Star-Bulletin 1921, 1939, 1940

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
      Hi, everyone...

      I'm in the midst of reading Honolulu Star-Bulletin microfilm agin
      this week: May 1921, 5 months of 1939 and February 1940.

      May 1921 yielded nothing of interest -- had hoped to see at least a
      passenger list confirming the arrival of Hugh, Ida and Jim Blanding
      in Honolulu. A shipping strike that month meant precious few
      steamers were traveling between the coast and Hawaii. I read all
      published passenger lists and news items -- no Blandings.

      Perhaps they actually arrived in early June 1921?

      February 1940 confirms that Don Blanding sold his Carmel home that
      month -- with the intention of moving permanently back to Hawaii
      following a two-month lecture tour on the mainland. What's
      interesting is that on February 15, the day Blanding was flying by
      Clipper back to California, Dorothy Putnam was arriving by Clipper to
      rejoin a cruise on the Swedish liner Kungsholm. She'd had to leave
      the cruise in Mexico to fly back to Florida for a family emergency.
      Blanding's flight left at 3:30 p.m., the Kungshom departed at 6 p.m.

      Wonder if DB and Dorothy met during the day?? Could this have been
      the chance meeting that turned DB's life in a completely different
      direction?

      The five reels from 1939 contain lots of material about Lei Day and
      DB's several trips to and from Hawaii. He arrived April 19, went to
      Hilo in mid-May to work on Drifter's Gold, and left Honolulu in mid-
      September aboard the Lurline for a two-month lecture tour on the West
      Coast. DB returned to Honolulu on November 22 via Clipper, met at
      Pearl City by Mr. and Mrs. Scott Creager!!

      So now we know that Scotty and Ruth were married sometime between May
      1937 and November 1939. Both were aboard the Malolo on April 29,
      1937, arriving in Honolulu for Lei Day. Did they meet on the ship,
      or did they know each other in California?

      DB's spent the winter of 1939-40 in Hawaii, preparing the "A Night to
      Remember" pageant for the Outdoor Circle, which took place February 1-
      3. No, Scotty was not stage manager or otherwise named in the
      production credits.

      Still have to do a page-by-page, column-by-column reading of May,
      September and November 1939. So off to the library once again this
      afternoon.

      ~~Cadia
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
        Cadia,

        In the May 1921 Star Bulletin keep your eyes open for Aji-No-Moto
        Ads, and any portraits that appear in the society pages. I've found
        several portraits done by Blanding on these pages.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 13, 2001
          Aloha to all,

          What's interesting is that on February 15, the day Blanding was flying by
          Clipper back to California, Dorothy Putnam was arriving by Clipper to
          rejoin a cruise on the Swedish liner Kungsholm. She'd had to leave
          the cruise in Mexico to fly back to Florida for a family emergency.
          Blanding's flight left at 3:30 p.m., the Kungshom departed at 6 p.m.

          Wonder if DB and Dorothy met during the day?? Could this have been
          the chance meeting that turned DB's life in a completely different
          direction?

          And they married on June 13, 1940 during a brief visit to Immokolee, Fa. they
          married. Anyone know Sally Putnam Chapman and can ask her what is in Dorothy’
          s diaries???

          The five reels from 1939 contain lots of material about Lei Day and
          DB's several trips to and from Hawaii. He arrived April 19, went to
          Hilo in mid-May to work on Drifter's Gold, and left Honolulu in mid-
          September aboard the Lurline for a two-month lecture tour on the West
          Coast. DB returned to Honolulu on November 22 via Clipper, met at
          Pearl City by Mr. and Mrs. Scott Creager!!

          So now we know that Scotty and Ruth were married sometime between May
          1937 and November 1939.

          Didn’t Scotty write in that card he sent to himself
          about the Boeing clipper Flight…March 13, 1939:
          “I have now spent two years in the Hawaiian Islands and Like them
          more each day. It was while traveling over here on board the old S.S. Malolo
          that I met Ruth Eleanor Quackenbush to whom I am engaged at present
          and intend to go back to the coast again this April to marry her and bring her
          back to the Hawaiian Islands to live in
          paradise.”

          So I assume they married in April 1929 in California where Jack Ackers said
          Ruth was from.

          DB's spent the winter of 1939-40 in Hawaii, preparing the "A Night to
          Remember" pageant for the Outdoor Circle, which took place February 1-
          3. No, Scotty was not stage manager or otherwise named in the
          production credits.

          But his name appeared on the program, strange.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
            Bev,

            Who has a copy of the program for "A Night to Remember?" I have the
            newspaper details of the production in February 1939 and Scotty is
            not listed among the credits.

            He was, however, the stage manager for an April 1940 musical program
            for which I do have the program.

            Thanks for all your sleuthing in Arizona -- this is great!

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
              Oops.... "A Night to Remember" was produced in February 1940.

              ~~Cadia
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
                I believe Scotty was the stage manager...and Ruth appeared in one of
                the skits.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 19, 2001
                  Cadia,

                  "A Night to Remember" in February 1940,

                  Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in
                  the segment "The Merry Tourists."

                  Ruth was in the finale, "Parade of Fashions in Flowers," costumed as the Bird
                  of Paradise.

                  Besides serving as master of ceremonies, Blanding appeared in the
                  "Radio Broadcast" segment as announcer Lionel Loudmouth.

                  Songs for "A Night to Remember" were written Edwin Sawtelle, Robin
                  McQuesten, R. Alexander Anderson and Malcolm Beelby.

                  We now know all three were there in Feb. 1940 but apparently only
                  Scotty was there in August. I will show this to Jack Ackers in Nov. and see
                  if he recalls anyone talking about it.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                    Keith,

                    The stage director for "A Night to Remember" in February 1940, as
                    listed, was Claude A. Stiehl.

                    After reading the fine print, I did find that both Scotty and Ruth
                    appeared in the production. Scotty was "The Man from Hollywood" in

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 20, 2001
                      Cadia,

                      My mistake...I was thinking of the Taos Tourist Follies, in which
                      Scotty was the stage manager.

                      Hey everyone...I just bought a curious Blanding item. It's a copy
                      of 'Mostly California' which was once owned by the Hollywood Gossip
                      Columnist Hedda Hopper. It was given to her by the character actress
                      Adeline de Walt Reynolds (1862-1961)...who was a good friend of both
                      Hedda and DB. Adeline inscribed it in the back...Blanding inscribed
                      it in the front. There is also a signed photo of Adeline...and a
                      Hedda Hopper column slipped in the book - a signed photo of Blanding
                      tucked in too.

                      You will remember that "Lady in the Cockeyed Hat" was written for
                      Hedda Hopper. This poem appears on pages 95-97 in TODAY IS HERE.

                      I guess I'll have to search out Hedda's private papers now...could be
                      some correspondence there.