Last Wheeze on Dunites

  • doggydan@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7 11:31 PM
      If Huell Howser did a segment on the Dunites, a video is available
      for around $20.00. I've purchased several of his TV half-hour
      segments and they are always excellent. I missed this one, but if
      anyone wants the address to which to write to obtain a copy of the
      Dunite segment, I will be happy to post it.

      As for the Dunes themselves, they are a wonderful feature of our
      central California coastline and the subject of a terrific battle
      between preservationists and the ORV folks and developers. The
      section of coastline between approximately Morro Bay and Vandenburg
      Air Force Base and is partially protected as wetlands, partially open
      to dune buggies and so on and partially owned by private owners.
      The jurisdictions fall between the BLM, the Dept. of the Interior,
      Marine sanctuaries and so on so the dunes are pretty well "civilized"
      and protected at this time.

      Since I haven't seen Huell Howser's "California's Gold" segment, I
      cannot state this as a given, but I would be astounded if there were
      any Dunites still in residence as these dunes are crowded with
      hikers, botanists, biologists, recreationists and so on most of the
      year. Of course, there may be remnants of the shacks. As a matter of
      fact, I was at the dunes myself a couple of weeks ago with a kayaking
      group between Morro Bay and Pismo Beach (of historical but long gone
      Pismo Clam fame) and the only activity I saw was in designated ORV
      areas and designated camping sites.

      In DB's time, California was rife with different cults, religions,
      philosophical societies and such and still is, but no longer can they
      set up camp with impunity in the wilds. Ain't hardly no wilds left!

      Enough about that..and now, ladies and gentlemen, back to Don
      Blanding!
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8 6:01 PM
        tj would want all info on the Dunites...this sounds too too interesting to
        pass up. If video's exist, tj will buy them...So, how far down the coast did
        they go? I look a the more isolated area's like Inverness and just wonder
        what existed in those days when DB stalked and talked.....tj