[aloha-donblanding] Re: DB

  • Jakable@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 18, 2000
      I am willing to provide whatever moral and logistical support I can to doing
      a book. In addtion, I am an editor at a newspaper and if you think that
      skill would help, I am willing to pitch in.
      I think the idea of a biography of such a wonderful poet is long overdue.
      Thanks for you message.

      Jake Williams
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 18, 2000
        The travelogues are viewable at the Bishop Museum and also from Steve
        Fredericks in Kailua Hawai'i.

        aloha
        Tom
      • haven putnam
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 23, 2000
          Tom
          I started doing research on Don about a year ago, in hopes that he would
          be a point on which the waring Putnam family could agree, (that being to
          start a foundation for the arts in his name). Boy was I wrong ! Don was
          married to my great aunt Dorothy Putnam, and the marriage read like a Marx
          Brothers movie, Don and his friends being the marx brothers and Dorothy
          being Mrs. Snoopington. Don was truly a crack-up to be around and had no use
          for the country club set that Dorothy hung around with. Ultimately Don ends
          up the Mayor of Ft. Pierce (everyone in town loved the guy except the X and
          her family who happened to own the bank, newspaper and everything of value
          in town.) Don found himself out of sorts with the power brokers , not a good
          position to be in. NOBODY CROSSED DOROTHY AND GOT AWAY WITH IT !!!! The
          family (G.P.Putnams side) started a smear campaign , that being to expose
          that Don was the Walt Whitman of the south Seas (if you get my drift). Don
          never returned to FT. Pierce after the war and any attempts to patch things
          up fell on deaf ears ! By the way if Don had picked up Walt Whitman
          tendencies it was due to Dorothy and her kinky rich friends.
          At any rate I felt it was safer to abandon my research, I got a little
          to close to family skeletons in the closet and find myself off course with
          my original intention, that being to break down the misunderstanding between
          my cousins and my own family members.
          If you need a publisher let me know, I have been working with Florida
          Classics (the company that publishes Floridays ) and will put you in touch
          with them. This story is far more intriguing than I ever could have
          imagined, I just don't want G.P.s side blaming me for letting the truth be
          told !!!!1
          Sincerely
          Haven (bob) Putnam Jr.

        • TikiRoom18@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

[...]

            Bob!
            What a fantastically gossip-y post! I love it! It does make Don's life
            seem more real to know that he had these personal difficulties...Are you
            serious that Don was the MAYOR of a town called Ft. Pierce? This is certainly
            new to me... I didn't take Don for the political type. How interesting...
            You mention not wanting to continue your research because of family
            reasons, well, would you consider sharing your notes with some of our
            writer-friends here on this mailing list? There is talk of trying to get some
            sort of biography together. I'm sure your family information will come in
            handy. Just a thought...
            And please feel free to continue to share stories here! I thank you for
            this post, it is certainly intriguing and reveals a little more about the
            personal side of this most interesting man...

            Aloha
            larry
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
              I have had more than one email over the last 8 months alluding to the various
              sexual persuasions of DB. Maybe this is stirred up due to his lack of
              marriages, etc. I was told that the travelogue movie he did for the Hawaiian
              Travel Bureau, which is at the Bishop Museum would given hints to his sexual
              persuasion due to his mannerisms and voice, etc. Not having seen the
              Travelogue, I don't know what to expect. I don't know how one can make those
              assumptions based on the Travelogue itself. Anyone out there hear any other
              gossip? His poem in Jimmy Buffet's newest book is called "The Double Life",
              what double is he referring to? I have my own interpretation of the poem,
              but wanted to see if others out there read it as I did........
            • TikiRoom18@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

                << I have had more than one email over the last 8 months alluding to the
                various
                sexual persuasions of DB. Maybe this is stirred up due to his lack of
                marriages, etc. I was told that the travelogue movie he did for the
                Hawaiian
                Travel Bureau, which is at the Bishop Museum would given hints to his sexual
                persuasion due to his mannerisms and voice, etc. Not having seen the
                Travelogue, I don't know what to expect. I don't know how one can make
                those
                assumptions based on the Travelogue itself. >>

                But even if Don has "various sexual persuasions"... it still doesn't take
                away from his body of work. Whatever is going around now, "lifestyle"-wise,
                has always gone on, this is nothing new here.
                Mannerisms alone are no indication of sexual preference as we all know.
                They can cause us to suspect someone, but it is not to be held as "proof" of
                someones sexuality.
                For various reasons, mainly the stigma that homosexuality/bisexuality
                seems to have in our culture, if Don was either, you will probably find
                nothing written to corroborate it. Any evidence would have to anecdotal from
                living relatives/friends, etc.
                Then our writers will have to ask themselves if this is something they would
                want to reveal...lots of questions, and I hear a can of worms being opened
                here...
                One thing we all know if we have read many biographies, is that everyone
                has skeletons in their closets. No one has walked a life that all of society
                would approve of. Not me, and not you, either... Many times we idealize our
                heroes and refuse to believe that they, like us, have feet of clay. I guess
                the biographers task, at times, is to walk a fine line between writing
                "truth" and writing what becomes an expose.
                I don't have a tidy way of winding this post up, just some rambling
                thoughts that have been going through my mind today after reading these
                fascinating posts... anyone else have their mana'o (opinion) to add?

                Aloha
                larry
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
                  From tjmarkle. My interest in DB is not "outing" or any other political or
                  moral aspects regarding his life. My interest is in DB himself and who he
                  was. An artist is an artist, and I love his work and always have. However,
                  his privacy is "ultra" private and as a man of his times and the era he was
                  in had to influence how he was "presented" to the public. In that so little
                  is known of his actual private life I was going to the assumption that he may
                  have had gay tendencies and this was an ultra hush area. I don't know, I
                  have had many suspicions, but you know, I've been collecting for 30+ years
                  now and I still love the guy.
                • haven putnam
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
                    Dear Larry
                    I have to say that in the last year what I unearthed on Don has
                    to a large degree changed my life. Firstly Don was genuinely a wonderful,
                    caring, compassionate person. What amazed me the most was his ability to
                    forgive those who had wronged him , one of those people happened to be my
                    great aunt Dorothy. They had been close friends for over twenty years before
                    they married. Dorothy had just survived an abusive marriage and had suffered
                    both emotional and physical abuse. To this Don in Floridays tells her ( pg
                    10 )" For I would heal old hurts with loveliness, and soothe my eyes with
                    color's bright caress, With sunsets arched behind tall lonely palms."
                    Unfortunately things didn't turn our the way they planned. Don was a merry
                    prankster and Dorothy was the crayon heiress, not the most suitable match,
                    in retrospect. Don it seems had held a torch for her from the first day he
                    met her in Bend OR. He dedicated Vagabond house to her and one of Dorothys
                    acquaintances believed that she was his rowdy duchess. With all that he
                    invested in the relationship you would think he would be bitter when the
                    relationship soured, Don genuinely forgive her and the family that had
                    mistreated him. I don't have time at this moment to go into more details,
                    but I can say that I have been touched by his forgiveness and in turn his
                    love., whatever moral vices he may have had are irrelevant !!!!!
                    Take care: Haven

                  • TikiRoom18@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

                      <<
[...]

                      Haven...
                      What a beautiful post! My only acquaintance with Don has been through his
                      writing. He does strike me as "good people", certainly someone in history
                      that I feel real pain that I was too young to meet. He sounds like he was an
                      excellent conversationalist and could keep people entranced with his
                      story-telling and life history. He also sounds like a guy that would write
                      back to his fans and give back over and above. He sounds like a good person
                      to have as a friend.
                      In his later books I sense a peace-fullness about him. The poems about
                      wandering, the running had slowed down and he seemed to go inward (as every
                      poet must eventually I think...). I can see where a part of this peace was,
                      as you have so generously shared, a settling, at least in his own mind, of
                      relationships he had in the past that perhaps didn't work out as he had
                      wanted them to. A forgiving and a moving on with lessons learned.
                      Haven, thank you again for sharing your insight with our group. This mail
                      list has become first on my list of email I open when I sign on. I think
                      Don's poetry attracts a certain type of person, people who dream and people
                      who are open to life. People who, like Don, have loved and lost, but still
                      smile. People who recognize that we live in a big beautiful world and that
                      one life I truly NOT enough to experience it all, but it doesnt stop us from
                      trying... I thank you all for receiving me into your number...

                      Aloha
                      larry
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                        I DON'T RECALL IF I SHRED THIS WITH YOU ALL BEFORE OR NOT. IN A PHONE CALL WITH JACK LONDON'S RELATIVE WHO KNEW DON, I ASKED ABOUT DON'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION. HE SAID DON WAS GAY, BUT IN THOSE DAYS NOBODY ON THE LONDON RANCH CARRIED ABOUT IT.

                      • canoeist35
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Bev Leinbach <bevbach@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I DON'T RECALL IF I SHRED THIS WITH YOU ALL BEFORE OR NOT. IN A
                          PHONE CALL WITH JACK LONDON'S RELATIVE WHO KNEW DON, ...

                          Bev, I wondered about your changing the thread title here until I read
                          the old thread that it linked. In between my original post
                          ("Curious") and my slightly peevish postscript of a couple days ago, I
                          had gone back and read seven months of posts from 2000--but I started
                          with the peak posting month of February, so I missed the posts from
                          Dorothy Binney's nephew in January. Thanks.

                          Michael
                        • canoeist35
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 7, 2007
                            --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "canoeist35" <canoeist35@...>
                            wrote:
                            > had gone back and read seven months of posts from 2000--but I started
                            > with the peak posting month of February, so I missed the posts from
                            > Dorothy Binney's nephew in January. Thanks. > Michael

                            This thread links back to those January 2000 posts, as I hope shows up
                            in the threading chain that may accompany this. There were two very
                            interesting posts there from Haven Putnam, who talks of his memories of
                            Don and also of researching for a possible book. Did he ever return to
                            this board? Did he ever share more of his own knowledge of DB and
                            Dorothy? Given the passage of time, his direct connection to DB seems
                            like a precious source for information. I'm just curious if anyone
                            stayed in touch with him subsequently, or managed to nail down some of
                            his memories in a written format? --Michael
                          • canoeist35
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2007
                              No replies to this must mean no, I take it. I emailed Bob Haven Putnam
                              at the SN he had been using back then, haven't heard anything.
                              Couldn't find him via google. Still seems a precious link to direct-
                              contact knowledge of Don. --Michael