Re: Star-Bulletin 1939

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
      Oops.... "A Night to Remember" was produced in February 1940.

      ~~Cadia
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
        I believe Scotty was the stage manager...and Ruth appeared in one of
        the skits.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2001
          Cadia,

          "A Night to Remember" in February 1940,

          Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in
          the segment "The Merry Tourists."

          Ruth was in the finale, "Parade of Fashions in Flowers," costumed as the Bird
          of Paradise.

          Besides serving as master of ceremonies, Blanding appeared in the
          "Radio Broadcast" segment as announcer Lionel Loudmouth.

          Songs for "A Night to Remember" were written Edwin Sawtelle, Robin
          McQuesten, R. Alexander Anderson and Malcolm Beelby.

          We now know all three were there in Feb. 1940 but apparently only
          Scotty was there in August. I will show this to Jack Ackers in Nov. and see
          if he recalls anyone talking about it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
            Keith,

            The stage director for "A Night to Remember" in February 1940, as
            listed, was Claude A. Stiehl.

            After reading the fine print, I did find that both Scotty and Ruth
            appeared in the production. Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
              Cadia,

              My mistake...I was thinking of the Taos Tourist Follies, in which
              Scotty was the stage manager.

              Hey everyone...I just bought a curious Blanding item. It's a copy
              of 'Mostly California' which was once owned by the Hollywood Gossip
              Columnist Hedda Hopper. It was given to her by the character actress
              Adeline de Walt Reynolds (1862-1961)...who was a good friend of both
              Hedda and DB. Adeline inscribed it in the back...Blanding inscribed
              it in the front. There is also a signed photo of Adeline...and a
              Hedda Hopper column slipped in the book - a signed photo of Blanding
              tucked in too.

              You will remember that "Lady in the Cockeyed Hat" was written for
              Hedda Hopper. This poem appears on pages 95-97 in TODAY IS HERE.

              I guess I'll have to search out Hedda's private papers now...could be
              some correspondence there.