RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: DB & crippled boy

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19 9:39 PM
      Do we know the name of the station and what it’s name is today? I’ll give
      them a call if we can determine who they are.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20 10:27 AM
        Talk of Blanding on radio programs stimulates a very fuzzy memory.

        It seems as though I remember reading somewhere that an adolescent, crippled
        boy established contact with him through one of these programs in the Los
        Angeles area, and Don either went to see him or sent him things from the
        Islands. I have the notion that this was an ongoing thing occupying
        listeners for several weeks or months, but did not have a happy ending due
        to the boy’s untimely demise.

        Will anyone fill in the numerous blanks here and bring this fuzziness into
        focus?

        Please forgive if I am bringing up a matter previously covered, however I
        don't remember the story from this group. But, if this is new to you all
        too, perhaps it would be a fruitful and memorable line of inquiry. It would
        make a heart-warming episode for your projected biography, Keith. -- John
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20 6:22 PM
          John: Read the Spun Glass Ship and you will see what you're referring
          to....tj
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20 9:30 PM
            John,

            "The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship" -- and its story, which is
            supposed to be true -- appears in The Rest of the Road. So sometime
            prior to 1937, DB was hosting a Los Angeles radio program.

            The question is, when, where and do any transcriptions survive?

            Anybody up for some sleuthing?

            ~~Cadia
          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
              John, and everyone else.

              I read an interview today in which Blanding stated that the incident
              with the crippled boy which was the basis of "The Spun Glass Ship"
              happened 12 years before he wrote it, and occured in the Los Angeles
              area.

              He wrote the poem in 1937, and we know he lived in LA for a while in
              1926...so maybe it happened then.