed between them.
                Montana is a beautiful State but at 0 degrees, it was more than my body
                could stand.....my poooooor car was nothing but ice and took 30 minutes to
                warm up, etc. Glad to be in Calif!!!
              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                  tj

                  Glad you're back in the sunshine. I may have a few detective
                  assignments for your old Blandingmobile. One is in Berkeley.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                    Haven't been in Berkeley for a while....used to go to a little ole hole in
                    the wall bar called the Rathskeller (sp?) in my younger years...Let me
                    know.....tj
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                      Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla notes from the phone calls I had before I
                      abandoned you all to retire. I'll need to get a review from you on what
                      you've dug up...names, phone numbers, etc. You might email me privately on
                      that stuff. After being retired for the last 3 weeks, its beginning to dawn
                      on me that I really don't have to go back to work next Monday...good God,
                      what will I do??? (smile).........tj
                    • Michael Brookman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 30, 2001
                        Oh, boy! Was that the one where you had to walk down a narrow flight of
                        stairs from the street? Where there were lots of cobwebs and dust? If it
                        is, you sure brought back memories! I didn't go to school there, but I
                        visited all my high school classmates who did from '77 through '83. (Some
                        were on the 5 year plan.) michael

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                          Michael: Yup thats the place....I wonder if it was there when DB was around
                          (smile)...tj
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                            Bev: I'll dig up my Chowchilla.......tj

                            Tj,

                            I really don�t have anything new on Chowchilla other than the 2 names I
                            already gave you. No phone numbers either.

                          • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
                              tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
                            • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
                                Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
                                Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
                              • melinda young
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  Hi!
                                  I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
                                  devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
                                  Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
                                  appreciated by old Don Himself.
                                  Melinda

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                • missndn@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
                                    Hi,

                                    I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
                                    and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
                                    describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

                                    MissNDN

                                  • melinda young
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                      Hi!
                                      I don't know about the others, but I love Don
                                      Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
                                      time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
                                      WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
                                      Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
                                      many. His art, original and romantic, was very
                                      indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
                                      is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
                                      wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
                                      plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
                                      have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
                                      so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
                                      it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
                                      it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
                                      personification of the wishing and wanting of things
                                      that either might have been but never were or that
                                      were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
                                      Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
                                      which is timeless.

                                      At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
                                      lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
                                      let me know.
                                      Holymola1

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                        Check E-Bay

                                      • Helen Allen
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                                          I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                                          played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                                          Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                                          think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                                          listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                                          poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                                          grandchildren.