Glendale Library

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
      Wow Ron,

      Wish my research at the Glendale Library Sat. had as much to offer as you
      just old us. Great Job.

      Keith,

      Looked up Nell Martin in the Glendale Press obits. The only Miss Nell
      Davies Martin, I found, died March,19, 1968. At age 77 (right age), in a LA
      hospital. She was born in Ohio and lived 21 years in Glendale. She had a
      sister Elizabeth Yount of Pennsylvania and 2 nephews.

      The research library has the following books for Reference only:
      1. Listen! the Night, The Poets’ Workshop, 1947-1948 with Illustrations by DB.
      Cover, repeat of cover and 2 other drawings I
      have seen before.
      2. Dusk Holds The Nightingale, The Poets’ Workshop, 1948-1949 with decorations
      by DB. Dedicated to Julia Baldwin Hazelton. This has 6 pieces of Don’s art I
      have seen before in his books.
      3. Singing Shadows, The Poets’ Workshop, 1949-1950 with decorations by DB.
      Again new drawing to me. Cover, repeat of cover and 4 others on the inside.
      4. Evening Is a Window, The Poets Workshop, 1950-1951 with a cover by DB. I
      had never seen this one before, it looks like one is looking out a window
      with a double candle holder at the stars and tree outside. Dedicated to
      Herman C. Joy on his retirement as principal. All printed by The Cloister
      Press of Hollywood.
      5. The Velvet Years, 1961, by Stella Isenhower Flewellon with 8 of DB’s
      drawings.
      6. A Laugh A Day, 1962, by Robert Carlson Sherwood with 9 of Don’s drawings.
      7. Haiku and Tanka, 1963, with illustrations by DB and Edythe Hope Genee. 10
      by Don.
      8. Haiku and Tanks, 1964, with illustrations by DB and Edythe Hope Genee. 5
      are suppose to be Don’s, but I wonder.

    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
        Aloha Blandingites, from newcomer Ron Jack.
        I have dug into my research and can today fill in some
        important pieces of the puzzle. Keith, a few month back
        I think you found a DB column in Florida which hinted at
        the possibility of Blanding having served in the Canadian
        military. I wasn't with this research/collector then. I
        didn't even know of it until last Friday.

        Donald Benson Blanding did serve in a Canadian Battalion in World
        War 1. He enlisted on January 11, 1916 and was "Struck off
        Strength", or returned to civilian life on September 15, 1916.
        His unit was the 97th Bn. Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.)
        It was not a "fighting" battalion. It was used to recruit and
        train men. It did go overseas but was broken up for replacements
        to the battalions in the line.

        In another life I was publisher and editor of a journal called
        CANADIAN MILITARY BIOGRAPHY, and so I have copy sets of many
        interesting military personnel files. From a military history
        viewpoint DBs file is useless. But I knew who he was years ago, and
        purchased it out of curiosity.

        Since then of course I continued watching for the name as I have
        researched some of the artists communities, and "characters" from
        California to Idaho, especially Dashiell Hammett's circle. (Many
        Canadians are gagga over Hammett.) I am still trying to tie DB in
        Carmel, to the Dunites hamlet up the coast. Frustrating!

        Anyway, Keith has come closest to a Canadian lead, so hear let me
        light his secondary rocket motor.
        1) DB enlisted and took the oath in Windsor, Ontario (across from
        Detroit) on January 11, 1916.
        2) He provided this DOB: Born Kingfisher, OK, November 7, 1893
        Age 22.
        3) He gave Chicago as his current hometown, but no address.
        He gave his Trade or Calling as "Artist".
        4) His Medical shows he was quite fit.
        5) He gave as his next of kin, his motherand father in Lawton, OK
        AND! his "Fiancee" "Miss Majel G. Claflin, Eaton Rapids,
        Michigan."
        6) What is interesting to me is that NO REASON is given for why
        he mustered out in September 1816.

        Thousands of Americans came up to Canada during 1914- 1917
        to join the C.E.F. Some deserted before having to board a
        ship to Europe. Some used the rules and purchased their release.
        And of course some were kicked out for crimes or misconduct.
        But in every case their file says why. Did they just let Blanding
        out and fail to record it? Or did he desert? I am working on it.

        The reasons you have seen some reference to Nova Scotia and Quebec
        is because of troop movements. The battalion finally mustered at
        Camp Aldershot, Nova Scotia - and sailed on September 16, 1916.

        7) Blanding left the 97th Bn. three days before it sailed overseas.
        After nine months of military service.
        It wasn't because he was afraid of water. He soon fled to a new
        life in Hawaii. I have official files on two other American's in
        the 97th who deserted. I have been keenly looking for photos of DB
        and
        others in C.E.F. uniform. I have a pretty good idea they were
        acquaintances of DBs. Many Americans who deserted the Canadian or
        British armies later redeemed themselves by joining the Doughboys in
        1917 when America entered the war. Perhaps DB was one of those?

        That's all for now. Ron Jack, Burnaby,BC
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
          Ron Jack...you're a genius!

          I've been wondering about the Canadian Army connection for awhile.
          When we first saw the mention in that article awhile back, we thought
          it was a missprint or something, because there was no proof of his
          serving in the Canadian military.

          But a month or so ago I met someone who brought up the connection
          again:

          "I have an original, signed, sketch that Don Blanding drew of my
          grandfather. My grandfather met Mr. Blanding when he was in Europe
          with the Royal Canadian Army and provided the sketch and a letter to
          my aunt. My aunt lost the letter, but I still have the original
          sketch which my aunt had given my father."

          "In addition to the signed hand sketch, there is another one in our
          possession, pastel, which my father had laminated. I found all this
          stuff when cleaning out my mother's house after her death in 1998.
          My dad died in 1978, but my parents were pack-rats and there was some
          old, valuable, sentimental stuff that I found, saved and threw
          together to sort out later. My grandfather did serve in the RCA in
          the first World War and to the best of my knowledge Don Blanding was
          serving, too. That's where they met. My family were living in Camden,
          NJ when my grandfather went up to Canada to join. I found his
          original RCA commissioned paperwork, RCA lapel pins, and small bible
          or missive which he enscribed while he served in Europe."

          Ron...I always figured that if he did join, it would have been after
          his U.S. service in 1917-18. I never imagined it could have been
          BEFORE he went to Hawaii...go figure.

          If he never made it to Europe with the Canadian Army, the two
          gentlemen must have met in Canada...and his granddaughter just
          assumed it was in europe that they met.

          I did guess right about Majel Claflin. I think they dated at the Art
          Institute. I still can't seem to find out anything else about her,
          other than her family was from Eaton Rapids, Michigan. She apparently
          has a few pieces at the National Gallery of Art.

          Great Stuff!

          ~~Keith
        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
            Keith: Re Majel Claflin....The Library of Congress has a database of
            American artists (a bit dated but quite extensive). You might be able to
            access her paintings and their locations through their website.

            Nelson

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
              O.K. Ron,

              I've appended the timeline on my website thus:

              1916
              01/11 Enlisted with the Canadian Army in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
              03/11 Hugh and Ida Blanding sell their land in Lawton, Oklahoma.
              03/25 Was enrolled in a class at the Art Institute taught by Czech
              artist Antonin Sterba, but did not attend.
              00/00 Travelling with the Canadian Army through Nova Scotia and
              Quebec.
              09/15 Was "Struck off Strength" from the Canadian Army.
              Returned to civilian life.
              11/00 Sees the play 'Bird of Paradise' in Kansas City.
              12/23 Arrives in Hawaii "with five dollars in his pocket."

              We can finally say (without a doubt) that he arrived in Hawaii in
              1916. I'm all smiles!

              ~~ Keith
            • karen Cotter
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                I am awestruck at the minutiae that has been assembled by one and all....of
                course, there are a handful that have done 90% of the research, but every
                link strengthens the chain. I think this is a truly remarkable effort,
                especially given the "vagabond" existence of our subject, Mr. Blanding.
                Extraordinary and a kudos to all!

                One of these days, if I ever alight from running about saving the
                environment, I might just get myself down to Vernon, CA and pick around in
                re: more statistics on the pottery. Although I think Bev and Keith have done
                yeoman's work already on that.

                I have a feeling there are a few more dregs there to be scraped up!

                Karen Cotter Kittykowkow
              • keith2draw@home.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                  Linda and Karen have pointed out in the last hour that Majel Claflin
                  has a lengthly page devoted to her on the National Gallery of Art
                  website.

                  I came across this reference last year when I was doing a
                  standard 'search engine' search for friends of Blanding...but did not
                  delve too deeply at the time, because I didn't feel she was that
                  important to the 'case.'

                  But now that we know that she was likely a fiance of Donald's, I will
                  look into it further. The webpage seems to have use the source of the
                  Index of American Design...which my place of work has a copy of. I'll
                  check into it tomorrow to see if there is any biographical info
                  therein.

                  I think we should also contact a local library in Eaton Rapids to see
                  if there is any trace of her there.

                  Nelson...the Library of Congress is a good lead as well.

                  ~~ Keith
                • Michael Brookman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Wow! Exciting stuff, Ron. Thanks! I don't know where I heard it, maybe from
                    one of the group, but I heard DB was an officer in the AEF in WW1 and an
                    enlisted man in the USN in WWII. This Canadian connection is something!
                    michael

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Just a quick note. I went to the California Pottery exhibit at the SF Museum
                      of Modern Art in July. The had Vernon Kilns examples. No DB. I glanced
                      through the hard bound book about the exhibit and found, no DB! I looked him
                      up in the index and went to the referenced page. VERY disappointing. The
                      author(s) had nothing good to say about him and virtually called him
                      self-serving and pretentious. I didn't care for the tone at all. I'm of the
                      belief that he was one of the major money makers for the firm and provided
                      some of their best designs. I don't understand the snobbish attitude in the
                      program about his work. michael

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                        Ron,

                        Thank you, thank you, thank you, for filling in the pivotal year of
                        1916! In DB's books, the reference to stopping in Kansas City, and
                        seeing The Bird of Paradise, includes the notation that HE WAS ON HIS
                        WAY HOME FROM CANADA. Somewhere in all the notes we've accumulated,
                        there's also a mention that DB served in Canada prior to the entry of
                        the US into WWI in 1917. What is the exact source of your
                        information?

                        DB was commissioned a lieutenant at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii,
                        August 26, 1918, following about 6 months training. He arrived at
                        Camp Grant (Rockford, IL) in early October 1918; the war was over
                        before his group could be sent overseas.

                        In 1942, DB enlisted in the U.S. Army again, serving for about 11
                        months at Camp Upton on Long Island, where many celebrities also
                        served. His book, Pilot Bails Out, came of this experience. DB
                        spent the rest of the war in California. He returned to Hawaii in
                        1951 for the first time since 1940.

                        ~~Cadia
                      • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                          Ron Jack notes:

                          >>What is interesting to me is that NO REASON is given for why he mustered
                          out [of the Canadian Army] in September [1916]. <<

                          What record would have been created if it had been found out that he was gay?
                          Would he have been given a medical discharge? Do you have any information as
                          to how the Canadian Army was accustomed to deal with this rather common
                          problem in 1916?

                          Bob Richmond
                          Knoxville TN
                        • karen Cotter
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                            A couple of us speculated about that. I would think it would have been
                            designated medical, if anything, in those days. Or maybe in Canada it
                            wasn't the big deal it would have been here...the UK has always been more
                            sophisticated in that regard. Just a discreet nothing.

                            Kittykowkow
                          • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., Bev Leinbach <bevbach@p...> wrote:
                              > Wow Ron,
                              >
                              > Wish my research at the Glendale Library Sat. had as much to offer
                              as you
                              > just old us. Great Job.

                              Bev... I just want to keep up with the rest of you!
                              I hope to consult with you, if you'll allow... making
                              comments or suggestions on things you have covered
                              before I joined the group last Friday. Nell Martin is a
                              prime example. Anyone who was slandered by Lillian Hellman
                              is someone for us to cherish.

                              Be in touch. I enjoy reading your posts to the DBCS.
                              Best wishes. Ron Jack in Burnaby, BC
                            • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                                --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
                                > But a month or so ago I met someone who brought up the connection
                                > again:

                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Yes Keith, I emailed Bonnie (Grand daughter) last week, but she
                                hasn't answered me. Too bad because I could tell her alot.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                > "I have an original, signed, sketch that Don Blanding drew of my
                                > grandfather. My grandfather met Mr. Blanding when he was in Europe
                                > with the Royal Canadian Army and provided the sketch and a letter to
                                > my aunt. My aunt lost the letter,
                                snip snip
                                > "In addition to the signed hand sketch, there is another one in our
                                > possession, pastel, which my father had laminated.
                                snip snip
                                > old, valuable, sentimental stuff that I found, saved and threw
                                > together to sort out later. My grandfather did serve in the RCA in
                                > the first World War and to the best of my knowledge Don Blanding was
                                > serving, too. That's where they met. My family were living in
                                Camden,
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                I have been dealing with veterans, their families, genealogists,
                                librarians, Archivists and assorted gatekeepers for over
                                twenty years, so I always like to make corrections with the
                                greatest of respect and tact. As well, Canadian culture and traditions
                                are inscrutible to many Americans. And that doesn't matter.

                                First - there is no such thing as the "Royal Canadian Army". Never
                                has been. During the Great War we created the CANADIAN EXPEDITIONARY
                                FORCE (C.E.F.) The Brits had the BEF, the Americans had A.E.F. etc.
                                The 97th was an "O.S." - an Over Seas Battalion, but not a "fighting
                                battalion" as we call them.
                                Her grandfather was in the 97th Bn with Blanding. Her
                                grandfather was from Pennysylvania, not New Jersey. The artwork was
                                created in Nova Scotia, not in Europe. Forgive me if I don't gush
                                on this point folks, but the teeny weeny piece of Don Blanding that I
                                want to publish something original on - is Don's time in Canada.
                                I have no burning desire to own the said sketch and pastel, but I
                                would like to secure publishable images. Had the grand daughter
                                answered I would have asked for loan access of the papers. I want to
                                generate some following for DB in Canada, and this is the kind
                                of material that would help. Fair enough?

                                Anyone who wants a copy of the Don Blanding's OFFICIAL CEF personnel
                                file, please send $8 and I will go out, photocopy it and mail it
                                to you, wherever in the world you live. Email for my address.

                                > I did guess right about Majel Claflin.

                                Yes, this was in your email this AM. I did a webcrawl recently,
                                as you have. It's going a few days to bracket the remotely accessible
                                archives to flesh out her life, but this group can do it.
                                Keith you have generated several leads on Claflin's life, showing
                                she and DB stayed in touch. I wonder when and how the young lady
                                finally learned that he was gay?
                                Now go find all the artwork he surely did of her! We want results
                                by next Friday! :.)

                                Ron Jack, in rainy British Columbia
                              • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 6, 2001
                                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., RSRICHMOND@a... wrote:

                                  > What record would have been created if it had been found out that
                                  > he was gay?
                                  > Would he have been given a medical discharge? Do you have any
                                  information as
                                  > to how the Canadian Army was accustomed to deal with this rather
                                  >common problem in 1916?
                                  >
                                  > Bob Richmond
                                  > Knoxville TN

                                  Hello Bob: This is a sensitive topic, but let's be brave.
                                  Homosexuality was a crime in all armies of that era.
                                  It was also relatively common.
                                  Now of course it's just another historical topic.
                                  Homo-erotic art and poetry of WW1 has a large popular following.
                                  I have here in my library the US Army "Manual for Courts
                                  Martial, 1917", the Canadian "Kings Orders & Regulations" (KR&O) and
                                  the British "Manual of Military Law - 1929". The word "homosexual
                                  is not used, but the act is of course covered conduct and discipline
                                  clauses, as in the U.S. "To the prejudice of good order and military
                                  discipline", to the more severe wording in Commonwealth armies.
                                  If D.B. had been accused of an act by another soldier, or indeed been
                                  caught in barracks conducting himself in an "unnatural" manner, I
                                  would expect to see disciplinary action on his record. Being a
                                  foreign citizen wouldn't have saved him, under our military law.
                                  I will, ultimately, get the bottom of D.B.s failure to embark with
                                  his unit.

                                  Cheers for now.
                                  Ron Jack, Military Archives & Records Service (MARS)
                                  Burnaby, BC.
                                • keith2draw@home.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                    Bev,

                                    Good work on the Glendale Library stuff.

                                    I've seen Nell Davies Martin in the Social Security Death Index...
                                    She is listed as being born in Ohio in 1887. I'm not sure if she is
                                    the right Nell Martin. I believe Nell Martin (the author) was born in
                                    Illinois in 1890. But it could be she????

                                    Awhile back Karen found a reference to a Nell C. B. Martin passing
                                    away in Glendale in 1968. That would be Nell Columbia Boyer Martin
                                    (Martin wrote under the pseudonym of Columbia Boyer for one of her
                                    books.) Where did you get that Karen?

                                    The four Poet's Workshop books are in the bibliography...but I do not
                                    have copies of one of them: Dusk Holds The Nightingale. Maybe I could
                                    get a copy of that one from you. The cover art for Evening is a
                                    Shadow appeared somewhere else...I just can't place it right now.

                                    Yes...on the Haiku and Tanka some of the illustrations are by
                                    Don...and some are by Edythe. As tj will agree, her drawings look
                                    very much the same style as Don's though.

                                    Keith
                                  • keith2draw@home.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                      Here's some news from my source - and Ron, her name isn't
                                      bonnie...could we be talking about different people?

                                      "I will enjoy helping you and intend to send you everything I've
                                      collected and a summary of what I have been extracting from my aunt.
                                      My problem recently, has been severe time crunch. I just returned to
                                      work yesterday, after taking the two weeks to move, and everyone
                                      wants a part of me. As I was packing, sorting, dumping, and preparing
                                      for all of this, I found more stuff. I stored all my findings in my
                                      office so that they would not get lost in the move. I have a couple
                                      of pictures, even, of the training regiment in Canada, which includes
                                      my grandfather. Whether DB is in those pictures, you would have to
                                      judge. I have copies of everything to send you, including the two
                                      sketches he did of him. Please give me at least a week or two for the
                                      mailings.

                                      What interests me is the short time frame they must of knew each
                                      other if DB left after six months. And to have fancied sketching him
                                      and sending my aunt a letter years later saying that grandfather was
                                      the most handsome man he had ever met?!!"

                                      So we will just have to wait and see...I'll make copies for anyone
                                      who is interested.

                                      Ron,
                                      In your Hammett meanderings, did you ever come across any info on
                                      Nell Martin other than what was said in his biographies? Also, any
                                      references to Lorraine T. Stevens? She was in his circle, and may
                                      have been another love interest of Blanding's.

                                      I'll definately order some copies of your files. Please let me know
                                      offline where to send the money.

                                      Keith
                                    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
                                        > Here's some news from my source - and Ron, her name isn't
                                        > bonnie...could we be talking about different people?

                                        Hello fellow Blandingites... this is fun!
                                        If I could only refrain from 'fat fingering the keys'. Did I
                                        really write "Pennysylvania" yesterday. Lash me with a wet noodle!
                                        Keith... I guess you hadn't read the private email
                                        I sent early this A.M. The lady (above) is archived as "Bonnie
                                        Switken" in Cadia's Guestbook, for last January. No matter. You've
                                        "taken care of business", as they say. Good work.

                                        > What interests me is the short time frame they must of knew each
                                        > other if DB left after six months. And to have fancied sketching him
                                        > and sending my aunt a letter years later saying that grandfather was
                                        > the most handsome man he had ever met?!!"

                                        It is my belief that they knew each other for a week or so.
                                        Further research will tell the tale. I agree that the comment is
                                        an eye raiser. In today's laid back society it is common coin. I
                                        have complimented a number of men on their great looks, but it was
                                        a little more awkward eighty years ago.

                                        > So we will just have to wait and see...I'll make copies for anyone
                                        > who is interested.

                                        Yes Keith, as I have a work "in progress" on men of the 97th
                                        Battalion, CEF, I would like to get copies of the Allenback papers. I
                                        am especially interested in the group photos, or any photos - and
                                        would make copies at my own expense. Because the 97th was broken up
                                        for reinforcements there is no "potted" regimental history to turn to.
                                        Let's just swap data - no money exchange. And of course as I continue
                                        to research the 97th the group will share anything interesting that
                                        turns up. I think you will agree that I am experienced enough to work
                                        the Canadian end.

                                        All of this of course begs the question... Which of you out there has
                                        gone to the trouble of purchasing a copy of Blandings AMERICAN army
                                        service file. If he was still sweet on Miss Claflin a year later,
                                        she may still be listed as a "fiancee". AND if he didn't mention his
                                        previous military experience in Canada, that would be an indication
                                        that he deserted the CEF or had been disciplined. Riiiiight!
                                        If we have a group researcher in Maryland area, we could have the
                                        file within a week. Self service photocopying. The largest US army
                                        pension file in my private archives (M.A.R.S.) is over a thousand
                                        pages.

                                        See you guys and gals. Ron Jack in Canada
                                      • keith2draw@home.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                          Ron,

                                          Several of us have Blanding's American military records, and there is
                                          no mention of Majel Claflin (or any fiance) in his 1917 record.

                                          Keith

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                            tj is interested and would want a copies....tj
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 7, 2001
                                              I think Edythes’ art is more realistic and not as fanciful as Dons’.

                                              You are right Karen. The Dunnys' were not know for being clean, but they
                                              were free spirits. The Dunes are south of Pismo Beach and really not easy to
                                              get too without a dun buggies.

                                              Keith, I’ll send what I have and copy all of Dusk Hold the Nightingale if
                                              you want.

                                              Ron Jack, ask away and I’ll try and recall. Do it here as everyone helps
                                              out.

                                            • keith2draw@home.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 8, 2001
                                                Bev,

                                                A copy of 'Dusk' would be great...but it doesn't have to be all of
                                                it. Just the cover, title page, forward, index (very important for
                                                the names) and any of DBs artwork (or dedications or tributes to
                                                him). If you recognize any of the poets...maybe copy their poetry too.

                                                I really appreciate it. At one time I had three of the four Poetry
                                                workshop books...and I sold them all. I've since bought one back, but
                                                I may never find the others again.

                                                ~~ Keith