Star-Bulletin 1939

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
      Aloha to all,

      What's interesting is that on February 15, the day Blanding was flying by
      Clipper back to California, Dorothy Putnam was arriving by Clipper to
      rejoin a cruise on the Swedish liner Kungsholm. She'd had to leave
      the cruise in Mexico to fly back to Florida for a family emergency.
      Blanding's flight left at 3:30 p.m., the Kungshom departed at 6 p.m.

      Wonder if DB and Dorothy met during the day?? Could this have been
      the chance meeting that turned DB's life in a completely different
      direction?

      And they married on June 13, 1940 during a brief visit to Immokolee, Fa. they
      married. Anyone know Sally Putnam Chapman and can ask her what is in Dorothy’
      s diaries???

      The five reels from 1939 contain lots of material about Lei Day and
      DB's several trips to and from Hawaii. He arrived April 19, went to
      Hilo in mid-May to work on Drifter's Gold, and left Honolulu in mid-
      September aboard the Lurline for a two-month lecture tour on the West
      Coast. DB returned to Honolulu on November 22 via Clipper, met at
      Pearl City by Mr. and Mrs. Scott Creager!!

      So now we know that Scotty and Ruth were married sometime between May
      1937 and November 1939.

      Didn’t Scotty write in that card he sent to himself
      about the Boeing clipper Flight…March 13, 1939:
      “I have now spent two years in the Hawaiian Islands and Like them
      more each day. It was while traveling over here on board the old S.S. Malolo
      that I met Ruth Eleanor Quackenbush to whom I am engaged at present
      and intend to go back to the coast again this April to marry her and bring her
      back to the Hawaiian Islands to live in
      paradise.”

      So I assume they married in April 1929 in California where Jack Ackers said
      Ruth was from.

      DB's spent the winter of 1939-40 in Hawaii, preparing the "A Night to
      Remember" pageant for the Outdoor Circle, which took place February 1-
      3. No, Scotty was not stage manager or otherwise named in the
      production credits.

      But his name appeared on the program, strange.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
        Bev,

        Who has a copy of the program for "A Night to Remember?" I have the
        newspaper details of the production in February 1939 and Scotty is
        not listed among the credits.

        He was, however, the stage manager for an April 1940 musical program
        for which I do have the program.

        Thanks for all your sleuthing in Arizona -- this is great!

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
          Oops.... "A Night to Remember" was produced in February 1940.

          ~~Cadia
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
            I believe Scotty was the stage manager...and Ruth appeared in one of
            the skits.
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2001
              Cadia,

              "A Night to Remember" in February 1940,

              Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in
              the segment "The Merry Tourists."

              Ruth was in the finale, "Parade of Fashions in Flowers," costumed as the Bird
              of Paradise.

              Besides serving as master of ceremonies, Blanding appeared in the
              "Radio Broadcast" segment as announcer Lionel Loudmouth.

              Songs for "A Night to Remember" were written Edwin Sawtelle, Robin
              McQuesten, R. Alexander Anderson and Malcolm Beelby.

              We now know all three were there in Feb. 1940 but apparently only
              Scotty was there in August. I will show this to Jack Ackers in Nov. and see
              if he recalls anyone talking about it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                Keith,

                The stage director for "A Night to Remember" in February 1940, as
                listed, was Claude A. Stiehl.

                After reading the fine print, I did find that both Scotty and Ruth
                appeared in the production. Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                  Cadia,

                  My mistake...I was thinking of the Taos Tourist Follies, in which
                  Scotty was the stage manager.

                  Hey everyone...I just bought a curious Blanding item. It's a copy
                  of 'Mostly California' which was once owned by the Hollywood Gossip
                  Columnist Hedda Hopper. It was given to her by the character actress
                  Adeline de Walt Reynolds (1862-1961)...who was a good friend of both
                  Hedda and DB. Adeline inscribed it in the back...Blanding inscribed
                  it in the front. There is also a signed photo of Adeline...and a
                  Hedda Hopper column slipped in the book - a signed photo of Blanding
                  tucked in too.

                  You will remember that "Lady in the Cockeyed Hat" was written for
                  Hedda Hopper. This poem appears on pages 95-97 in TODAY IS HERE.

                  I guess I'll have to search out Hedda's private papers now...could be
                  some correspondence there.