Re: Star-Bulletin 1939

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
      Bev,

      Who has a copy of the program for "A Night to Remember?" I have the
      newspaper details of the production in February 1939 and Scotty is
      not listed among the credits.

      He was, however, the stage manager for an April 1940 musical program
      for which I do have the program.

      Thanks for all your sleuthing in Arizona -- this is great!

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
        Oops.... "A Night to Remember" was produced in February 1940.

        ~~Cadia
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
          I believe Scotty was the stage manager...and Ruth appeared in one of
          the skits.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2001
            Cadia,

            "A Night to Remember" in February 1940,

            Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in
            the segment "The Merry Tourists."

            Ruth was in the finale, "Parade of Fashions in Flowers," costumed as the Bird
            of Paradise.

            Besides serving as master of ceremonies, Blanding appeared in the
            "Radio Broadcast" segment as announcer Lionel Loudmouth.

            Songs for "A Night to Remember" were written Edwin Sawtelle, Robin
            McQuesten, R. Alexander Anderson and Malcolm Beelby.

            We now know all three were there in Feb. 1940 but apparently only
            Scotty was there in August. I will show this to Jack Ackers in Nov. and see
            if he recalls anyone talking about it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
              Keith,

              The stage director for "A Night to Remember" in February 1940, as
              listed, was Claude A. Stiehl.

              After reading the fine print, I did find that both Scotty and Ruth
              appeared in the production. Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                Cadia,

                My mistake...I was thinking of the Taos Tourist Follies, in which
                Scotty was the stage manager.

                Hey everyone...I just bought a curious Blanding item. It's a copy
                of 'Mostly California' which was once owned by the Hollywood Gossip
                Columnist Hedda Hopper. It was given to her by the character actress
                Adeline de Walt Reynolds (1862-1961)...who was a good friend of both
                Hedda and DB. Adeline inscribed it in the back...Blanding inscribed
                it in the front. There is also a signed photo of Adeline...and a
                Hedda Hopper column slipped in the book - a signed photo of Blanding
                tucked in too.

                You will remember that "Lady in the Cockeyed Hat" was written for
                Hedda Hopper. This poem appears on pages 95-97 in TODAY IS HERE.

                I guess I'll have to search out Hedda's private papers now...could be
                some correspondence there.