Dunites and TJ

  • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11 12:09 PM
      Good morning Blandingites.
      I got back to town earlier than expected
      and have spent an interesting hour catching
      up on the doing's of the Blanding collectors.
      Some interesting, and predictable, turn of events.

      My musings on the Dunites have obviously
      created interest in the group.
      That was intentional :.)
      Likewise my revealing Blanding's Canadian
      World War 1 service, and getting rid
      of the ridiculous Bird of Paradise myth.
      Somehow I think this group will eventually turn
      up the data I am looking for. I'm a patient dude.

      TJ since you asked what I know about the
      Dunites, I'll comment.
      My most capable associate researched all
      available collections in the area in 1990
      and 1992. We bought Norm Hammond's book around
      1992. It's no Rosetta Stone, but helpful nontheless.
      I intend to encourage him to put out a second
      addition. He should be encouraged to join this
      group as he is a published authority.

      The largest collection of Dunite material readily
      accessible to the public is the St. Luis Obispo
      County Historical Society. The Director in 1992,
      was super helpful, and I don't doubt that they've
      added to their collections since then. I don't
      recall if they have a complete set of DUNE FORUM
      but they have some issues. The Forum was illustrated
      with B&W line drawings. I wasn't interested in
      Blanding at all in 1992 so you will have to make
      the proper survey. Let us know what you find.

      As an aside only... off topic: R.E. Jack was a
      land developer in Oceano in the 1890s. His goal was
      to turn Ocean into "the Atlantic City of the West".
      If the SLOCHS has a photo of Jack please let me know.

      Cheers. Ron Jack in B.C.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11 7:15 PM
        The subject of the Dunites is somewhat off-topic, since this
        discussion group centers on Don Blanding. If there is any
        connection, that's OK, but so far I don't really see any.

        Perhaps the Dunites discussion could continue privately (there's a
        members list of e-mail addresses) so that those who are specifically
        interested in Don Blanding will not be burdened with e-mail. If and
        when a DB connection is established, the information could then be
        shared with the group.

        Ron, the Bird of Paradise is no myth. The play was presented on
        numerous occasions in Kansas City. In November 1916 the star was not
        Lenore Ulrich but the production dates coincide perfectly with DB's
        probable arrival in Kansas City en route home from Canada to
        Oklahoma. It is entirely plausible that within a week of seeing the
        play, he was on his way to San Francisco to board a steamer to
        Hawaii. His arrival in Honolulu "three days before Christmas" 1916
        fits the timeline.

        I have uploaded Blanding's CEF attestation paper in Files: Genealogy:
        Blanding. Ron, do you have the complete Canadian military records for
        DB? Or should we order directly from the Canadian archives?

        Thanks,

        ~~Cadia
      • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12 7:51 AM

          > I have uploaded Blanding's CEF attestation paper in Files:
          Genealogy:
          > Blanding. Ron, do you have the complete Canadian military records
          for
          > DB? Or should we order directly from the Canadian archives?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > ~~Cadia

          I had offered (here) to send copies at cost to those
          who wanted it. But since you and Keith are determined
          to go directly to source, be my guest. Canada needs
          your hard currency. :.) I purchased the DB file in 1997 for
          another project, still active. I also have Capt. Allenback's
          file on order,ostensibly for Keith's use... to enhance what he
          is getting from Allenback's grand daughter. You can see Allenback's
          ATTESTATION form on the CEF website. The reason the CEF website
          doesn't have complete A - Z coverage, was that it started out
          as a government funded project for high school students - to
          scan the images and build an image archive. Funding is spasmodic
          and now archives staff feel the responsibility to finish what has
          been started. The idea is to reduce the volume of requests from
          genealogists, as often the ATTESTATION is the only interesting
          document in a privates file. Officers had more robust files.
          But my Allenback file request was premature as Keith has opted to
          research it himself. He and I have corresponded privately.
          Cadia, could you also post something from DBs US army service file?
          Keith say's several of you have the file. DBs records from
          the Art Institute in Chicago would also make a great illustration
          on Keith's site.

          Of all the documentation I am interested to read, I think
          the most juicy should be the report of the Coroners Jury
          looking into the death of Scotty in Honolulu. Perhaps one
          of Keiths sources could dig that up?

          Cheers. The Quiet Canadian
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12 11:57 AM
            Ron,

            I was just trying to clarify what document(s) you have regarding DB's
            Canadian military career. It was not clear to me from your original
            message. Getting a copy of the records from you likely would be
            faster than placing a request with the Canadian government.

            What we do in this group is locate a document, then one member
            obtains it and provides photocopies to other members on request. For
            extensive documents we request reimbursement; other times we just
            swap batches of material. For short items such as newspaper
            articles, it's often easier to transcribe and post the material so
            that everyone has access.

            I think the information on Mr. Allenback may be helpful; perhaps they
            knew each other in the States?. My theory is that DB joined the CEF
            because two or three American friends were doing so. Another
            adventure, so to speak. But, for DB at least, swearing allegiance to
            the King and going overseas for combat probably was taking the
            adventure a bit too far!

            Obtaining documents on Scotty Creager's death in Honolulu may not be
            possible. Hawaii restricts access to vital records. I also doubt
            there was an inquest. However, that will not stop me from trying!

            ~~Cadia
          • karen Cotter
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12 11:58 AM
              Hi Ron! Karen Cotter here...I just told tj I walked in the door a short
              time ago. I was up on the central coast of CA for 4 days. I stopped in San
              Luis Obispo at the Historical Society this morning to see if they were open
              on Sundays, and sadly they are not. I also stopped last Friday in Pismo,
              Arroyo Grande and the towns of Oceano, Shell Beach and (I'm drawing a blank
              here) the fifth town, all of which are known as the "Five Cities" and are
              just a continuous string along the central coastline of CA. They used to be
              individual and quaint little towns but now are homogenized post 1980 stucco
              and red tile roofed CA ticky tacky. The town elders have long died off and
              with the HS building closed, I came away no smarter than before. However, I
              go up there a lot, so will make it a point to go on Tues. - Fri. in Sept. so
              I can have the undivided attention or whomever is manning the helm.
              Whatever's been added to the records at the HS, especially post 1992, I
              shall report!

              Oceano has been engulfed by the developers and is indistinguishable from the
              others.
              The only point of interest there for me as a child was a lonely huge old
              victorian home which sat in splendor amongs tiny seaside shacks. Sometime
              in the late 50's when it was close to wrack and ruin, the owner of the
              property used it as a place from which to sell motor homes so the first
              story of the house was invisible being surrounded by them. I think due to
              the upscaling of the entire
              area (hard to sell million dollar homes with that mess close by)
              the mobile homes were gotten rid of and the old Victorian home painted
              white. It is still a mess and clearly vacant but is there, the only large
              home of its type in the "Five Cities". I shall find out about it during my
              next trip. As for Mr. Jack, if he is the one prominent in Monterey County
              history (i.e. Jack's Peak in the Carmel area) he was a prominent land owner
              up there in the early days and not a very nice person. Hard nosed and
              contentious! I will check that out, too.

              Karen
            • karen Cotter
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12 12:20 PM
                Sorry Cadia...guilty as charged. I shan't post anything other than DB
                material in future. I just posted a long one and I apologize. I just got
                home and read your message...no more digressions from me except strictly Don
                Blanding references.

                Karen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12 6:51 PM
                  Obtaining documents on Scotty Creager's death in Honolulu may not be
                  possible. Hawaii restricts access to vital records. I also doubt
                  there was an inquest. However, that will not stop me from trying!

                  ~~Cadia

                  Cadia,

                  You have reminded me that I have not heard back from CUNNINGHAM & O’CONNOR
                  MORTUARY, who buried Scotty in Los Angeles. I requested details back in July.
                  I follow up on that.