Re: [aloha-donblanding] Digest Number 356

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
      So Jake, where would the Dunites be located? Is that known or are they still
      about? tj
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
        So, out of the Dunites, comes some connection to DB???? Ron has mentioned
        this as possibility, but, does anyone have more leads/info on this? Sounds
        very interesting...tj
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2001
          Clare: Do you know more than you are putting out about the Dunites? tj is
          really intested in this connection and would like more leads and info. I've
          communicated with Hammond and he has no memory or knowledge of DB associating
          or publishing with them. Is there more to the story??? tj
        • Clare Telford
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2001
            Hi,
            We moved to the area about a year ago and I too have
            been most interested in this. As yet have been unable
            to uncover any connection but have been seeking out
            copies of the publication noted in my email that was
            put out by Gavin Arthur from his center for
            intellectual and spiritual discovery at Moy Mell, the
            settlement in the Dunes at Oceano. I have had no luck
            in this regard. I do not believe there are now any
            known survivors of the Dunites of Oceano so asking
            questions of anyone who actually lived there is not
            possible.
            Something interesting which I have not had time to
            follow up on is a possible connection with the "United
            Lodge of Theosophists" and which began in 1909 by H.P.
            Blavatsky and William Q. Judge, which flourished in
            the region at the same time and proximity as the
            Dunites.
            Theosophy concerned itself with the truer
            realization of the SELF making for a more profound
            conviction of Universal Brotherhood. There is a
            Temple of the People still existing in Halycon - a
            "church" and small settlement not far from the dunes.
            The Guardian in Chief of the Temple is one Eleanor L.
            Shumway (templeofthepeople@...). I had
            previously inquired of her what connection they may
            have had with the Dunites of Oceano and she stated the
            following:
            "Our connection with the Dunites was informal. As
            people with similar views on spirituality and the
            interdependence of all life, there was to-ing and
            fro-ing between the communities, with discussion
            groups, music, visiting and Temple service
            attendance."
            I had wanted to follow up on this in relation to
            Blanding because the whole tenor of the settlement and
            that of the Dunites seemed very much in line with what
            I consider his philosphy to have been. You may wish
            to inquire there as to any connection. If I had the
            free time to do it, I would have pursued this further
            but other "life" has interfered. If you want to follow
            up on this, I wish you luck and will be anxious to
            hear any further information. Clare.

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/