Just Arrived and Fascinated

  • BearShado@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2001
      Hey there folks, My name is Shad O'Hayes and I've only realized that the Don
      Blanding on the back of my favorite dinner plate and the Don Blanding of
      Drifter's Gold are one and the same. AND, that there's a world of other folks
      who appreciate this incredibly insightful man's writings, etc. I've only been
      introduced to his poetry, but as I sat and devoured Drifter's Gold last
      evening, I felt as if I was reading my life story in synopsis. Our travels to
      many of the same places, our views on life and spirituality. It is So
      wonderfully validating to find myself, in the life of one who has gone before
      me. He passed on when I was 12, and now at 56 I'm finding the joys of life as
      he expressed them, to be so much like the way I look at life that I'm
      wondering all about reincarnation and the energy that we humans seemingly
      share as we pass through this mortal existence. Just as a way of sharing a
      smile, let me offer one of my poems that has a similar meter and attitude as
      some I've read of his.

      TOO MUCH FUN

      Too much fun, I'm havin' more than I should have,
      Cause what if my tomorrow is slower and a drag?
      It may seem like depression, and give me pause to dwell
      'Pon all the things I've left undone and ponderings of Hell.

      Yet here I am upon the beach, with sand and salty spray,
      Thinking how I've needed this, I've been too long away.
      The gulls are laughing in the breeze, my dog is soaking wet,
      And I am smiling in my sloth, I won't be going yet.

      And other sun-kissed bodies are floating here and there.
      They each have their agendas, and probly couldn't care.
      Perhaps they're laughing in the sun and looking back at me,
      And thanking God they're not obsessed with writing poetry.
      April 1st, 1994
      Shad O'Hayes

      Thanks. Nice to be here in a group who appreciate the world through the eyes
      of one so appreciative of his blessings in life.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2001
        Thanks, Shad, for joining our group and for sharing your delightful
        poem. Yes, Don Blanding would have approved!

        We always enjoy stories about how each of us "discovered" Don
        Blanding and what influence he may have had on our lives.

        If anyone had told me even 10 years ago that I would be shepherding a
        group of Blanding fans in cyberspace -- scattered from Australia to
        Egypt, from California to Quebec -- I'd have thought they were
        crazy. In so many ways, this connection via the internet is
        similar to that of people who heard Don Blanding's radio broadcasts,
        attended his lectures, or became one of his thousands of
        correspondents. I'm sure there are more than a few of us here who
        remember sitting around to "watch" the radio as it communicated
        entertainment and news of the world. The internet has the same hold
        on us...

        And I think Don Blanding would approve of that, too!