Star-Bulletin - DB - Lei Day 1937

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
      I've been reading Star-Bulletin microfilm from five months in 1937
      and February 1938. An overwhelming amount of material, even more
      than is indexed.

      Not quite finished yet, and have not started transcribing, but here
      are some tidbits:

      DB arrived in Honolulu via Clipper on April 9, 1937, to a
      warm "welcome home" after being away nine years. He'd planned to
      sail later but changed his mind and was booked as a last-minute
      passenger (one of five). His schedule of speaking engagements began
      immediately.

      On April 29, the Malolo arrived with several passengers of interest:
      Spencer Tracy, Scotty Creager, Ruth E. Quackenbush and Granny Harris!

      On May 1, the Lei Day edition of the Star-Bulletin features a front-
      page article with photos; a large one of DB, of course, and half a
      dozen others, including one of Scotty described as "a pal of Don
      Blanding's."

      There are several articles about Granny Harris, including a photo of
      DB welcoming her at the pier. Granny left Honolulu on May 15; Scotty
      was scheduled to be there "a few weeks" but I have not yet found him
      on an outbound passenger list.

      DB spent the summer in Hilo, finishing The Rest of the Road for fall
      publication. In August, one of his guests was stage actress Helen
      Ware. He returned to the mainland in late September to begin an
      October-May lecture tour.

      Reading this batch of microfilm has been fascinating. The wealth of
      information about DB is wonderful, but reading the news stories of
      the spring and summer of 1937 is like being in a time warp. Major
      stories include the coronation of King George VI, the pending
      marriage of the Duke of Windsor and Mrs. Simpson, the crash of the
      Hindenberg, the war in China, and perhaps most interesting, more than
      two weeks' coverage of the search for Amelia Earhart.

      ~~Cadia
    • karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
        Sounds like fun, Cadia! Don't forget to look for the "Beachwalk Girl"
        columns...that was my aunt; and in April 1937, little Karen was just a "bun
        in the oven".. Ha ha.
      • BearShado@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
          In a message dated 8/27/01 3:03:39 AM, duchess@... writes:

          << I've been reading Star-Bulletin microfilm from five months in 1937
          and February 1938. An overwhelming amount of material >>

          What depths you folks are going to in your search for the full expression of
          this man. Thank YOU for the opportunity to see real research in action, and
          to comprehend a deeper calling. Are you reading this microfilm IN Honolulu,
          or are you somehow accessing it on the WWW?

          If it's web work, I'd like to go there too. Thanks, Shad O'
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
            I wish I were reading film in Honolulu! On the internet -- no.
            Microfilm is exactly that -- reels of film that must be threaded into
            a film reader at the library. In my case, Seattle.

            I obtain 6 reels at a time via interlibrary loan, based upon an index
            of the Star-Bulletin for the keyword "Blanding." But I've found that
            there's a lot of material that is not on the list; so I read the
            images inch by inch, column by column, page by page. Sometimes
            several editions of a day's paper, since stories sometimes appear in
            later editions.

            I'm just home from 2 hours at the library after work, having covered
            August 20 through September 10, 1937. That's faster than usual
            because there really wasn't much Blanding-related material and not
            much of other interest except the Sino-Japanese war. When I get
            sidetracked, the pace is much slower!

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
              Karen,

              Was your aunt Annabel Lee, originally from Seattle? Or a different
              columnist? I do recall seeing something about "beachwalk" but did
              not make the connection.

              ~~Cadia
            • curt blanding
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
                Cadia,

                Anytime you want to come visit Honolulu, my wife and I would be happy to
                provide accommodations in Kailua. We are about 1 block from "The Bus"
                which will take you over to Honolulu in about a half hour ($1.50). We have
                a guest room with a twin size bed and we enjoy having occasional vistors.

                Curt Blanding

                Also,
                everyone else!

                If anyone wants a 12"x18" print of one of my "In An Old Hawaiian Gardens"
                posters, I'd be willing to print one on my new Epson 1270 printer which has
                "archival" type inks. They claim that, with reasonable care, the prints
                will last for 25 years! I would request and optional "donation" of $20 to
                cover my paper and ink expenses (you can wait until you receive the print
                if you want to be sure it's worth $20). And, yes, it really is
                optional! If you want one and can't afford it, I'll send you one for free
                (at least for the first few such people). If you'd like one, please let me
                know right away because I'm going out of town in 2 weeks. I can probably
                accommodate at least 15 or 20 requests.
                If you'd like to see them, they are on my recently revised website at:

                http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don-blanding//In_An_Old_Hawaiian_Garden_web_album/

                or you can just start at

                http://www.blanding.org

                and navigate your way there.

                Curt
              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
                  Hello Curt

                  I some how hadn't realized you were living in Kailua. Nice to hear from you
                  online

                  Hope all is well with you. What size can you print on your printer max?

                  aloha
                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 28, 2001
                    Curt...tj would want prints and will pay for them....a full set though??? I
                    have friends who absolutely go ga-ga over the prints you made for the Carmel
                    show....the bird of paradise is especially popular....Can the prints be made
                    in smaller size, like 8x12 or 10x14 or some similar smaller size?