Re: [aloha-donblanding] Dunites and Theosophists

  • karen Cotter
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2001
      I found one of the Blanding books stuffed in my bookcase that I had not
      thoroughly read before - now that we are really trying to understand his
      philosophy so deeply I am paying more attention. Unfortunately I left the
      book in my other house and don't have it here...but in it he is struggling
      to explain his new spiritual outlook...I do believe he used the words
      "Science of Mind" which is another religion born and bred here in CA. We
      had a million of 'em in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and even to the present.
      tj, I think it is very possible DB would have had contact with the Dunites;
      Pismo and environs are just a couple hour's drive from Carmel you know and I
      have been up and down and up and down that stretch myself all of my life.
      The Dunites were a little before my time but interestingly, there is a
      Halcyon offramp from the freeway between Pismo Beach and Arroyo Grande; I'll
      bet referring to whatever encampment they had way back then. The entire
      area is very modern, most little homes bulldozed away for the sea of
      never-ending stucco with tile roofed two story junk homes. Unless one went
      to a local historical society I doubt you would find anyone who would know
      anything. I find in most towns in which I stop to snoop, no one has lived
      there more than "two weeks". as in "I dunno, I've only lived here two
      weeks". LOL

      Monday I will be coming down from Carmel and will leave early and do some
      sleuthing. If I read that book correctly he was uplifted by the feeling he
      was one with the Universe, the Cosmos and struggled to impart that feeling
      to his audience, and eschewed the trappings of mainstream churches. My
      take on this only.
      Karen
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2001
        tj isn't sure that DB had such direct contact with the Dunites, but, they
        might have been an influence of the times...We really didn't note the
        influence of the Beat Generation on our literary efforts until after they
        were gone........they are still here today in other forms and I think DB is
        another form, an influence, a seed for the times. When you read DB's poetry
        through the era's, he becomes more introspective, more spiritual, more
        searching of himself, looking for his own meaning, his self in this world.
        Perhaps the Dunites of the 30's were not a direct influence on him but in the
        literary culture, who knows what might be possible. The Dunites need more
        exploration as to their existence and influence of that era....If anything,
        it makes for interestig story!.............tj
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2001
          I agree with you tj.