RE: [aloha-donblanding] DB reading his own poetry

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2001
      Cadia,

      Why the HAWAII calls programs? Did Don speak on them?

      Can we get copies of the tape of Don BlandingÂ’s EP from someone in the
      group?

    • Jakable@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2001
        While it is true that Don Blanding's reading of his own poetry lacks some
        spark, I was gratified just too hear his voice and get some measure of the
        man that way.
        I suspect, as is often the case, his readings earlier in his life were better
        and more lively. The further away a writer gets from his work, the harder it
        is to recapture the nuances and the creative spark.
        I, for one, am just happy to have hear his voice.
        His earlier poetry is his best and most interesting to me as I have Hawaii
        connections.
        His drawings are ever fascinating as well.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2001
          I feel the same way. Years ago, when I first heard a cassette tape
          of Don Blanding reading his own poetry, it was such a joy to hear his
          voice. By that time, I'd read and enjoyed DB's work for nearly 30
          years and could only imagine his voice. Sure I was disappointed that
          he didn't sound like Dave Ballard -- who could? But hearing Blanding
          speak added the missing dimension that was driving me nuts!

          The cassette, by the way, is 6 poems from an EP, a 45 rpm short
          version of the 12-poem album. Has anyone ever come across this EP
          version, other than Sage, who sent the tape to me (in 1989 I
          believe)? Various 78 rpm sets and 33 rpm albums show up, but the EP
          seems quite scarce.

          By the way, I now have a cassette copy of a 1946 radio interview with
          Don Blanding and an artist named, I think, Elaine Calhoun. The
          quality is not great -- it was made from transcriptions and the
          rumbling sound of the equipment is evident -- but I'll be able to do
          a written transcription. Keith is going to try to duplicate the 15-
          minute program as well.

          While the "interview" is scripted -- remember this was radio, live
          and transcribed, and it had to fit into exactly 15 minutes, no
          editing possible! -- I think Blanding's voice comes across much
          better than when he recorded for Tempo.

          My feeling is that Blanding was an excellent extemporaneous speaker
          but that sitting in front of a microphone with a script was somewhat
          intimidating. I used to help audition announcers and other radio
          talent and saw this phenomenon many times!

          Now if we could just find some of those "Hawaii Calls" transcriptions!