Esther& Steffi

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      TJ,

      You haven’t told me what type video camera you have. We will be visiting
      Milo Shepard in 2 weeks and if I am going to start taking videos of people who
      met or knew DB, I better start looking at cameras. I am still working on
      Esther and Steffi.

      Group,

      speaking of Esther and Steffi, I need help getting information to stimulate
      there memory of the Hollywood Night School days. I have gone over what we
      have on file, can anyone tell me more about the program there and the people
      who taught?

      Steffi spoke of a Lloyd Stone. Steffi told me he was a good friend of DB’s in
      the 40’s and that he was a poet in Hawaii. Cadia, have you seen his name?
      You folks in Hawaii, what can you tell us about him. The more we learn, the
      more I have to talk to these ladies about and of course the more they will
      remember.

      Keith found out some about Lloyd Stone:

      1. . Between the SSDI and the Calif. Death Index, I was able to obtain this
      info:
      Lloyd Shelbourne Stone
      b. June 29, 1912 in Calif.
      d. March 9, 1993 in Visalia, Calif. (80 years old)
      His SS# 576-10-6453, which was applied for in Hawaii
      Mother's maiden name: Marr

      2. On World Cat there are quite a few books listed that he wrote. Most of
      them
      were published between the 40s and the 70s.

      3. There were also 37 articles or poems written by him.

      4.

      The Story of

      Poets of the San Joaquin

      Chapter California Federation of Chaparral Poets

      The Poets' Corner Chapter of the California Federation of Chaparral Poets met
      at the McHenry Museum on Sunday, October 24, 1982, at 2:30 pm to receive its
      charter from state president Lloyd Stone. Lawrence Jaffa chaired the meeting.
      Installed as officers were Aileen Jaffa, president; Grace Lieberman, vice
      president; James Shuman, secretary; and Colleen Bare, treasurer.
      TJ. this is where you live, maybe you can find out more about him.

      Any information will help when next I cal Esther and Steffi.

      Bev/

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
        I tried the audio tape before and did not get a good results, maybe I need
        to practice or get a new tape recorder. I’ll bring one along anyway.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
          OK Ok Ok.....(smile).........I have a JVC 320x camera. It is 2 years old now
          and going strong. When purchased (Best Buy Store), I added a second 4 hour
          battery to it so I could always have one battery charged. That is extra of
          course. My camera has a 3 inch LCD display that shows you what you are
          shooting...vs...looking through the eye piece...I liked that feature....when
          you use the LCD it depletes the battery quickly, so be careful in filming. I
          have close up and zoom features, that are fun to use. My camcorder can also
          take still pictures (digital) while you are filming. I have a light for
          those dim areas, but again it depletes the battery quickly, so be cautious
          when you use all the gadgets, or have a big supply of batteries on hand.
          These are special batteries, not flashlight type by the way.
          Total cost 2 years ago was about $900.....not a cheap invention. I have a
          tripod, but for the work I did in Carmel, I needed to pan around and so all
          filming was hand held.
          So, does that help? Those Blanding people are out there and we need to
          get their statements and memories on tape! Go for it.......tj
        • keith2draw@home.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            Bev,

            If Esther doesn't want to be filmed or photographed, another option
            is to tape record an interview. I have a little hand-held audio
            recorder which is very unobtrusive.

            Keith
          • karen Cotter
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
              Good little tape audio recorders are available a lot cheaper than videocams
              although it would be nice to have a picture or two.

              Maybe have someone shoot you two together while you are interviewing
              her....with a camera, I hasten to add! :o)

              Karen C