Re: Star-Bulletin 1921, 1939, 1940

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
      Cadia,

      In the May 1921 Star Bulletin keep your eyes open for Aji-No-Moto
      Ads, and any portraits that appear in the society pages. I've found
      several portraits done by Blanding on these pages.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
        Aloha to all,

        What's interesting is that on February 15, the day Blanding was flying by
        Clipper back to California, Dorothy Putnam was arriving by Clipper to
        rejoin a cruise on the Swedish liner Kungsholm. She'd had to leave
        the cruise in Mexico to fly back to Florida for a family emergency.
        Blanding's flight left at 3:30 p.m., the Kungshom departed at 6 p.m.

        Wonder if DB and Dorothy met during the day?? Could this have been
        the chance meeting that turned DB's life in a completely different
        direction?

        And they married on June 13, 1940 during a brief visit to Immokolee, Fa. they
        married. Anyone know Sally Putnam Chapman and can ask her what is in Dorothy’
        s diaries???

        The five reels from 1939 contain lots of material about Lei Day and
        DB's several trips to and from Hawaii. He arrived April 19, went to
        Hilo in mid-May to work on Drifter's Gold, and left Honolulu in mid-
        September aboard the Lurline for a two-month lecture tour on the West
        Coast. DB returned to Honolulu on November 22 via Clipper, met at
        Pearl City by Mr. and Mrs. Scott Creager!!

        So now we know that Scotty and Ruth were married sometime between May
        1937 and November 1939.

        Didn’t Scotty write in that card he sent to himself
        about the Boeing clipper Flight…March 13, 1939:
        “I have now spent two years in the Hawaiian Islands and Like them
        more each day. It was while traveling over here on board the old S.S. Malolo
        that I met Ruth Eleanor Quackenbush to whom I am engaged at present
        and intend to go back to the coast again this April to marry her and bring her
        back to the Hawaiian Islands to live in
        paradise.”

        So I assume they married in April 1929 in California where Jack Ackers said
        Ruth was from.

        DB's spent the winter of 1939-40 in Hawaii, preparing the "A Night to
        Remember" pageant for the Outdoor Circle, which took place February 1-
        3. No, Scotty was not stage manager or otherwise named in the
        production credits.

        But his name appeared on the program, strange.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
          Bev,

          Who has a copy of the program for "A Night to Remember?" I have the
          newspaper details of the production in February 1939 and Scotty is
          not listed among the credits.

          He was, however, the stage manager for an April 1940 musical program
          for which I do have the program.

          Thanks for all your sleuthing in Arizona -- this is great!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
            Oops.... "A Night to Remember" was produced in February 1940.

            ~~Cadia
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
              I believe Scotty was the stage manager...and Ruth appeared in one of
              the skits.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 19, 2001
                Cadia,

                "A Night to Remember" in February 1940,

                Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in
                the segment "The Merry Tourists."

                Ruth was in the finale, "Parade of Fashions in Flowers," costumed as the Bird
                of Paradise.

                Besides serving as master of ceremonies, Blanding appeared in the
                "Radio Broadcast" segment as announcer Lionel Loudmouth.

                Songs for "A Night to Remember" were written Edwin Sawtelle, Robin
                McQuesten, R. Alexander Anderson and Malcolm Beelby.

                We now know all three were there in Feb. 1940 but apparently only
                Scotty was there in August. I will show this to Jack Ackers in Nov. and see
                if he recalls anyone talking about it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                  Keith,

                  The stage director for "A Night to Remember" in February 1940, as
                  listed, was Claude A. Stiehl.

                  After reading the fine print, I did find that both Scotty and Ruth
                  appeared in the production. Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                    Cadia,

                    My mistake...I was thinking of the Taos Tourist Follies, in which
                    Scotty was the stage manager.

                    Hey everyone...I just bought a curious Blanding item. It's a copy
                    of 'Mostly California' which was once owned by the Hollywood Gossip
                    Columnist Hedda Hopper. It was given to her by the character actress
                    Adeline de Walt Reynolds (1862-1961)...who was a good friend of both
                    Hedda and DB. Adeline inscribed it in the back...Blanding inscribed
                    it in the front. There is also a signed photo of Adeline...and a
                    Hedda Hopper column slipped in the book - a signed photo of Blanding
                    tucked in too.

                    You will remember that "Lady in the Cockeyed Hat" was written for
                    Hedda Hopper. This poem appears on pages 95-97 in TODAY IS HERE.

                    I guess I'll have to search out Hedda's private papers now...could be
                    some correspondence there.