RE: [aloha-donblanding] video's

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2001
      OK,

      If Esther York says she will let me video her, I guess I should rent the
      same type video machine as you have TJ. If you are thinking of a PBS
      documentary or anything else with the videos put together.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
          Just don't get too fancy with the camcorder as I might not be able to
          operate it! I'm no Luis Fuertes, (Huell Howser's ever-faithful cameraman),
          ha ha! Keep it simple...it would be horrible if I couldn't operate it
          correctly and we wasted our precious visit with Esther with me fumbling with
          the camera and/or ruining the results by incompetency. Hopefully tj, since
          he seems to be knowledgable about these things, could pop in and advise us.
          I have lots of camera rental places around my neighborhood with every level
          of equipment. tj, if you read this..or any of you with camcorder
          knowledge, please advise as to the simplest but best brand to rent. What
          did you use, Bev, and did you like the results?

          Anyway, sounds like fun! Karen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
            ESTHER YORK-BURKHOLDER

            Just talked with Esther York. She is delightful and remembers Don as being a
            “character”, “joking”, “loved to travel, he was not always with us.” She
            seems to be recalling more as we talked and I will call her again next week

            So far she doesn’t want any type pictures of her taken, but I will keep on
            that.

            SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK…..she remembers going but the details are vague. She
            recalls going and staying for a few days
            before she was married and then talks about her husband and she going and
            having the Chaparral group come later to enjoy nature. I told her of the
            picture Edythe had and did she recall it. She thinks Val and Stefi were newly
            married and their last name was Samuelson. I’ll try to reach Marian Samuelson
            in Cathedral City to see if Val had a 1st wife named Stefi.

            Ester has been a member of the Hollywood Chaparral group since the early 40’s,
            before it was federated. She said Edythe brought DB to their group and how
            much they enjoyed his visits.

            She also mentioned that Fred Genee did not go much with their group because he
            was ill. She does not recall what was wrong with him.

            She remembers going to Edythe’s “a couple of times” and being in Don’s apt. I
            will take a copy of the DB apt. party with me. Esther may be able to identify
            someone in that photo.

            Esther did attend the Hollywood Evening School, Julie Baldwin Hazelton was a
            teacher of poetry there. Don also came to the school.

            She may have old photos and things from before her marriage in the garage in
            barrels……how to get into them is a problem. I wonder if her daughter would do
            that for us????????????

            MARIAN SAMUELSON

            This is the 2nd wife of Val Samuelson, an artist and friend of DB in the 40’s.
            Val died 2/2/00 in Cathedral City, Ca.
            Marian and he married in 1960 and of course she never met DB, but she and Val
            talked about him. She thinks they went to a hospital in North Hollywood
            during the War and did charcoal paints for the GI’s there. She is going
            through Val’s things (“he kept everything”) and will keep an eye open for DB
            things. She has been very helpful and gave me Stefi’s number in Idyllwild to
            call. She said Stefi is still a poet to this day and will be able to remember
            and tell me more. Marian wants me to keep in touch and I will.

            STEFI SAMUELSON

            I haven’t made contact yet.

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
              Bev,

              You're wonderful! Sounds like you got alot of information out of
              Esther. Do you have plans to meet her in person?

              The Samuelson leads are interesting too...you never know where they
              may lead to. Maybe other living friends of Blanding.

              Good job,
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
                STEFI SAMUELSON

                Stefi just returned my call and was delighted to know someone is looking for
                DB. As everyone else, she has only good things to say about Don. They all
                met at the Hollywood evening classes and through the Don Blanding Chaparral
                Chapter. Her husband Val did a piece of art for Don’s book……..I think Keith
                mentioned that before.

                Don gave her a piece of his art…..”Satyr” she call it, I think it is the
                Centaur.

                She said Esther and Edythe were his favorite poets in the group and that he
                was very close to both. She was part of the “groupies” that met almost every
                week to read poetry. On the same day and time and frequently at the Roosevelt
                Hotel where Don lived. He loved parties and to go to nature and THE GROUP
                went often to the mountains and the woods. Note: Fred Genee’s ashes are
                spread around a Sequoia somewhere.

                Stefi now has Parkinson’s and osteoporosis and in a wheel chair. We only
                talked for 15 min., as she could no longer hold onto the phone.

                I am to call her again and talk some more.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
                  Karen/Bev: The video recorder is the easiest to operate, basically point and
                  shoot. There is usually a button on the recorder (mine is EP) that stops
                  your shaking when on close ups.....remember that one, its important.....The
                  key to the video is to have some pre-prepared questions as some people get
                  stage fright and forget things. Also, some of the people I interviewed were
                  elderly and did wander a bit or get a bit wordy....all worth while though.
                  Always remember, you can video the whole damn thing over again if you want to
                  and the person will cooperate.......tj