Re: The Bird of Paradise myth

  • keith2draw@home.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
      Ron,

      You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
      always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
      white lies.

      The first time I can recollect him telling the 'Bird of Paradise'
      story is in the early thirties...which means his facts could have
      been fuzzy by then. For one thing, Lenore Ulrich made the role of
      Luana famous...but she was never performing that role during the time
      DB would have been in KC.

      As you can see, we're still not exactly sure when Blanding DID arrive
      in the islands. My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
      transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
      have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
      1915 and never attended them.

      We may never know for sure. But I love a mystery...so the search goes
      on.

      ~~ Keith
    • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
        --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., keith2draw@h... wrote:
        > Ron,
        >
        > You're very perceptive. Blanding was a bit of a showman, and I've
        > always felt he embellished his stories and experiences with little
        > white lies.
        > My best guess is Dec. 1916 because of his college
        > transcripts...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. He could
        > have enrolled for the March 1916 classes, but left in the winter of
        > 1915 and never attended them.

        Keith... Bingo! You are absolutely right! He enrolled for the
        March 1916 classes in Chicago, but never attended.
        In a day or two I will fill you in on what he was really doing.
        I have to get into my research binders tonight and cross index a
        little.
        Cheers Ron Jack

        PS Keith and Cadio both. My Yahoo account is registered in Asia
        (although I am in greater Vancouver, B.C.)
        which is why the header shows Monday August 6, early a.m.
        If you care that your posts have the correst date and time,
        you cannot bounce my message back with annotations. You have
        to generate a new message. Sorry.
      • Michael Brookman
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
          Cadia, I forgot that you're in Seattle! Thanks to our new Canadian friend,
          Ron, the connection in the little grey cells clicked. I'll be coming from
          Idaho (Shakespeare Fest and backpacking in the Sawtooths) and would like to
          come through your town on the way back to California. If you give me the
          address of your shop, I'll be sure to visit. I should be through on
          September 6th or so. Looking forward to meeting you, I've been visiting
          your website for about 2 years. Thx, michael brookman
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2001
            Michael and Ron....

            As most of the group knows, I do not have a shop at the Market. That
            is just my mailing address. However, Michael, I would enjoy meeting
            you in September. Since the 6th is a weekday, I'll be working but
            I'm sure we can schedule lunch or something. And Ron, if you get
            down this way, please let me know as well.

            As for time/date on e-mails, that is controlled by the sender. If a
            message is sent from the group website (as I generally do), the time
            is recorded as Pacific (Seattle) time regardless of the location of
            sender or recipient. In any case, the messages appear in the order
            received. Many group members do not receive individual e-mails so
            the time/date on the header is not important anyway.

            For my personal e-mail address, I frequently get responses to e-mails
            that appear to have been sent before I even send a message -- mainly
            because the sender has not set his/her e-mail system to local time.
            Sometimes even the year is wrong!